Snapped spring on KW1

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Snapped spring on KW1 coil overs .
Only done 6k miles, most of which have been lightly loaded.
Most van has carried is about 600 kg.
76471DA4-0C78-4044-BA97-6F929E56CCAC.jpeg

All being dealt with very smoothly, but a bit annoying nonetheless!
Anyone else had quality issues with KW1?

I reckon I've been really unlucky here as I researched what suspension to fit before choosing KW1 and I couldn't find anything other than great reviews.

Fingers crossed this will just be a case of a trip to Bognor Motors for a new spring and all will be well.

I was a bit worried that VW assist would be a problem as the spring that has failed is obviously aftermarket. (I needn't have worried because they simply send out an AA man and he then organised a truck to collect van to take to @BognorMotors at 8 am tomorrow morning.
Couldn't be smoother!)

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
I reckon I've been really unlucky here as I researched what suspension to fit before choosing KW1 and I couldn't find anything other than great reviews.

Fingers crossed this will just be a case of a trip to Bognor Motors for a new spring and all will be well.

I was a bit worried that VW assist would be a problem as the spring that has failed is obviously aftermarket. (I needn't have worried because they simply send out an AA man and he then organised a truck to collect van to take to @BognorMotors at 8 am tomorrow morning.
Couldn't be smoother!)
Must be the only time when you call VW Assist and demand a yellow van to be sent out!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Must be the only time when you call VW Assist and demand a yellow van to be sent out!
I'd be happy with any colour van available @JOG. I had a days work to do tomorrow that now needs to be done at the weekend!

Oh heck Oli.... I don't want people to think that my issue is in any way associated with @BognorMotors!
I am in awe of how smoothly @BognorMotors have been able to assist me, particularly when the coil overs in question were supplied elsewhere!
This is just a bad luck thing and clearly an unusual one-off issue with KW V1's.
I've Googled snapped KW coil over spring and very little comes up. If this was even mildly common, loads would come back!

Bognor Morors fixed my issue already and raised my ride height a little at the same time.
Looks like manufacturing fault defect in the spring:

F31FC0AE-1430-424C-810E-A5889076E449.jpeg7B56D491-7FF4-4135-ACB4-3FA2E4006BC0.jpeg

Oli didn't supply this. The coil overs were from The Van Cave as I simply gave them to them to fit!

View attachment 145124

Oli didn't supply this. The coil overs were from The Van Cave as I simply gave them to them to fit!
I see I’m a bit late to the party on this, but as others have already said that’s a huge surprise on a KW kit.

I would happily have sent you a replacement if I had known about the issue before you had it fixed, but I’m glad to hear that it’s resolved.

We have sold hundreds of these kits and haven’t come across any issues. Are you getting it replaced swiftly and under warranty. Is the spring yellow ?
All sorted out immediately by Bognor Motors who didn't even supply the kit in the first place. All resolved less than 24 hours and whilst I was there the DSG software was applied. OMG.....it is so much better.

Yes the spring was yellow. Why do you ask about the colour?

All sorted out immediately by Bognor Motors who didn't even supply the kit in the first place. All resolved less than 24 hours and whilst I was there the DSG software was applied. OMG.....it is so much better.

Yes the spring was yellow. Why do you ask about the colour?
The KW kits we supply are private label kits and have black springs. I don’t think they are any different However but as I said hundreds sold not one issue. Let’s hope your problem was a one off isolated case and not a repeat of the b14 fiasco

I see I’m a bit late to the party on this, but as others have already said that’s a huge surprise on a KW kit.

I would happily have sent you a replacement if I had known about the issue before you had it fixed, but I’m glad to hear that it’s resolved.
I don't doubt that at all chris.
You were so helpful when I grabbed all this kit in the first place and I have no gripe with anyone. This is simply a one off dodgy spring which is clearly mega rare and it's been sorted with no problems.
I am happy and I would still recommend KW V1. I just had bad luck!

The KW kits we supply are private label kits and have black springs. I don’t think they are any different However but as I said hundreds sold not one issue. Let’s hope your problem was a one off isolated case and not a repeat of the b14 fiasco
I am really certain that this is a one off. If you look at the photos, the spring has a manufacturing defect in the form of a void in the body of the spring. Once moisture gif into the void and the reduced cross section was used over 6k miles it broke.
Nobody would have known at the time of supply or at the time of fitting.
The point is that you can find anything that is sold in any sort of volume and there will be a small percentage that will have a fault. That's life. I'm ok with that and still very happy that this has been resolved.

You’ve taken it to the right place to get it resolved, nevertheless there’s a certain amount of irony about a snapped KW rear spring.

There are those on here who take great pleasure in saying how the Bilstein springs are made of chocolate.

For what it’s worth a mate of mine has Van Slams and one of his rear springs broke too, so it appears rear springs from all brands can snap on occasion.

View attachment 145124

Yep snapped rear. Fitted for around 22 months, van carries around 350kg max. Lets see how KW customer service perform

And 14k miles later and there was a bang on a flat straight road and the near side rear spring has now failed! I'm guessing that I'm just unlucky but 2 failed in less that's 2 years!
IMG_0341.jpegThat has to be a manufacturing issue with a batch of springs surely?

I'll be needing to speak nicely to Bognor Motors to see if I can get them to fit me in to fix me up again, but now in a quandary over wether or not it is safe to drive 50 miles with the spring like that!

And 14k miles later and there was a bang on a flat straight road and the near side rear spring has now failed! I'm guessing that I'm just unlucky but 2 failed in less that's 2 years!
View attachment 201725That has to be a manufacturing issue with a batch of springs surely?

I'll be needing to speak nicely to Bognor Motors to see if I can get them to fit me in to fix me up again, but now in a quandary over wether or not it is safe to drive 50 miles with the spring like that!
Kw sent a spring out free of charge within a week!

Back