Power-Latching sliding-door problems

Gah, now my retro-fitted soft close slider kit isn’t shutting about once every 10 closes or so.

I’ve cleaned up the contacts to no avail.

When you guys had the issue with the door not pulling in did you get ‘door open’ on the display?

@Insert Coin - with mine, it never failed to power latch close if it had already power latched open.
I therefore would never have seen a "door open" message.
If it didn't power latch open then I had to shut it more forcibly to close fully.
Does that make sense?

Hmm, yep makes sense, but not the same issue as mine I don’t think.

I’ll watch it carefully to note exactly what it does, sometimes it won’t open from outside with the handle, so I open the passenger door and reach in to open it. But I’m not 100% sure if it then closes correctly or not, I’ll need to see what happens next time and see if there’s a pattern.

So glad I read this, I was going to retro-fit a kit but sod it I’ll use my arm instead.

@DXX - I am sure that out of the many thousands of vans that Vw produce, only a small minority have trouble with power latching.
But when things do go wrong and a valid claim is made under warranty, then Vw certainly know how to drag it out before it's fixed.
Since I collected Buster, he has behaved perfectly, so I hope all is good now...

If I had the power of foresight, I don't think I would have ticked the "GZ3 Power Latching" box on the options list, not just to save me the not so costly sum of £110.00, but to save me the time & effort of chasing Vw & seemingly getting fobbed off for 8 weeks whilst they decided what was wrong.

Using "your arm instead" is, in my opinion the best decision to make!!

Reactions: DXX
@DXX - I am sure that out of the many thousands of vans that Vw produce, only a small minority have trouble with power latching.
But when things do go wrong and a valid claim is made under warranty, then Vw certainly know how to drag it out before it's fixed.
Since I collected Buster, he has behaved perfectly, so I hope all is good now...

If I had the power of foresight, I don't think I would have ticked the "GZ3 Power Latching" box on the options list, not just to save me the not so costly sum of £110.00, but to save me the time & effort of chasing Vw & seemingly getting fobbed off for 8 weeks whilst they decided what was wrong.

Using "your arm instead" is, in my opinion the best decision to make!!

In our case, the retro-fitted power latching was a godsend because the kids only have little arms so the power latching was the difference between them closing the door and yelling for me to do it!

That’s my experience too, I would never have a van without it again !

In our case, the retro-fitted power latching was a godsend because the kids only have little arms so the power latching was the difference between them closing the door and yelling for me to do it!

That’s my experience too, I would never have a van without it again !

@Pauly - have you got little arms also?

When I saw you @ Brook Meadows last time, your arms looked quite a normal length!!

Its the frustration of kids not being able to shut the door, you pull over to pick them up, stop/start kicks in and small child gets in back and fails to shut door, child lock stop him from having another go so you have to get out and walk around and do it yourself and now because the drivers door has opened the engine refuses to start again so you have to key off and back on again, once you have done that your wife has done that a few times and bent your ear about it soft close is a god send

Last edited:
@Pauly - have you got little arms also?

When I saw you @ Brook Meadows last time, your arms looked quite a normal length!!
My wife’s got short arms…..specially when it comes to paying for stuff……I’m a big plus for power closing doors :)

Its the frustration of kids not being able to shut the door, you pull over to pick them up, stop/start kicks in and small child gets in back and fails to shut door, child lock stop him from having another go so you have to get out and walk around and do it yourself and now because the drivers door has opened the engine refuses to start again so you have to key off and back on again, once you have done that your wife has done that a few times and bent your ear about it soft close is a god send
One benefit of having a pair of Captains seats, but I get your point.

7E0959243E for the module
Power latching is the small rectangular box that takes 1 plug with 8 pins
The electric door control module has a very similar part number but is much larger and has four connection plugs
Hi @Pauly

My van was recently having a side resprayed after Februarys storm damage and the place I was having this done were worried it had become faulty with them (the electric door control module), it hadn’t as it’s been intermittent for a while.

I have this booked in with VW under warranty next Friday but just wondering where this module will be located as I have lined and insulated the van. Is it in the rear quarter, and is it one module or one for each side slider?

Other point is I have told VW what it is as the body shop garage had an auto electrician look at it. However they are reluctant to take my word for it and I can see a return visit when they get the parts in….

Thanks in advance

Control modules live in rear quarter panel and it’s one module per door

If door only has power latching it’s a small module approx 3x2 inch if you have full electric sliders then it’s a large module approx 6 or 7 inches square

I’d be tempted to swap out the module myself to save all the hassle of dealing with VW X 2. It’s a simple job.
I got a 2nd hand module off eBay for £15.

Control modules live in rear quarter panel and it’s one module per door

If door only has power latching it’s a small module approx 3x2 inch if you have full electric sliders then it’s a large module approx 6 or 7 inches square
Thanks @Pauly

Do you know where abouts in the rear quarter at all. Didn’t notice it when insulting.

Are they an expensive part?

Cheers

I’d be tempted to swap out the module myself to save all the hassle of dealing with VW X 2. It’s a simple job.
I got a 2nd hand module off eBay for £15.
If they’re only that much I would do it as the rear quarters all lined and tops are fixed in with soffits around my HiLo. I thought they were fairly pricy control modules.

Back