Skiing Campsite Recomendations

DavidWNE

Hi! We have recently converted a T6.1 and looking to do some winter travelling around France / Austria / Switzerland/ Italy mixing some time touring the cities with skiing in between.

I'm looking for any recommendations you may have for campsites and that have good access to ski resorts in any of the above. Ideally it would need to have access to quite high resorts as we are looking to go in early / mid December.

We have a planar heater fitted but would need EHU.

Also is there anything we need to be made aware of when winter camping?!

Thanks in advance for any help!

David

Sorry if this is too obvious (and it doesn't apply exclusively to camping) but you should familiarise yourself with European requirements for driving on roads potentially affected by snow etc. I'm thinking winter or all season tyres, snow chains etc.

Not being skiers can’t vouch for the pistes but stayed here in April a couple of years ago, nice food, private bathrooms available. Whilst travelling around the ski resort areas of Austria/Italy we found that April seemed to be the end of the campsite season for a lot of sites.

This was the 'Campsite' at Alpe d'Huez Jan 2020..... Couldn't see any T6's.:( Do you think they will be even busier this season as more people may drive?:eek:IMG_0862.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi! We have recently converted a T6.1 and looking to do some winter travelling around France / Austria / Switzerland/ Italy mixing some time touring the cities with skiing in between.

I'm looking for any recommendations you may have for campsites and that have good access to ski resorts in any of the above. Ideally it would need to have access to quite high resorts as we are looking to go in early / mid December.

We have a planar heater fitted but would need EHU.

Also is there anything we need to be made aware of when winter camping?!

Thanks in advance for any help!

David

Here you go David, become a snomad:

Upto Covid, we’d taken our converted T6 to the alps twice in Jan-Feb for 6 weeks skiing. It’s very easy to do & with some simple prep & research, very rewarding. I’m on a beach at the mo, but when I get time later on, I’ll do you a write up. Short answer for now is, it’s very doable & relatively cheap.

PDS- Avoriaz, and down in the valley, there's a little campsite in St Jean D'Aulps. The bus stops right outside, that takes you to the Ardent lift.

Not the highest, I know, but will be quiet-ish.

Upto Covid, we’d taken our converted T6 to the alps twice in Jan-Feb for 6 weeks skiing. It’s very easy to do & with some simple prep & research, very rewarding. I’m on a beach at the mo, but when I get time later on, I’ll do you a write up. Short answer for now is, it’s very doable & relatively cheap.
Camping Glair near Cervinia is your best best for early/late season. Cervinia is the highest resort in the Alps & allows you to ski into Zermatt. Probably the best skiing in Italy & one of our favourites. The ski bus is about a 10 minute walk from the campsite & the timetable is “relaxed & flexible”.
Most of the winter sites are restricted on the current on EHU, 6A being the max we found, many are 3A. It’s enough to keep the battery charged & run the background stuff, but not enough to run heaters. We have an Aldi electric blanket that will run quite happily on 1/2A & is a great bit of kit for £20. We saw them in Lidl last week at £17.50.
Le Moulin at Venosc is also a great site for Deux Alps, which is pretty high for France. We find that we only stay a couple of days max in each resort & move on. No point in skiing the same pistes over & over when you can move on to pastures new.
We prepare a load of frozen homemade meals before we go. Curry/chilli/spag bol etc. We vac-pac them into meal size portions & freeze them at home. Pack them in an ordinary cool box & leave them outside the van when we’re parked up. Choose one for dinner & leave it to thaw in the van whilst you go skiing, when you come back in the evening, Bob the bag in a pan of simmering water, chuck in the rice or pasta around it & voila! A home cooked hot meal in 20 mins & only one pan to wash. If you’re not fussy, you can use the cooking water to wash up with.
There’s a very good municipal in Samoens right at the side of the Grand Massif gondola. 16A EHU and a short walk to the lift/village. You need good snow though as it’s quite low.
I’ve loads more stuff when I get time.

Camping Glair near Cervinia is your best best for early/late season. Cervinia is the highest resort in the Alps & allows you to ski into Zermatt. Probably the best skiing in Italy & one of our favourites. The ski bus is about a 10 minute walk from the campsite & the timetable is “relaxed & flexible”.
Most of the winter sites are restricted on the current on EHU, 6A being the max we found, many are 3A. It’s enough to keep the battery charged & run the background stuff, but not enough to run heaters. We have an Aldi electric blanket that will run quite happily on 1/2A & is a great bit of kit for £20. We saw them in Lidl last week at £17.50.
Le Moulin at Venosc is also a great site for Deux Alps, which is pretty high for France. We find that we only stay a couple of days max in each resort & move on. No point in skiing the same pistes over & over when you can move on to pastures new.
We prepare a load of frozen homemade meals before we go. Curry/chilli/spag bol etc. We vac-pac them into meal size portions & freeze them at home. Pack them in an ordinary cool box & leave them outside the van when we’re parked up. Choose one for dinner & leave it to thaw in the van whilst you go skiing, when you come back in the evening, Bob the bag in a pan of simmering water, chuck in the rice or pasta around it & voila! A home cooked hot meal in 20 mins & only one pan to wash. If you’re not fussy, you can use the cooking water to wash up with.
There’s a very good municipal in Samoens right at the side of the Grand Massif gondola. 16A EHU and a short walk to the lift/village. You need good snow though as it’s quite low.
I’ve loads more stuff when I get time.
Our van is a 4motion, I have all season Pirelli Cargos on which handle just about everything we’ve chucked at them. They are mountain/snow rated. I also carry a set of snow chains just in case, but never used them in anger. In certain areas they (police) can be fussy & insist that you have snow chains available. I’ve been told (unconfirmed) that if you have 4WD & 3peak/snowflake marked tyres, you don’t have to carry snow chains. I’ve not tested that theory.
We find that the Webasto diesel heater is plenty powerful enough to keep us warm & toasty even with external temps of -20C. I made an insulated inner for the poptop from Screwfix bubble insulation, it works a treat & is detailed in one of my other threads.
There’s a campsite in St Anton, that has individual heated bathrooms on each pitch. The ski bus stops outside the gates. The campsite ain’t cheap at around €60/night but it’s cheaper than a hotel. We only had 1 days skiing in St Anton due to the weather, but we’ll probably go back. There’s a cracking site in Italy that covers Folgarida/Madonna de Campiglio/Passo Tonale & another tiny area that I can’t remember the name of. There were only us & an Italian guy on the site. Superb facilities, underfloor heated showers/drying rooms/fresh bread each morning. We were befriended by the aforementioned Italian guy, Sergio, who became our personal guide for a week.
I found this campsite using the CampingCard ACSI app: Campsite Val di Sole - Peio - Italy | Find and book with ACSI
We use the ACSI card & app a fair bit & it has got us some great deals & well worth the money.
Sorry for the rambling disjointed replies, I’m on holiday & writing as I recall stuff.

This is St Anton with the heated cabins
40FF7095-31F2-456F-ADB1-D546D814AB2E.jpeg

Our van is a 4motion, I have all season Pirelli Cargos on which handle just about everything we’ve chucked at them. They are mountain/snow rated. I also carry a set of snow chains just in case, but never used them in anger. In certain areas they (police) can be fussy & insist that you have snow chains available. I’ve been told (unconfirmed) that if you have 4WD & 3peak/snowflake marked tyres, you don’t have to carry snow chains. I’ve not tested that theory.
We find that the Webasto diesel heater is plenty powerful enough to keep us warm & toasty even with external temps of -20C. I made an insulated inner for the poptop from Screwfix bubble insulation, it works a treat & is detailed in one of my other threads.
There’s a campsite in St Anton, that has individual heated bathrooms on each pitch. The ski bus stops outside the gates. The campsite ain’t cheap at around €60/night but it’s cheaper than a hotel. We only had 1 days skiing in St Anton due to the weather, but we’ll probably go back. There’s a cracking site in Italy that covers Folgarida/Madonna de Campiglio/Passo Tonale & another tiny area that I can’t remember the name of. There were only us & an Italian guy on the site. Superb facilities, underfloor heated showers/drying rooms/fresh bread each morning. We were befriended by the aforementioned Italian guy, Sergio, who became our personal guide for a week.
I found this campsite using the CampingCard ACSI app: Campsite Val di Sole - Peio - Italy | Find and book with ACSI
We use the ACSI card & app a fair bit & it has got us some great deals & well worth the money.
Sorry for the rambling disjointed replies, I’m on holiday & writing as I recall stuff.

This is St Anton with the heated cabins
View attachment 132559
We take all our own kit, skis/boots etc. The skis travel in thin Decathlon ski bags (not much protection, but low bulk & sufficient to stop the skis damaging the interior of the van) I adapted the bike rack to take a Thule ski carrier, so that when we’re in resort, we can leave the skis outside on the bike rack.
I also made a boot drier that connects to the hot air outlet of the Webasto, this dries & warms our boots.
The thick rubber mat that the boots are stood on is a B&M £5 special. Worth every penny. We use it for hiking boots in summer & Ski boots in winter.

1B9F3034-46B4-430F-B204-7D4094B3E105.jpeg6C28322A-E5F8-4B70-83D3-63641CEEA0B0.jpeg0CBC5481-461A-423D-9BB4-78F7E0556CFF.jpeg88D09D55-BDEE-4274-97D4-77FE30FAAC83.jpeg

Last edited:
Back