Sliding door halfway stop - do they exist?

oscar_van

I've been looking for a way to hold the sliding door open about a third or halfway. There's this cunning widget for a Crafter, but Google and a forum search has drawn a blank for Transporter equivalent. Does anyone know of anything that's out there? Thanks!
The eBay seller suggests that one might fit, but it looks like I'd have to remove the body panel between the rail and the window to get access.

Last edited:
I would have thought it will fit exactly the same. It's only a wedge that gets bonded onto the runner.
The side panel Pop's off easy enough.

Another option could be that you use it on the lower runner?

looks to me like the black wedge is set down into the rail, maybe?
side panel does pop off but breaks most of the clips when it does, so new ones needed.

Thanks all - I've just ordered one, so will do some investigation and update. Removing the panel doesn't look too bad, but I'll check out the lower roller too. My only fear is sticking it on and then doing lasting damage if it doesn't work and needs to be removed, so if anyone knows about adhesives then feel free to chip in! :)

Sikaflex, sticks like shit or even industrial double sided tape. Just make sure you degrease the metal runner first.

I'm pretty sure it will work as intended on the crafter tbh.

OK, it's arrived and it's tiny. 2mm high at the tallest bit. I've tried it with some very thin tape on the lower runner, just to see how it worked. It certainly does the job but feels a bit clunky. It takes more force than I'm comfortable with to jump the roller up onto the stop, and sounds a bit nasty when it drops back off the other end. I'm going to see if I can get it onto the roller in the side panel instead, and perhaps see about sanding it down a bit too - that might make for a smoother transition onto and off it. Perhaps reducing the height along its entire length might reduce the displacement from the standard travel path to a level that I'm happier with, too. I'm fairly confident you could reduce the height and still leave enough depression to hold the door. I'll report back if I have any success.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

I suppose thinking about it by having it on the lower runner it's taking all of the weight of the door, where as placing it on the upper sliding Chanel it would be a lot less force needed and less chance of the door actually lifting up.

Back