Silverstone rip off

slocumjoseph

The Ancient Mariner
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Silverstone has become such a blatant rip off that I'm not even tempted any longer. It seems they are now even keeping ticket applicants waiting for up to seven hours while the original quote continues to rise. Many far better races and venues at better value, including abroad.

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 09.43.31.png

My Son has really got into F1 over the last couple of years - of course really wants to go, and something I'd like to do.

Just checked prices - they are crazy aren't they - but many area show sold out already so sadly prices aren't putting people off - I was hoping they'd realise they've outpriced themselves.

As my Dad says, while people continue to pay the prices they'll continue to sell at those prices - so can't see them ever being a reasonable price.

They’ll never be “reasonably” priced again. It’s the corporate business they’re chasing, not the real fans. Even Thruxton is getting pricey

My Son has really got into F1 over the last couple of years - of course really wants to go, and something I'd like to do.

Just checked prices - they are crazy aren't they - but many area show sold out already so sadly prices aren't putting people off - I was hoping they'd realise they've outpriced themselves.

As my Dad says, while people continue to pay the prices they'll continue to sell at those prices - so can't see them ever being a reasonable price.
Have a look at some of the European races. They can often work out cheaper than Silverstone.

Why don’t we organise a forum trip to a European one for next year? Spa or Holland are easily within reach.
I tried to buy tickets for Belgium for this year but it sold out pretty fast. Gutted as I was in Belgium that weekend anyway.

sign of the times. . .

everything is going up.

as well as Silverstones base costs.. .

so they are just raising the prices to adapt . . . . but are they in line with the inflation figures?

++++++++++++

we have out btcc tickets for brands hatch in 22 days . . . . £33 for sunday only + £12 for infield parking

++++++++++++

Silverstone has sunday only for £34

1663414817701.png

You guys have got me thinking and I'm very tempted with the BTCC finale at Brands Hatch on the 8th & 9th October. :D

I’ve still got the ticket stub from a British GP in the 1980s when I think practise and race days came to less than £10 and the weekend camping was FOC (or not much anyway). I’m away until next month but if I remember, I’ll check it when I get back and post again. IIRC, it might even have been 1981 when I think John Watson was the winner.

You guys have got me thinking and I'm very tempted with the BTCC finale at Brands Hatch on the 8th & 9th October. :D
we're going...

Will be on the infield with a gazebo....on the Sunday.

@slocumjoseph is normally about.

As I've said many times, BTCC qualifying is much better value than race day. Cheaper, less people, better paddock access and so on. The cars are spread out on track during free practice and qualifying, as opposed to the bunch going past, then nothing for a minute and a half.

All the action happens on race day, but sods law it's out of sight or you are looking in the wrong direction. On the telly you see the lot plus replays.

As I've said many times, BTCC qualifying is much better value than race day. Cheaper, less people, better paddock access and so on. The cars are spread out on track during free practice and qualifying, as opposed to the bunch going past, then nothing for a minute and a half.

All the action happens on race day, but sods law it's out of sight or you are looking in the wrong direction. On the telly you see the lot plus replays.
We normally plot up so we can see one of the large mobile telly screens, for all the out of site activity.

We also record the day at home and watch the racing back.... As you say that's the best viewing....

But there is nothing like being at the track to get the full atmosphere...

I love getting wrapped up in the stalls shops, people, fans, beer tents, manufacturers stalls, pit girls, etc etc..

We normally do two BTCC events in the callander, then one other event.... This year that was F1 2022, which was awesome.

If you go camping at Silverstone you need to stay at the woodlands campsite, it's the closest and the best.

Everything is run by accountants and publicists these days including sport. They will have calculated that a fair percentage of punters will be turned on by the exclusivity and cost. The remainder will be made up of people who aspire to be in the first group, but regret the cost.

We want this year, 4 adults and inner track passes Thursday to Sunday, well over 2k but was an incredible time but agree for that price you can do lots of other things....pop top fund springs to mind!

Just been to Silverstone today to see the BTCC qualifying. Not bad at £20 for the full day including grandstand seating.

I hadn't been there for over 20 years and have to say it's not a patch on Oulton Park, or Thruxton for that matter.

I live close to Oulton park and have been to watch the BTCC a few times in the past.

Superb day out, well worth the money.

Back