Slider door not opening on key fob

update: i removed the latch mechanism from the rear of the door (a lot easier than i first expected) then tested the microswitch with a multi meter.
Was working fine, re assembled & issue resolved. Door opens & closes every time :)

Similar problem. Central locking not releasing the sliding door lock and random door open messages on the dash, despite not having been able to open it in the first place! Gently patting the door lock area whilst holding the unlock on the key fob will usually get it open. Booked in at VW Stoke on 12th April.

I took out the latch & cleaned the switch.
cleared that problem, but currently can’t lock all the doors from the inside. Works great from the key fob, so will hopefully find a fix for the new problem

Had this today on my 2016, took the door card off from inside, drilled little hole in the latch mechanism and flooded it with penetrating oil and left it a while and now ok, had to do this lots on vws over the years I think it’s got a lot to do with the grease they use it goes claggy but also they do get water ingress it’s an easy fix but dealers will say it’s the latch, just make sure you seal the hole after I do it with a dollop of rtv

View attachment 96039

View attachment 96040

View attachment 96041

View attachment 96042
8 out of 10 times neither the fob nor the interior handle will open my slider. The big square plastic knob on the inside which you push down to lock the slider is not popping up when I try to unlock. So considering giving this a try. When you say you "flooded" it with penetrating oil, roughly how long are you spraying for? 5 seconds, 30 seconds or....? Thanks, Paul

Mines done it since I’ve owned it, what i do is, i hit the unlock button on the fob and then open the handle split second after, that way it unlocks. Though I will probably take it apart

Had this today on my 2016, took the door card off from inside, drilled little hole in the latch mechanism and flooded it with penetrating oil and left it a while and now ok, had to do this lots on vws over the years I think it’s got a lot to do with the grease they use it goes claggy but also they do get water ingress it’s an easy fix but dealers will say it’s the latch, just make sure you seal the hole after I do it with a dollop of rtv

View attachment 96039

View attachment 96040

View attachment 96041

View attachment 96042
I've just done this on my T6 Caravelle. One of the sliders is (was) reluctant to unlock.

Getting the trim off was a pain, and scary, I did it without trim pliers/tools, used a substantial flat wooden spoon from the kitchen which in retrospect was a false economy. I didn't break any clips (yet!) but the clips are all stuck in the door so I have had to order trim pliers anyway to remove them and re-insert on the trim side ready for putting the trim back on. I pulled the trim off enough to be able to access the latch mechanism with my drill, to be honest I'm not sure I could have removed the whole trim anyway!

I resealed the drilled hole with insulating tape. Fingers crossed it will works..... Will report back.

I've just done this on my T6 Caravelle. One of the sliders is (was) reluctant to unlock.

Getting the trim off was a pain, and scary, I did it without trim pliers/tools, used a substantial flat wooden spoon from the kitchen which in retrospect was a false economy. I didn't break any clips (yet!) but the clips are all stuck in the door so I have had to order trim pliers anyway to remove them and re-insert on the trim side ready for putting the trim back on. I pulled the trim off enough to be able to access the latch mechanism with my drill, to be honest I'm not sure I could have removed the whole trim anyway!

I resealed the drilled hole with insulating tape. Fingers crossed it will works..... Will report back.
Well 2 weeks later, and my slider has been reliably opening 100% of the time! Great.

Refitting the trim was fiddly but not too bad.

So I recommend this fix if your slider problem is that the door is not reliably unlocking.

View attachment 96039

View attachment 96040

View attachment 96041

View attachment 96042
Thanks for the above advice Niknak!
My door has been getting worse over the last 12 months and this weekend it wouldn’t open via the key fob or the internal handle.
Followed your instructions and it’s now 100% fine!
Just wished I’d done it sooner.
Cheers
Phil.

View attachment 96039

View attachment 96040

View attachment 96041

View attachment 96042

Dreamy! This worked for me :)

Thanks @Niknak !

The side door on my PV started to not unlock as per everyone else in the thread. It would take several attempts, and on the 5th or 6th might finally unlock. It's been like that for months. It then failed to unlock at all last week. I opened it this morning by using pliers on the internal button. I drilled the hole as directed by our dear departed @Niknak, gave it a liberal portion of WD40, let it soak in while I made a cuppa, and then exercised it a few times. It worked first time, every time. I've given it some more WD, and put a rag it to catch the drips coming out from the cable.

Awesome, easy fix. The forum delivers again. All done by 10am on a Monday morning. :thumbsup:

side door lock.jpg

Great but please use any other lubricant with no aggressive ingredients.
WD40 is amazing for rusty bolts/nuts but not for precise mechanics and electrical switches/contacts.
Agree it works as a quick solution but in long run cleaned contacts are exposed to accelerated corrosion and effectively premature permanent failure.

Great but please use any other lubricant with no aggressive ingredients.
WD40 is amazing for rusty bolts/nuts but not for precise mechanics and electrical switches/contacts.
Agree it works as a quick solution but in long run cleaned contacts are exposed to accelerated corrosion and effectively premature permanent failure.
Don't diss the WD. It's been good to me over the years.... My old dad even used to polish his car with it. Or 3 in One for extra shine. :cool:

20240122_151022_resized.jpg

CRC 5.56 any good?..

The side door on my PV started to not unlock as per everyone else in the thread. It would take several attempts, and on the 5th or 6th might finally unlock. It's been like that for months. It then failed to unlock at all last week. I opened it this morning by using pliers on the internal button. I drilled the hole as directed by our dear departed @Niknak, gave it a liberal portion of WD40, let it soak in while I made a cuppa, and then exercised it a few times. It worked first time, every time. I've given it some more WD, and put a rag it to catch the drips coming out from the cable.

Awesome, easy fix. The forum delivers again. All done by 10am on a Monday morning. :thumbsup:

View attachment 226496
Just done exactly the same and fixed straight away - now locks and unlocks on the button (literally) thanks @Niknak (if you ever come back!)

Back