Window fitting - Scotland

Weeman

T6 Pro
I want to get windows put in on the sides of my van. I'm based in Central Scotland, can anyone recommend somewhere to get them fitted? I don't fancy doing it myself.

Best I could find in Scotland was Website ask for Russell.

I'm in two minds as vandoc now have mobile fitting so might get them to pop up. First I need to decide what windows I'm going for. Heading down to Bus Types and will have a nosy at what others have. I love the look of the VW glass but sliders leek are expensive to purchase and fit correctly. Rockin Vans VW Camper van and motorhome hire from London, Glasgow, Edinburgh rent motorhomes or campers. work was also good ;)

You any ideas what windows you are after?

Kev

Caledonian campers are in Clydebank and do them but it's not cheap (although may be that price everywhere)

Caledonian campers are in Clydebank and do them but it's not cheap (although may be that price everywhere)

Would you recommend Caledonian campers for getting windows put in? They were over a grand less than the K&E in Edinburgh, most the difference was the OEM glass.

Kev

I ended up doing my windows myself but I have my van booked in with them for an SCA roof (supposed to be end of this month but theres a delay in the roofs from Germany) so cant actually comment on how good they are at the moment but what I have seen in their workshop all looks top notch

Best I could find in Scotland was Website ask for Russell.

I'm in two minds as vandoc now have mobile fitting so might get them to pop up. First I need to decide what windows I'm going for. Heading down to Bus Types and will have a nosy at what others have. I love the look of the VW glass but sliders leek are expensive to purchase and fit correctly. Rockin Vans VW Camper van and motorhome hire from London, Glasgow, Edinburgh rent motorhomes or campers. work was also good ;)

You any ideas what windows you are after?

Kev
I want both front quarters the be sliders, the passenger side rear quarter fixed glass and the drivers side rear quarter just to be a dummy window without the panel being cut out of the van.

Looking to have my leaky Kombi windows changed out to fixed windows. Not sure where would do this sort of thing in my local area (Perthshire,) so open to any recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Jerba might be able to sort you out over in East Lothian

As an update, I got in touch with Jerba who quoted £960 to fit two new VW fixed windows. This was a lot more than I was expecting, so thanked them and looked elsewhere...

I found a vehicle glass fitter Scott-Glaze, in Perth and they changed the windows from sliders to fixed windows (with a factory window tint). Cost £456 and he gave me the old windows which I promptly listed on eBay and sold them, so managed to recoup some of the cost.

When cleaning the old windows prior to selling them I noticed the seal on the sliding window part was damaged and I think may have been one of the causes of the leakage.

I actually prefer the fixed windows. The view from the rear seats is so much better without the window frames obscuring the view.

Thats a good result @Branwell and apart from costing half the price, you’ve solved that common foe of leaky windows!

So I reached out to the most local conversion company to get a price for supply and fit of two aftermarket Kombi sliding windows.

They came back with the below. Bear in mind that they are replacing existing windows and not cutting new ones.

"We can replace these windows for aftermarket flush styled opening windows.

The cost of replacement would be £350 per side.

If you wished to have the normal recessed aftermarket opening windows these would be £280 per side."

Now I get that there would be a charge for fitting, I am not expecting this for free, but considering I can get a pair of sliding windows from Transporter HQ/Camperglass for £280 isn't this pricing a bit excessive?

Anyone in the Glasgow area recommend somewhere to have this done?

So I reached out to the most local conversion company to get a price for supply and fit of two aftermarket Kombi sliding windows.

They came back with the below. Bear in mind that they are replacing existing windows and not cutting new ones.

"We can replace these windows for aftermarket flush styled opening windows.

The cost of replacement would be £350 per side.

If you wished to have the normal recessed aftermarket opening windows these would be £280 per side."

Now I get that there would be a charge for fitting, I am not expecting this for free, but considering I can get a pair of sliding windows from Transporter HQ/Camperglass for £280 isn't this pricing a bit excessive?

Anyone in the Glasgow area recommend somewhere to have this done?
I'm guessing that removing the old windows (without damaging the paint), cleaning off all the old mastic (without damaging the paint), prepping & fitting the new windows would be more labour intensive than cutting the original apertures & fixing to a clean body. This is assuming that the cut-out for the replacements is the same as the original.

I'm guessing that removing the old windows (without damaging the paint), cleaning off all the old mastic (without damaging the paint), prepping & fitting the new windows would be more labour intensive than cutting the original apertures & fixing to a clean body. This is assuming that the cut-out for the replacements is the same as the original.
I totally understand that there's a fair amount of work, just seems a bit overpriced when it's a routine job for an experienced fitting company.

I assumed the Kombi window cut out would be a standard size to allow manufacturers to create their own versions. Having multiple sized windows for the same area just seems a bit crazy to me.

Hopefully someone has had the same work completed recently and comments their pricing for comparison.

I'm not adverse to paying what they are asking, I'm simply looking for opinions to avoid paying over the odds.

In todays world where a garage will happily charge you £100+ an hour without batting an eyelid I think those prices are pretty standard unfortunately

Back