Sliding door won’t close.

PCave

I have a 2018 T6, I was putting some stuff inside today, finished what I was doing and tried to close the door, it will slide closed, but the latch doesn’t seem to be working properl and the door just opens again, at the moment I have some cord holding it closed, but it’s not closed properly, obviously I’m worried about security and the weather and I can’t get to the local dealer until Monday morning, any suggestions??

could be a fault with the door handle part it is a common problem
I had to have mine replaced under warranty.
you may be able to remove the cable from the catch to get it to close,remove the door card and look to the left at the catch.

There is other information on the forum about it.

Hope this helps

Door Locking Problems

could be a fault with the door handle part it is a common problem
I had to have mine replaced under warranty.
you may be able to remove the cable from the catch to get it to close,remove the door card and look to the left at the catch.

There is other information on the forum about it.

Hope this helps

Door Locking Problems
Did what you advised, not sure what I did, but it worked and door now close, but will still see what VW have to say. Thanks again

I’ve just got the same issue. Will try taking the card out and taking a look. What the the garage said PCave?

I’ve sorted mine. I had installed a Kieravan door store and you have to unclip the door lock cable to fit it. I think the cable had gone into a less than ideal location so the tension wasn’t right and hence it wouldn’t lock. I moved the cable to a new location down as low as it will go and now door works fine.

I have a 2018 T6, I was putting some stuff inside today, finished what I was doing and tried to close the door, it will slide closed, but the latch doesn’t seem to be working properl and the door just opens again, at the moment I have some cord holding it closed, but it’s not closed properly, obviously I’m worried about security and the weather and I can’t get to the local dealer until Monday morning, any suggestions??
We had the same problem. Previously leaving it an hour and trying again worked. Didn’t work tonight and then we cleaned the contact points and it worked perfectly straight away

This sounds like the exactly same issue that happened with mine not long after I got the van in 2019. When I went to slide the door shut, it wouldn't go all the way and almost seemed to 'bounce' off of the latching point. In the end, I phoned VW Assist and the white van turned up fairly quickly. The bloke replaced a part in the door - sorry, I can't remember what part it was but I do remember being surprised that he had such an obscure part in the van and therefore concluded that it was probably a common issue. About 4 months later the same thing happened and rather than phoning VW straight away, I tried locking and unlocking the door with the key which made NO difference. I then locked the [open] door mechanism using the inside button and unlocking it with the inside handle a couple of times and it sorted itself out. IIRC, it happened again about six months later, again in June this year when we were in France and again last month when we were in Croatia. Each time, using the internal button and handle worked again. Hope this helps but let me know if you need me to explain further (it sounded clear enough in my own head but.........).

Last edited:
Back