Skyline Aurora & T6 Tailgate Bike Rack

D

Deleted member 24435

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a Skyline Aurora and VW tailgate bike rack combo? If so, does your bike rack hit the Skyline roof when it's popped up, preventing the tailgate to fully open? We've had a bit of a mare with ours plus two broken rear lights.

Hi all,

Does anyone else have a Skyline Aurora and VW tailgate bike rack combo? If so, does your bike rack hit the Skyline roof when it's popped up, preventing the tailgate to fully open? We've had a bit of a mare with ours plus two broken rear lights.
I have an Aurora on my LWB tailgate. I don’t have the tailgate rack but I do have a spoiler and it doesn’t come into contact.

I would have thought the spoiler would be more likely to cause trouble than the rack.

I have an Aurora on my LWB tailgate. I don’t have the tailgate rack but I do have a spoiler and it doesn’t come into contact.

I would have thought the spoiler would be more likely to cause trouble than the rack.
Hi RunDSG, I have a SWB, and because I have the bike rack I don't have the larger rear spoiler. Having done some research over the weekend the Thule Wanderway appears to be the same as the VW Tailgate mounted bike rack - version 1 - so my used once version 2 will be going up for sale! I would prefer a tow-bar mounted bikerack but the jury doesn't seem to be out on a model that stops the handlebars hitting the tailgate...

Hi RunDSG, I have a SWB, and because I have the bike rack I don't have the larger rear spoiler. Having done some research over the weekend the Thule Wanderway appears to be the same as the VW Tailgate mounted bike rack - version 1 - so my used once version 2 will be going up for sale! I would prefer a tow-bar mounted bikerack but the jury doesn't seem to be out on a model that stops the handlebars hitting the tailgate...
I’m pretty sure a tailgate mounted bike rack will clear the pop top. My spoiler is bigger I’m sure, and isn’t close.

Also, my towbar mounted rack is no problem with the tailgate. Maybe it just takes careful arrangement of bikes? And turning handlebars would be no sweat, either.

B1A8248F-9AD3-4080-A34C-3A6545E92D94.jpeg

625DECCC-C496-4642-AA41-58DAD3332123.jpeg

Hi RunDSG, when the pop top is up, the bike rack prevents the tailgate opening fully. Thanks for your help. With regards to the towbar mounted bike rack, we have two mountain bikes. Our handlebars look much wider than those on the bikes in your photo, so I'm not sure that would work for us without adjusting the bars which I'd prefer not to do.

without adjusting the bars which I'd prefer not to do.
its a 5 minute job with a single tool. unless you'd prefer to spray tht tailgate every time you travel?

maybe get a few layers of paint protection film on the rear?

Hi RunDSG, when the pop top is up, the bike rack prevents the tailgate opening fully. Thanks for your help. With regards to the towbar mounted bike rack, we have two mountain bikes. Our handlebars look much wider than those on the bikes in your photo, so I'm not sure that would work for us without adjusting the bars which I'd prefer not to do.
Could get a 4-bike carrier and space them back?

Ideally heaviest weight needs to be closest to the Van. The Version 2, just doesn't work with the Skyline sadly. Just wish my fitter had known this

Hi. We are just in the process of getting a rear mounted bike rack for the tailgate of our t6 and have the same skyline roof. Do you happen to know if the version 1 vw rack works with the skyline roof please? Thanks

Hi there,

I would say yes as it appears the same as the Thule Wanderway, which we bought yesterday. I have a picture of a friend's van with the Version 1 / Skyline Aurora comboIMG-20210724-WA0001.jpgIMG-20210724-WA0000.jpg

That is so helpful, thank you. Gutted for you with the version 2 - why are these things never straight forward?!
We've fitted a Thule Wanderway 2, today. Absolutely perfect. Nowhere near the pop top! #happy

Great advice @Minxy66 you've probably saved me a few hundred quid there! I will definitely be getting a Thule Wanderway for the van now, nice one :thumbsup:
De nada :D - As I'm only a short-arse I also have the Pro User 2, towbar bike rack Diamant SG2 PLUS | Pro-User Bike carriers. If I'm not away with the hubby, I struggle to lift my mtb on/off the bike rack and can't reach the clamps :D In hindsight it would probably have been significantly cheaper to use a small, plastic step!!!!! :D Watch this space, as that may be up for sale :D I have to say though, they're a great bit of kit if you only have two bikes - Pro-User Towingball2 bike carrier Diamant SG2 PLUS | Euro Car Parts

Reactions: CAB
De nada :D - As I'm only a short-arse I also have the Pro User 2, towbar bike rack Diamant SG2 PLUS | Pro-User Bike carriers. If I'm not away with the hubby, I struggle to lift my mtb on/off the bike rack and can't reach the clamps :D In hindsight it would probably have been significantly cheaper to use a small, plastic step!!!!! :D Watch this space, as that may be up for sale :D I have to say though, they're a great bit of kit if you only have two bikes - Pro-User Towingball2 bike carrier Diamant SG2 PLUS | Euro Car Parts
Thanks for this, I don't have a tow bar so will be keeping an eye out for a used Thule rack. I hope you manage to recoup the majority of your costs, these things ain't cheap!

Hi there,

I would say yes as it appears the same as the Thule Wanderway, which we bought yesterday. I have a picture of a friend's van with the Version 1 / Skyline Aurora combo
Here’s a tip to stop that long arm hitting the window and fouling the wiper arm blade

Swivel the clamp jaws round and open them wide, then tighten the clamp on to the wheel tray. It will automatically release itself when you fold the rack down. I didn’t realise this trick until I had owned it for a year!

F2DD1708-D44C-4D74-BF25-7813733A30D7.jpeg

F8ADFE3F-C66D-4046-B160-BE6F0B37750C.jpeg

Back