Skyline SkyLo Roof

SkyLow update...

Had an issue last week while out camping up in North Wales, when pulling in the pop top heard an almighty bang and a whoosh of air, followed by a rapid collapse of the roof back down onto the top of the van at wonky angle. Looked as though the top had sheared off the strut, releasing the pressure, which in turn pulled out the bolt from the opposite scissor on the rear as it collapsed. Managed to get everything closed, lined up and secured, and added an extra lashing strap for good measure, then headed home.

Spoke to Jay at Xtreme where I had had the roof initially fitted and explained I've moved away from London to Bristol so is there a way that another fitter could take a look at the damage and let me know what the next steps would be. He immediately spoke to Skyline who (I didn't realise) are based just outside Bristol. Had a call from them who said if I could bring the van in for a look and they can then book it in for a repair once they knew what was needed.

Headed down Friday evening just before they closed, and the guys were amazing, took one look at the issue and decided was better to just crack on a fix it there and then. 3 guys had the roof off, new strut and hinge put on within half an hour. They've now booked it in for a paint touch up in a couple of weeks where the hinge has scraped the paintwork when it came off the bracket.

So all in all very impressed with the after sales/warranty service from xTreme/Skyline here. With any product there are always going to be issues, it's how a manufacturer owns and deals with them that is key.

Still a happy Skyline SkyLow owner!

Its been a while since we had our SkyLow roof fitted by the guys at Skyline HQ (February in fact - been a bit busy with the rest of the conversion and getting out & about) so I thought it was about time I added to the thread and posted a few photos.
The whole experience of dealing with Skyline was excellent from day 1 when we spoke to the team at last years BUSFEST - to visiting Skyline's factory and seeing the process and discussing the finer detail - and through the actual fitting - watching someone cut the lid of your van is scary!
Honestly we couldn't be happier with the end result - its looks super sleek and although not to everyones taste we love the Black on Black colour way.

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0487.jpeg

My last post on the Skylow subject was back in September after visiting the Skyline stand at BUSFEST when we were deliberating between the Aurora and Skylow. After BUSFEST we had all but decided to go with the Skylow roof and since then we have been to visit Skyline at Langford HQ and seen first hand the processes that the guys go through at the factory which for me was great when Im asking someone to cut the top of my van :thumbsup:. We were happy with everything we saw and placed our order.
Albeit with a couple of compromises - the full range of canvas colours are not available for the Skylow, due to the low profile of the roof they fit a Topnotch 9 Canvas with the Skylow, which has a limited colour range. The second compromise was with the roof rails on our van - the Sklylow does not accommodate the refitting of roof rails. For us this was an aesthetics things rather than function - if you plan on having a top-box or surf board on roof rails then the Skylow isn't for you.
We are booked in to have our Skylow fitted in the first week of February 2022 - we are so excited as this is our first van and the first major part of our conversion - look forward to posting some photos after the roof is fitted :grin bounce:
Hey, how's the Skylow? not hearing much about it at the moment

SkyLow Update (2)....
A few months have passed since last posting any news on our SkyLow roof, and we are hugely impressed with the roof overall. We love the low profile and our choice of black on black colourway has had many positive comments. One bonus that we have noted with the black canvas has been the minimal amount of light or brightness inside the van, especially on summer mornings so it helps with a good night sleep.
The bi-fold bed has also been great and gives that extra head room at the rear of the van when the roof is elevated.
We recently attended Camper Jam (on a day ticket) and happened to park next to vans with Skyline Aurora roof & Skyline Standard roof (+ others) so three variations of Skyline product and height virtually in a row - we had loads of great comments especially around the low profile - the one thing that most commented on was that you can't fit roof bars to the SkyLow (as yet) which was our compromise.
As for sleeping up-top - only used it for a couple of nights with an inflatable mattress & sleeping bag, although the mattress wasn't great, there was more that enough space/room for sleeping. (generally we sleep on our 'Van Furniture' Kombi pods which have a modification & extension). We now have Duvaly mattress's which are brilliant that have replaced the cheap inflatables (should have stuck to my principles of 'buy cheap buy twice' Ha ha).
Can I be critical of anything....it's difficult to find anything to moan about at the minute as we are really happy with our SkyLow, there will always be compromises versus a deeper profile roof but if you can get over these then I would recommend the SkyLow.

SkyLow Update (2)....
A few months have passed since last posting any news on our SkyLow roof, and we are hugely impressed with the roof overall. We love the low profile and our choice of black on black colourway has had many positive comments. One bonus that we have noted with the black canvas has been the minimal amount of light or brightness inside the van, especially on summer mornings so it helps with a good night sleep.
The bi-fold bed has also been great and gives that extra head room at the rear of the van when the roof is elevated.
We recently attended Camper Jam (on a day ticket) and happened to park next to vans with Skyline Aurora roof & Skyline Standard roof (+ others) so three variations of Skyline product and height virtually in a row - we had loads of great comments especially around the low profile - the one thing that most commented on was that you can't fit roof bars to the SkyLow (as yet) which was our compromise.
As for sleeping up-top - only used it for a couple of nights with an inflatable mattress & sleeping bag, although the mattress wasn't great, there was more that enough space/room for sleeping. (generally we sleep on our 'Van Furniture' Kombi pods which have a modification & extension). We now have Duvaly mattress's which are brilliant that have replaced the cheap inflatables (should have stuck to my principles of 'buy cheap buy twice' Ha ha).
Can I be critical of anything....it's difficult to find anything to moan about at the minute as we are really happy with our SkyLow, there will always be compromises versus a deeper profile roof but if you can get over these then I would recommend the SkyLow.
Superb updates and review thank you.

I think this would be the one for me if funds allowed.

If you wanted an awning rail would the only option be something like a vamoose glued to the outside of the van? I have a low profile awning rail in the rain gutter of my van now where normal roof rails would attach but I understand you can’t use those with the SkyLow if I’ve read everything correctly…

Superb updates and review thank you.

I think this would be the one for me if funds allowed.

If you wanted an awning rail would the only option be something like a vamoose glued to the outside of the van? I have a low profile awning rail in the rain gutter of my van now where normal roof rails would attach but I understand you can’t use those with the SkyLow if I’ve read everything correctly…
I went with a Reimo Multi Rail which works perfectly for what I need. It mounts onto the side of the van and doesn't interfere with the SkyLow.

I wanted a lower profile on my van (hence the SkyLow) didn't want to have a permanently mounted Awning - too bulky. I got a 3x3m Cotton Sun Canopy from Funky Leisure which fits right in with the Kador Strip.

Hi i have noticed you have a rib and skylo. Is there enough room to sit on the rib (head wise) im 6foot, but have 6foot 2/3 friends. Im trying to work out how much the roof is lowered.

Hi i have noticed you have a rib and skylo. Is there enough room to sit on the rib (head wise) im 6foot, but have 6foot 2/3 friends. Im trying to work out how much the roof is lowered.
I'm 6'2" and I can sit in the back no problemo. I've got a Variotech 3000 bed which is pretty big and there is clearance. Someone 6'3" should be absolutely fine.

FYI the SkyLow actually adds a bit of Headroom, the HiLo cuts it.

Hope this helps.

How's the canvas on the skylow - does it stand up to the elements? do you need to waterproof it every year?
Mines been absolutely fine - had it in pretty heavy downpours and seems to hold out no problemo.

Might be worth considering if you were going to be out in torrential rain for extended periods of time.

The martial they use is designed for boat covers so although it's lightweight it's designed to be exposed to bad weather.

Hope this helps

Mines been absolutely fine - had it in pretty heavy downpours and seems to hold out no problemo.

Might be worth considering if you were going to be out in torrential rain for extended periods of time.

The martial they use is designed for boat covers so although it's lightweight it's designed to be exposed to bad weather.

Hope this helps
thanks for the input mate

Quite the coincidence to see this thread…my skylow poptop also sheared off its right hand side bolt whilst we were in France last month…13 months since fitted….only picked it up from Skyline HQ yesterday, can’t fault the repair work or customer service.

I like the low profile look, but it’s practically is questionable….hopeful that our hinge issues are past us.

Reactions: CAB
After many months of research and visits to a number of Converters and viewing lots of Poptops, I have just about decided to go with the Skyline Skylow. I had a very open and long chat with Jay who was very helpful and answered all my questions honestly and frankly. Before I finally take the plunge I was just looking for the thoughts (positive and negative) of any other members who have had a Skylow fitted recently? All previous comments on this thread have been very positive about this product. All feedback appreciated, thanks.

So for me, the SkyLow roof has been fantastic.

When I was at the beginning of my research, my top priority was finding something super low profile. My overall design aesthetic was trying to avoid anything that looked to much like a campervan. My Transporter is my daily runaround as well as a leisure vehicle so I wanted it to be as low key as possible whilst still being fit for purpose.

I did consider a HiLo roof but after countless bad reviews and chilling stories about nonexistent customer service I decided to take a punt on the SkyLow. Very happy that I did.

It was bit of risk because I paid my deposit before they actually went into mass production - based entirely on a prototype I saw. However it paid off.

I can't comment on how it compares to other Roofs because it's the only poptop I've ever owned. But in the 2 years I've been using it it's been solid.
I did make some custom alterations to the sliding cover panel on the inside but that was more due to the fact I didn't want the aluminium rails to be visible.

I suspect that if you went with a heavy duty roof like a Reimo for example it might be more substantial? But the trade off is it's obviously a poptop.

For me it's the perfect compromise.

IMG_20231205_144229_edit_646040295310794.jpg

IMG_20231205_144117_edit_646004086860279.jpg

Thanks for taking some time out to provide the positive feedback. One of the very few minor negatives I had was having the rails visible, but this was not enough to dismiss the Skylow. Could you possibly send me a photo of the "custom alteration" you made? I have now made my choice and go ahead with the Skylow. Thanks once again.

Back