Sidewall Damage: do I need to replace my tyre?

Rob The Daddy

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi All,

Coming out of a carpark, I bumped a rear tyre on a kerb. Annoyed with myself!

Here are some pics; would I need to replace?

Thanks Everyone.

Rob

BUGGER.jpg

GOODYEAR 2.jpg

officially yes . . you should.

but . . . .

i depends if the though of it blowing out at speed keeps you awake at night.?

Tyre sidewall damage is dangerous

Tyre sidewalls are built to be strong and to withstand the extreme forces and pressures often experienced while driving. Sidewalls keep your car stable. Look out for any tears, cuts, nicks, bubbles or bulges in the sidewall. If you spot any of these it’s typically a sign of serious damage to the tyre’s structure, and that’s dangerous. As a result, you and those around you are at risk of a serious accident caused by tyre blowout. If this happens at high speed – say on a motorway – the consequences can be fatal. For this reason, it’s essential to get the damage checked by an expert immediately, and if appropriate have the tyre replaced.

1598379770994.png

Quite a deep gouge that one.. Having just had a blowout im a bit twitchier than i would of been previously... So i would advise replacing sooner rather than later... Can't put a price on safety and if it blows doing 70 in the outside lane it could ruin your day if not your life and someone else's.. i would plan it in to swap it out... better safe than sorry..

20200809_160736.jpg

Quite a deep gouge that one.. Having just had a blowout im a bit twitchier than i would of been previously... So i would advise replacing sooner rather than later... Can't put a price on safety and if it blows doing 70 in the outside lane it could ruin your day if not your life and someone else's.. i would plan it in to swap it out... better safe than sorry..

View attachment 82735
Thank you. Wifey is going past a garage tomorrow and will 'check it in'. Yes, better safe than sorry!

As has been said. MOT failure if the cords are showing.
However you’ve hit it hard enough to take a chunk out of it and this will have weakened the sidewall, although you may not be able to see it. And it will always be on your mind, so I would say replace it.

Last edited:
Hell yes....I’m over 50k on the van ( I know ..not much to show :cry: ) ..your loved ones and a van for the sake of a new tyre
We all are happy to spend loads of ££££.. on the van but we ( and me ) bitch about tyres

ps edit.... I wish others where more considerate about tyres...we’d have less accidents, safer roads ,,,Safety First !

Last edited:
Forget MOT failure or not....£120.00 for a new tyre or weeks in a hospital bed...mmmm or worse.
Change it.

If you have I full-size spare you could always swap it out and keep it as a spare get you home tire.

Back