Sliding door table rubbing on wheel arch cover

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have replaced the sliding door card with a table but I find when the door is fully open, it rubs agains the wheel arch, which incidentally has the Vw wheel arch cover fitted. The door clears the arch until the middle hinge locks the door back as it pulls the door towards the van. If I pull lightly at the rear of the door it moves away from the arch. The middle hinge is spring loaded to push the door away from the body when opened, but is not under tension when the door is in the Fully open position. Is this normal, or has the spring become weak with use? If

E69E4B64-323A-453A-8D50-39DFFFBD79E5.jpeg

Mine is almost rubbing the door without the plastic arch trim so you may have to remove the plastic trim.
It is possible to adjust the door. Search ‘sliding door adjustment’ on the Forum and you’ll find it’s a common issue.
The standard fir tree clips won’t be up to securing the door card with the added weight of the table. When the door is slammed the clips will release slightly and the card will come away from the door a few mm allowing the table to rub the bodywork.
I added self adhesive HD velcro, gluing one side to the ply board as the self adhesive glue doesn‘t last on wood. No longer an issue.

Back