Skyline Aurora Roof

Fitted two weeks ago and we finally got chance to put the roof up today.....Skyline fitted at the main workshop in Weston super mare and our roof was the third one fitted since it was introduced a month ago.

We have completed about 500 miles now and have not noticed any rattles or noises that many roofs suffer from. The front locking system is a cam type lock that is locked via a 8mm t key that is behind the sun visor. The roof is really easy to pull down and lock at the same time. We also had a bi fold bed installed just to increase the head height at the rear while it is up.

The addition of a slidey panel to cover the big hole above the drivers and passengers head virtually eliminates road noise and is well worth the bit extra of cash.

I’ve measured the profile of the roof and it’s about 70/75mm higher that the existing roof and the total height of the van seems to be 1940mm both rear and front.
We are camping next week so will be able to test it properly so will post something else week after

As for Skyline they have been great especially after the 6 month debacle with HILO. Somehow they managed to fit me well ahead of what they were originally quoting just to help me out. I've dealt with a few companies since starting the conversion and Skyline , rusty lee and vision leisure upholstery are top drawer...

I’ll try and add some photos next....

982D792F-A912-4211-8A4B-664D2C806D1A.jpeg CC6C6087-E690-4995-BDAD-8C917E7034A9.jpeg A3E9E30E-6DF5-435C-B846-EE0A11CCB08E.jpeg 414FA193-BB4C-4A18-BCD5-058634D02686.jpeg B929BB75-0228-4131-BB90-40B270A9F5AB.jpeg E66775A0-2913-401C-90EF-C555D1696A2A.jpeg 3C21484C-0FDA-494B-AB86-53BDE989E43E.jpeg 2CB1CE84-02AC-4DF7-B8D4-E1FB0AABB12D.jpeg

Mine goes in for its Aurora fitting on Tuesday, hope I have similar results.

The Aurora is a lower profile than their standard roof, slightly narrower as well, and follows the look of roof of the T6 better, it has a camlock system to lock it down rather than the usual straps, and the canvas is run in a channel on the roof side so it is removable.
Oh, and I got a message today saying they were putting my fitting back a week :(

Thanks for the photos looks great, this one is definitely on my shortlist.
Did you already have the awning rails on both sides?
That would be a good plan on my twin slider.

Skyline did the reimo rails on both sides. We have twin doors so we wanted rails either side. You can get the rails for £200 each from eBay but £220 fitted by skyline is a now brained...

The Aurora is a lower profile than their standard roof, slightly narrower as well, and follows the look of roof of the T6 better, it has a camlock system to lock it down rather than the usual straps, and the canvas is run in a channel on the roof side so it is removable.
Oh, and I got a message today saying they were putting my fitting back a week :(

I know they are having trouble keeping up with supply as most of the ones made over the past few weeks have gone to Europe..

They will give you a 8mm t key to open and close roof...it’s a bit small and will get lost so order one of these from eBay...it’s only a couple of quid and it has the added benefit of being a bottle opener as well so at least you can get pissed....:thumbsup:
Delivered from China in a week!!!

View attachment 49388

Hi guys, pretty new to this T6 forum!
Our T6 is waiting to go in for conversion, but there’s now a delay due to the aurora roof. Skyline have said there’s an issue with the fibreglass plant who produces the moulds.
As the Aurora roof is brand new, and I can’t find much on the internet for it, has anyone had any issues with it or do you find it a good roof?
Dean and Toni, yours looks fantastic by the way. No issues?

Yes, mine was one of the ones affected, though there were only supposed to be half a dozen faulty, it seems they had a few too many kilos of resin injected into the moulds on them which made them too heavy, I currently have the too heavy roof in place, with a temporary canvas until the replacement can be fitted, which is due to be the 16th/17th Oct.IMG20190906191920.jpg

I Hope it all gets sorted for you mate.
How do you find the new locking mechanism? Easier and better than the normal straps to tie down?
It’s the locking mechanism and slimmer look that made me go for the Aurora.

Looks great!

I missed the aurora roof by weeks, had mine fitted at skyline and they were just testing the new one.
The scenic part of the canvas looks like it opens up a bit more too.

The only annoyance I have found is the metal hook/clip that holds the front sliding cover in pace rattles a bit, I think I’ll pop some carpet in it at some point. Other than that they’ve been fantastic.

Glad your pleased and got it sorted.

I've nothing to compare it with so can't really say, but the locks work OK, sort of a quarter turn to latch onto the bar attached to the roof, then a further quarter turn that pulls the roof down tight, no problems there.
The rear of the roof does seem to sit a bit away from the body though, I don't know if this is a consequence of the faulty roof or not though so will have to wait until the 'fixed' one is installed to see if it is any tighter fit.
Skyline North have said they put some suggestions to Skyline Weston to alter the locking mechanism so will see if they implement this on the roof they fit to mine in 2 weeks time.
I caught my elbow on the catch on the roof opening side of the sliding cover, drew blood which I then managed to smear all over the inside of the canvas before I noticed it. It is just a bent bit of stainless steel that has very sharp edges and I don't see the point of the catch myself so it may be getting removed so I don't repeat the experience with my canvas in the future.

Hi all, I’ve been contemplating this roof also, could you send a pic from the back with the spoiler as I’m worried it will look odd

I have the ABT spoiler which is a lot bigger than the usual ones and it just sits up above the roof line when the roof is down. I have to have the tailgate closed to open or close the roof but once it is up or down I can open the tailgate and it doesn’t touch. I will take some pics later on for you.

Last edited:
Back