Smoking T5 - black and white!

Cailean77

Hi

I have issue with a friends van t5 hoping someone can help.
He was driving down the road van started smoking(black). EmL came on and limp mode for short distance then died.
Garage recovered it and diagnosed Dpf. New one fitted but would not start.
I have now been given the task to figure it out.
On trying to start noticed white smoke from behind engine. On inspection was leaking between dpf and turbo. I removed flexi to back of dpf and found no smoke/gas coming through. Removed new dpf and inlet full of black oil sludge and ex turbo impellar also clogged up. I have removed as much as I can and removed egr which was not too bad. It starts for few seconds then dies with a lot of white smoke.
I'm thinking turbo has failed but this should still start with dpf removed and egr. No codes on scan only the exhaust sensor but should still go. Impellar seems OK and no broken shaft. Fuel pressure hits correct value

Hi Cailean77
I think I have the same issue after installing a new turbo but mine starts first go and smoke comes from turbo/ exhaust clamp aswell as white smoke from exhaust. It's funny though as mine only starts to smoke after changing into second gear and then I can feel a shudder/ misfire and then the smoke starts. Did you sort out yours??

Hi Cailean77
I think I have the same issue after installing a new turbo but mine starts first go and smoke comes from turbo/ exhaust clamp aswell as white smoke from exhaust. It's funny though as mine only starts to smoke after changing into second gear and then I can feel a shudder/ misfire and then the smoke starts. Did you sort out yours??

@Cailean77 hasn't been on the Forum for 11 months so it's fair to assume that he / she might not read your message.
My advice is to post your full symptoms and history with the van along with the engine code and any diagnostic fault codes, hopefully then somebody can advise you.

Back