Non-OEM window insect panels

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
So my camper conversion has the side windows which aren't Kombi / VW OEM windows

The opener is 39.5cm x 39.5cm when closed. 39.5cm high by 32.5cm when open fully....

I was looking for an insect panel / ventilation grill for the window....

I've tried the CSI Parts grill but these only fit the larger VW OEM windows, I think the Jerba one is also for the bigger windows.... but i'm not sure..??

Does anyone know if there are any specific insect panels for the smaller windows, which are quite common on most camper conversions..?

If not what have people used..?

20200629_124555.jpg20200629_124207.jpg

Recent link.
I could not find anything, so made mine from 3ply and a vent off eBay.

Have you asked the window supplier / manufacturer?

That reminds me - @VGC Ltd do you sell midge vents for the flush-fit sliding windows?

I have struggled to find anything "ready made" for the smaller after market windows... i don't think there’s anything out there.

I have however found a company that will CNC me a frame out of thin black
perspex or polyprop to fit the opening and have found a roll of 30/20 midge mesh...

My thoughts were to make one the same style as the jerba one... i just need to draw the frame size and cutout required next...

BE17B769-B7EE-4E63-926C-882716D2C127.jpegPhoto of the Jerba one in-situ on my standard VW window aperture - sure it can’t be difficult to get something similar made up as you’ve suggested @JasonW. If I recall the Jerba ones were about £45 each so it might work out cheaper doing it yourself. They do work very well it has to be said.

They just slide into place with the windows wide open and are held in place by the surround edges. Images are rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise for some reason. I have swellshades and they fit fine with them in place so I can have the windows open at night with midge screens in place & blinds down. Bit of a fiddle to get in place but fine once you’ve sussed the technique!
57C9BDAA-132F-477D-B649-B7754088B12D.jpeg

7BEB0B11-A6D7-4B5B-A3FC-29A5E9FF86F5.jpeg

Reactions: KR.
Hi Ian, Thanks for the reply, yes i should be able to get something made for a similar cost... just drawing it up now...

Could you do me a favour and measure the thickness of the frame... preferably with a vernier if you have one for accuracy...

One design idea i have is to sandwich the 30/20 midge mesh in between two frames for a neat solution similar to the jerba one...

I just need to know the thickness of the jerba one... coincidentally i did contact jerba asking if they could custom make me one, but they said they couldn't supply for the smaller aftermarket windows at this time.

Hi,
I measure the Jerba one to be two frames each 1.9mm in width with the mesh in between. Don’t have a vernier but attached photos if any help. The Jerba frame is quite flexible as you need to bend it a little to get it in place but your set up may be different.

AFBFBC00-CD73-47EE-9582-8F79961D3F81.jpeg

4054DE37-3515-4D66-BF64-6AA176E1B4C2.jpeg

Thanks Ian I'll need to have a look at my window frame and see if the screens will fit the same way.

@KR. The aftermarket windows are a bit smaller and don't open fully as the top two pictures show...

If you have OEM side windows like on a caravelle or kombi then you shouldn't have a problem.

My window, the smaller version is 39.5cm x 39.5cm when closed.

One more question if i could please @Ian28 regarding the external corner radius....? this looks like 15mm from your pictures.. but could you please confirm...

To work out, just measure from the points shown below... Thanks

TGO-radius-guide.jpg

Thanks @Ian28 I would say thats nearer 35mm than 30.... I've just measured the corner radius of my smaller windows and they're the same external radius as your jerba panel...

Great, I have my drawing finished now and ready to get them made... i will post up the details when they're done... thanks for being super helpful... much appreciated.

Having drawn up the design and used a plastic cnc company to cut out the frames they've finally arrived along with 30/20 midge mesh...
20200802_100359.jpg
20200802_100443.jpg

I’d be interested in some of these if you’re thinking of going into production. :thumbsup:

With the mesh cut I've reinforced the edges with a hemming material to stop any fraying and attached with fabric glue
20200802_145000.jpg

Back