Silverstone Advice (re F1)

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

I've been looking at attending the F1 for a couple of years but silly prices have put me off. Silly prices remain - however my Son is now earning and is willing to pay his share - so makes it a little less painful.

Having never been after some advice re which ticket to buy. If it were a Grandstand ticket I'm still looking at the lowest priced ones. If you could let me know your thoughts please.

General Admission - sufficient enough or would if feel a bit of a let down?

General Admission Plus - for the Sunday it's a specific area: Abbey, Copse A or C Terrace, Luffield Complex or Terrace, Stowe. Any recommendations on area? Worth the £100 extra over General only?

Reserved Grandstand - @£459 Farm Curve @ £469 Chapel, Copse D, Sterling A - again any recommendations on area?

Grandstand prices already seem to have increased - e.g. when I looked last week it showed £469 for Vale - that's now at £519. Possibly the nightmare that is Demand pricing - as tickets are already on sale to Members.

Thanks in advance.

I went last year with my 9 year old son, 2 more dads and their sons. It was expensive but worth it. We were impressed with just how much is on, on-track and surrounding the track.
Go for 4 days to avoid the traffic jams and make the very most of the ticket cost.
Camp nearby. We were in the golf course and only 10-15 mins walk to the gate. There is another, more lively campsite - I think called the woods - if your boy is older.
Farm Curve was a great place for the race as it took in the first couple of corners, and a seat for the race is a must. It's also close enough to jog down to the podium afterwards when they open up the circuit after the flag.
Our tickets were gave free access to all other grandstands on the other non-race days so we sampled most of the grandstands available to watch practice/quali/F2/F3/Porsche etc.
You also can take food/water/beer in with you so prepare to carry the day's menu on your back to keep costs down within the track.
Finally, Silverstone weather will make a difference, but all you can do is dress properly for it.
Do it.

I went last year with my 9 year old son, 2 more dads and their sons. It was expensive but worth it. We were impressed with just how much is on, on-track and surrounding the track.
Go for 4 days to avoid the traffic jams and make the very most of the ticket cost.
Camp nearby. We were in the golf course and only 10-15 mins walk to the gate. There is another, more lively campsite - I think called the woods - if your boy is older.
Farm Curve was a great place for the race as it took in the first couple of corners, and a seat for the race is a must. It's also close enough to jog down to the podium afterwards when they open up the circuit after the flag
Our tickets were gave free access to all other grandstands on the other non-race days so we sampled most of the grandstands available to watch practice/quali/F2/F3/Porsche etc.
You also can take food/water/beer in with you so prepare to carry the day's menu on your back to keep costs down within the track.
Finally, Silverstone weather will make a difference, but all you can do is dress properly for it.
Do it.
Thanks - big help. Have booked the 4 days and the official Camping - Cartmel fields. Think will be very cosy on their but hey.

I was thinking Grandstand - just means you've got your seat no matter. Plus like you say can rove and experience the other stands. Good that Farm Curve is a good spot and also the cheaper Grandstand

Assumed they restricted drinks but that's a bonus. Have a Camper so that's a big help. Going to have to eek out the battery as think will be struggling for 4 days!

Hi,

I've been looking at attending the F1 for a couple of years but silly prices have put me off. Silly prices remain - however my Son is now earning and is willing to pay his share - so makes it a little less painful.

Having never been after some advice re which ticket to buy. If it were a Grandstand ticket I'm still looking at the lowest priced ones. If you could let me know your thoughts please.

General Admission - sufficient enough or would if feel a bit of a let down?

General Admission Plus - for the Sunday it's a specific area: Abbey, Copse A or C Terrace, Luffield Complex or Terrace, Stowe. Any recommendations on area? Worth the £100 extra over General only?

Reserved Grandstand - @£459 Farm Curve @ £469 Chapel, Copse D, Sterling A - again any recommendations on area?

Grandstand prices already seem to have increased - e.g. when I looked last week it showed £469 for Vale - that's now at £519. Possibly the nightmare that is Demand pricing - as tickets are already on sale to Members.

Thanks in advance.
Save some money and go to Le Mans 24 Hours for the week or a long weekend and have change over the cost of a day out at the British Grand Prix.
Also a foreign holiday and rather more track action.

Save some money and go to Le Mans 24 Hours for the week or a long weekend and have change over the cost of a day out at the British Grand Prix.
Also a foreign holiday and rather more track action.
Sorry - should have added that I've already booked the Camping, so committed - although sure I could pass this on.

Over last couple of years my Son has really got in to F1 - so doing it so can tick the box of experience done.

But thanks for the suggestion - they are definitely better value for money options out there.

I have been going to Le Mans for many years. I have also been to F1.
Le Mans has become more expensive over the years and getting tickets has become more difficult.
That said, it is still absolutely worth it.
We usually go for an extended weekend. Wednesday night ferry out, returning on a Monday afternoon sailing seems to have become our norm. Have done longer and shorter. All in the cost per person (including fuel, ferry, race tickets, campsite, food etc) is way less than race day at Silverstone. Aside from beers and food, the cost is the same if you go for the week or just the weekend.
If it has to be F1, consider the short hop to Spa in Belgium. This too can be done for less than a trip to Silverstone.

We went GA this year, I had a bloody brilliant time as I’ve always wanted to go, however, if I were to go GA again I’d probably camp. I was up at an ungodly hour for both the Saturday and Sunday just to secure a decent spot between vail and Stowe.

Though, even with a decent spot, apparently it’s compulsory to take the biggest umbrella you can find so any drop of rain you get, you’re cracking viewpoint secured at 6am disappears in an instant. So GA plus or grandstand would fix that.

Once you set up base on the hill you’re pretty stuck as well. We always had to leave someone with the chairs etc if we wanted a wonder.

I’d 100% go again, but for me I’d be in a grandstand. Guaranteed seating and a decent view come rain or shine. We’re actually considering Barcelona or Monza due the cost of Silverstone. Everything within the track is silly money too, as expected.

Bonus though, take as much food and drink in as you can carry! Alcohol included.

It may seem like a moan but as a first timer, in GA, it was brilliant. If you settle for GA, get an early bird for one of your group on the Sunday, so they can set up base before all the good spots go!

I’ve not been to BGP since Covid, but it is quite an experience. Be prepared for long queues to get out of car parks on Sunday and possibly Saturday. If possible, camp within walking distance.
A stand ticket for Sunday, but otherwise just wander around the circuit to see different corners. That was what my wife did when she came down with me. I had a rather different and I suppose rather privileged view of the event as a Scrutineer in the team garages. Last time was with Red Bull.

We went GA this year, I had a bloody brilliant time as I’ve always wanted to go, however, if I were to go GA again I’d probably camp. I was up at an ungodly hour for both the Saturday and Sunday just to secure a decent spot between vail and Stowe.

Though, even with a decent spot, apparently it’s compulsory to take the biggest umbrella you can find so any drop of rain you get, you’re cracking viewpoint secured at 6am disappears in an instant. So GA plus or grandstand would fix that.

Once you set up base on the hill you’re pretty stuck as well. We always had to leave someone with the chairs etc if we wanted a wonder.

I’d 100% go again, but for me I’d be in a grandstand. Guaranteed seating and a decent view come rain or shine. We’re actually considering Barcelona or Monza due the cost of Silverstone. Everything within the track is silly money too, as expected.

Bonus though, take as much food and drink in as you can carry! Alcohol included.

It may seem like a moan but as a first timer, in GA, it was brilliant. If you settle for GA, get an early bird for one of your group on the Sunday, so they can set up base before all the good spots go!
Thanks - think Grandstand is the way to go - you the have comfort of knowing you've got a spot. There's just the two of us, so makes it would mean if GA one of us wanders whilst the other defends(!) the spot you have, obv we'd want to wander around together.

Good can take own food & drink - alcohol in particular surprises me, was expecting to be paying silly money pint prices!

Cartmel fields is a fantastic campsite you won't go far wrong as its close to the main entrance , for me a weekend grandstand ticket is a must giving you roaming seats Friday and Saturday then an allocated seat Sunday which means you don't need to get up at the crack of dawn to get a place to sit /stand we've done vale uncovered for around 6 of the last times we've been and find it a great place as you see the cars at the end of hangers straight into Stowe then Vale / club and down the start finish straight and it's not badly priced as far as grandstands go , just be aware when the tickets come out make sure you snap them up immediately as this year we has our pants pulled down due to the website crashing and kicking us out or our position thus having to pay £100 more each per ticket

Cartmel fields is a fantastic campsite you won't go far wrong as its close to the main entrance , for me a weekend grandstand ticket is a must giving you roaming seats Friday and Saturday then an allocated seat Sunday which means you don't need to get up at the crack of dawn to get a place to sit /stand we've done vale uncovered for around 6 of the last times we've been and find it a great place as you see the cars at the end of hangers straight into Stowe then Vale / club and down the start finish straight and it's not badly priced as far as grandstands go , just be aware when the tickets come out make sure you snap them up immediately as this year we has our pants pulled down due to the website crashing and kicking us out or our position thus having to pay £100 more each per ticket
Yep booked the Camping as so convenient.

I was originally looking at Vale - last week pricing was showing around £459 - it was the lowest price grandstand but now price is showing £519, so frustrating. Just worries me how much further they will go up due to the demand pricing - really is unfair and greedy- what choice do you have though

Yep booked the Camping as so convenient.

I was originally looking at Vale - last week pricing was showing around £459 - it was the lowest price grandstand but now price is showing £519, so frustrating. Just worries me how much further they will go up due to the demand pricing - really is unfair and greedy- what choice do you have though
This is what realy annoys me now about Silverstone it's just a way of profiteering, yep very greedy indeed it's put many people off for sure , many had bought camping tickets last year then sold them when they realised how much extra they were expected to pay due to website issues which knocked people out of their positions in the que and therefore the price increased when re joining it was sickening tbh

I find F1 really boring now and very very rarely watch any of it at all, especially since that cheating Dutch sh1t started winning all the time.
I watch Moto GP now, they even have overtaking.

Back