Sliding door maintenance

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just wondered if there was any advice / VW schedule for maintaining the sliding door(s)?

I guess keeping roller bearings and latches well lubricated and checking slider mechanism fixings for tightness are the things that spring to mind.

Anything else to consider? There have been a few threads regarding door faults and just wondered if there is anything we could do to try and pre-empt a repair?

When dad taught me to service cars, oiling all the hinges, latches and locks incl boot and bonnet was on the ‘tick sheet’.

Ian

Another good reason to DIY (I kind of assumed the garage wouldn’t do them - seized / broken locks and hinges = more £££)

Depending on how dirty your van gets be careful with the lube on the lower roller.
I was greasing this but if you go to a beach on a breezy day and it gets coated in sand it will create so much wear it would be better leaving it dry.

As @DXX says. Be careful with the grease as they may be designed to run dry to stop dust and dirt sticking to them. Maybe some sort of dry lube would help but I’m no expert!!

We don’t get much sand in land locked Leicestershire but do get the odd seagull!

My van was serviced at VW recently. The drivers door hinge was creaking like a haunted house door on Scooby Doo. I figured they'd grease it, but no. It came back still as dry as a nuns front bottom.
Mine have done that on both sides, I think they can eventually seize if left unseen to, I remember someone on here had a snapped hinge around the roller which was a pain to swap out because you need to get them body colour spayed first as they only come primed.

The top cap prises off easily and I just put a bit of WD40 on there which keeps them rolling and ghost noise free.

What's the best approach then? My lower roller has seized, so guess I should be cautious and just try and free the wheel with some light oil

Just wondered if there was any advice / VW schedule for maintaining the sliding door(s)?

I guess keeping roller bearings and latches well lubricated and checking slider mechanism fixings for tightness are the things that spring to mind.

Anything else to consider? There have been a few threads regarding door faults and just wondered if there is anything we could do to try and pre-empt a repair?

When dad taught me to service cars, oiling all the hinges, latches and locks incl boot and bonnet was on the ‘tick sheet’.

Ian
Yea, I’m keen to have a good look at my handle and door release mechanism.

I have a twin slider, and the less frequently used door opens really nicely whilst the other is really stiff. The handle requires more force to release and open, and it feels like it could break.

I’d love to hear any advice on this.

I’ve been pondering this task again today and was about to go in search of dry lube!

If Asda sell it I can sneak it through on the food cost centre :)
unless you get caught and you might need lube!

Ok- so here’s one for the cyclists and physicists among you!
I was reading this great thread and wanting to lubricate the slider and I didn’t want to buy another lubricant.
However, I have loads of dry lube in the garage……BUT how on earth would I apply it to the rollers and track with the wee bottle?
Bingo! One bendy straw from ages ago in the kitchen drawer (Gonna reuse it of course, as not to harm any marine life;)), partially fill with dry lubricant from the bottle, thumb over the other end, release thumb to direct flow to bottom roller, puff gently into the straw to apply over top roller against gravity!
We go to the beach a LOT so I couldn’t risk greasing anything, this should do the trick….the lubricant came out tops in several cycling studies!

4B4C2E44-FB7A-42C9-BC20-A4F9989B3B3E.jpeg

Yea, I’m keen to have a good look at my handle and door release mechanism.

I have a twin slider, and the less frequently used door opens really nicely whilst the other is really stiff. The handle requires more force to release and open, and it feels like it could break.

I’d love to hear any advice on this.
Update: I managed to made my second door latch much lighter (less stiff), and made the door easier to open and close.

I did so by adjusting the height of the door, which appeared to have slipped down over time. Having the seldom-used second sliding door for comparison was really useful. And then I adjusted the metal door latch on the frame. Hope that makes sense. I’ll include some photos.

0388CE8F-804C-4FF7-BA2F-F35BF4639708.jpeg

D05B6952-1BFE-4089-A4DA-F837F834D5EC.jpeg

The spring end has slipped out on mine so I keep a screwdriver in the van to wind that hinge up periodically.

Update on my lower roller, it still works but sounds like the bearing's gone, so I have one to replace it. But it looks like a job that would benefit from a ramp.

I also took the opportunity to get the lower roller with safety lock, as my replacement door (back when we got the van) turned out to have the caravelle mechanism where you pull the handle forwards and it has a bowden cable down to the lower roller. And I bought a plastic cover to finish it off nicely

Back