Sleep/goodnight packs & aftermarket solutions/opinions (Caravelle)

TimT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone got the mentioned above genuine things/similar bit (like mattress and multiflex board), with picture in situ and opinion on said products?

I want to use my velle for short weekends on route to a final destination (where I have a joy for sleeping in a tent. No idea why. Just love it) but I'm umming and ahhing about whether to buy aftermarket, make myself or just go all out on some OE stuff.

I'd rather just buy at this stage as I want to go away now lockdown has been seriously lifted (mans wanting to avoid beach cess-pools, however...)

Any suggestions/opinions would be great

MY2017
Carravelle
Executive sub
Fold flat 3 person bench
Two middle seats and table

:)

hi mate being tight I made my own legs of e bay sheet of ply carpeted put a piano hinge in board seat end out at moment can post photo 2moro if you wish still got template for board you can use easy to post cost less than £200 all in :thumbsup:

If you have all 7 seats in, when you fold the backrests of row 2 seats fully forward, they are the same height as the rear bench/bed when that is folded flat. You only need a mattress to go over that.

Has anyone got the mentioned above genuine things/similar bit (like mattress and multifelxboard), with picture in situ and opinion on said products?

I want to use my velle for short weekends on route to a final destination (where I have a joy for sleeping in a tent. No idea why. Just love it) but I'm umming and ahhing about whether to buy aftermarket, make myself or just go all out on some OE stuff.

I'd rather just buy at this stage as I want to go away now lockdown has been seriously lifted (mans wanting to avoid beach cess pools, however...)

Any suggestions/opinions would be great

MY2017
Carravelle
Executive sub
Fold flat 3 person bench
Two middle seats and table

:)

I opted for the good night pack (haven't seen it yet) because it incorporated a mattress, window blinds and the perfectly fitted drawers that are under the bench seat. These are all things I would have been buying aftermarket anyway (although finding boxes with rollers that perfectly fit under the seats might have been difficult) so for a couple of quid extra I ticked the box. We'll wait and see if it feels like money well spent when I finally get the van.

If you have all 7 seats in, when you fold the backrests of row 2 seats fully forward, they are the same height as the rear bench/bed when that is folded flat. You only need a mattress to go over that.
Yeah, I spent about 5 hours fully messing about with different arrangments just to see how german it all was. (There is literally a mtehod for everything) - i noticed this when i folded it all flat - however, i am left confused as to which end you are meant to put your head in this config.. being away from the door handles and the interior monitor switch is a problem but sleeping on the hard back on th seats (even with a mattress) seems counter intuitive, as well as the gap between the two seats.
There is a seller on ebay called steefree that makes all this sort of thing for the caravelle,looks really good stuff
Yeah, came acroos this chap. I agree. Does look good. Its a shame though, there was some stuff the bay.de that looked even better,but, if thignns go tits up, not exaclty easy to sort out.

I opted for the good night pack (haven't seen it yet) because it incorporated a mattress, window blinds and the perfectly fitted drawers that are under the bench seat. These are all things I would have been buying aftermarket anyway (although finding boxes with rollers that perfectly fit under the seats might have been difficult) so for a couple of quid extra I ticked the box. We'll wait and see if it feels like money well spent when I finally get the van.
Are you the chap who said he would take some pics for me? the roller boxes under the rear seat would be an extremely usueful addition - A 9 litre 'RUB' (really useful box) box will fit under each section, but, not on rollers. What was the cost of the pack?

hi mate being tight I made my own legs of e bay sheet of ply carpeted put a piano hinge in board seat end out at moment can post photo 2moro if you wish still got template for board you can use easy to post cost less than £200 all in :thumbsup:
Ply might be ok. its what i would consider using but im not exactly experienced using a jig saw and i am terrible at working with anything other than virgin wood (i hate MDF with an ultimate passion. We have a fuedal relationship. I ponder on why it exists....)
I may take you up on the offer.. (id rather 'pay someone else' atm.. im having a headache with getting raw materials where i live.. - i had to travel 30 miles to get some blinking sanding pads the other week. oh, and i had the last board of MDF that was going to be available for two weeks..) Ill let you know. Thanks :)

hi mate it was me who offered to post pictures can do later if that helps showing bed set up+ board n legs easy to do I managed it

@TimT6 The Caravelle sleeping arrangements are always going to be a compromise. Think of it as a vehicle to carry people or stuff and provide somewhere to sleep only if the Premier Inn is full. It's not a camper, so the 'bed' is what it is.

I think that most would sleep with their head against the tailgate, even in a camper, so the hard seat backs are just for your feet. I've not tried to see if the table fills the gap as I've taken row 2 seats and the table out of mine.

as dubber says slept in mine few times comfy enough especially with a mattress head at tailgate end found mattress covered gap between 2 singles ok no dip

Yeah, the gap between the seats is not much in all honesty. I'm prepared to compromise - I just want to explore options first, see if there is a worked out work around or if i have to conjure up a couple ideas i already have.

I want to put some sliding windows in the end my head goes, this is why I'm debating how to set up the rear... early days.

I agree that I will be having to put my bounce up the tailgate end in current config

We only have the three seater Caravelle seat/bed in the back and two captains seats in the cab. We can't have the multiflex board etc at the back because we have a big dog cage there. We have found that if we swivel the two front seats,jack them up as high as they go and slide the Caravelle seat as far forwards as it will go and recline it that we can confortably sleep on the bed with our feet on the front seats. It isn't ideal and as stated above,these aren't campers but its a decent compromise and allows the all important dogs to be probably most the comfortable!

hi mate copy legs+homemade board works both ends easy to assemble and board goes behind triple in transit or left as big table or leg rest

20200802_154915.jpg

20200802_154947.jpg

Really appreciate the pictures to see what you have done
I have however been milling this over for 3 months now and am leaning towards the aftermarket option 'steewee' is offering on the bay. (several reasons why..)
I'm still interested to see some pictures of the goodnight pack from @ScottyMac - lots of yays and nays I've heard about said pack and defined pictures of the lot all installed in the van is a bit scarce.. may be something I'd be willing to get on the side as an add in/back up to what I'm pretty sure I'm now getting (I do want a professional finish, which, I'm not capable of.. haha! Would go down well when it comes to re selling, if and when)

Are you the chap who said he would take some pics for me? the roller boxes under the rear seat would be an extremely usueful addition - A 9 litre 'RUB' (really useful box) box will fit under each section, but, not on rollers. What was the cost of the pack?
Yes. I won't get van till September though.

Here's the official bit about the goodnight pack :

Good Night package with window blinds, bed covering, 3 shelves under 3-seater bench, mini flashlight and waste bin
Price incl. VAT £ 462

• Storage compartment package 4

• Curtains with fixing

• Smoker's version

Hi I just joined the forum and saw this thread - looking to upgrade probably to a caravelle this week after selling my t5. Ideally we will go away in the van too but can’t see on the bay where that package you mentioned is? How do you find it?! Thanks

The package that @ScottyMac has mentioned about is something that you can (if you use the right words) find in separate bits, and not all of it, on ebay.de but I havent found all of it together in one package.
Your best bet is either buying it outright from VWCV dealer or trawling the various forums for a set. If anything is wrong, its local to sort out. Sometimes paying the bit extra for ease of sorting problems if they arise is worth it.

If you do buy a carravelle just bear in mind that the cooling system for the rear and adaptive cruise are the bane of installation. The latter being nigh on impossible.
The former being possible but not economical in any shape or form.

Gotcha makes sense. Definitely - I’ll check it out. Trying to get the best of both worlds without breaking the bank . Thanks. Wheels and suspension probably taking priority for now!

Yes. I won't get van till September though.

Here's the official bit about the goodnight pack :

Good Night package with window blinds, bed covering, 3 shelves under 3-seater bench, mini flashlight and waste bin
Price incl. VAT £ 462

• Storage compartment package 4

• Curtains with fixing

• Smoker's version
Where are the 3 shelves stored..........................???? ..........for the life of me I cant find any in my caravelle excutive

Where are the 3 shelves stored..........................???? ..........for the life of me I cant find any in my caravelle excutive
My take on this is it’s the draws that go under the 3 seater bench. I don’t have them but would love them and currently it’s just an open space which can get
Cluttered.

Back