Van-X Side skirts / Sill covers

Decided to have a set of these in the end,gloss black with a matte black insert so pretty understated compared to some of the other ones. Im really happy with how they look as an alternative to side bars which i personally have never fancied. They just make the sill of the van look a bit lower without standing out. Photos are a bit cack,ill get some better ones when its off the driveView attachment 77362View attachment 77363
Never mind the photo quality.....look at those wheels! Very, very nice! Well done

Thanks very much @JOG ,standard matt black sportlines with a ceramic coating applied that makes them look a bit satin

Reactions: JOG
Hello @Andysmee, the ones in the pics above this merged thread which are on my van are the van-x ones in deep black with a matt black insert
Thanks, I saw that, hence the merge was good. I just didn't click on this thread as I don't think of them as side skirts. But maybe that's just how they are referred to

Hello @Andysmee, the ones in the pics above this merged thread which are on my van are the van-x ones in deep black with a matt black insert
So, the question I'm left with is whether they are the same depth as the OEM ones. The Van-X ones appear deeper and so I guess they are skirts o_O

I'll go look at the Pan Americana kit as well

Last edited:
So...if you want to find the originals you might find searching in German helps e.g. T6 Seitenschweller Set matt/silber reflex PanAmericana original Volksw :oops:

Seitenschweller is side skirts

P.S. more useful terms - Seitenteil [side part] Seitenwänd [side sill] Türschweller [doorstep/threshold? stretching my German!] Säule [pillar] links

P.P.S. Sports package is Sportpaket but didn't find much useful from that

Last edited:
I’m thinking of the Van-x side skirts myself. I want the gloss black ones to go with my black van, but would like to paint the insert the same blue as my grill stripe.
Anyway, does covering the sills in this way, promote corrosion at all? Has anyone any experience of this on older vans with similar side skirts?

I’m thinking of the Van-x side skirts myself. I want the gloss black ones to go with my black van, but would like to paint the insert the same blue as my grill stripe.
Anyway, does covering the sills in this way, promote corrosion at all? Has anyone any experience of this on older vans with similar side skirts?
There was a post on the German forum to exactly this point. If the side sill covers don't have a layer of silicone behind them, they tend to move around and scratch the paintwork and create places for corrosion. Not sure about the van-x ones

More inspiration... the factory sports package on white
iris.jpg

Reactions: CAB
The Van-x ones seem to be a really good fit to me,can't see them moving around or anything like that to be honest. Won't the factory sport ones just fit in the same way?

That's what I don't know from the pictures. I think the van-x ones are a skirt with the chrome / contrasting bit built-in. I think the factory ones leave the sill exposed itself? Can someone confirm?

There was a post on the German forum to exactly this point. If the side sill covers don't have a layer of silicone behind them, they tend to move around and scratch the paintwork and create places for corrosion. Not sure about the van-x ones
I’ve already had a similar issue where non-OEM style moulded front mudflaps have rubbed away a small area of paint on the bottom of the doors, which obviously started rusting. Hopefully I’ve successfully treated that.

Now I look at them again, it looks like the Van-x skirts might also be prone to that if they curve over the sill below the door? Can anyone confirm whether there is enough clearance above them, and whether they move around much once fitted?

Hello @Shaun Witts ,i have these fitted and i don't think they move around unless you pull at them. They are bolted underneath into existing holes and have 3m tape running the whole length of them as well that we heated up first to promte adhesion. They do sit quite close to the bottom of the doors but if they are fitted correctly then they do not catch. Is this what you wanted to know? Anything else,just ask

Hello @Shaun Witts ,i have these fitted and i don't think they move around unless you pull at them. They are bolted underneath into existing holes and have 3m tape running the whole length of them as well that we heated up first to promte adhesion. They do sit quite close to the bottom of the doors but if they are fitted correctly then they do not catch. Is this what you wanted to know? Anything else,just ask
Thank you. Very helpful. I didn’t know about the tape, which should mean that using silicone is unnecessary.

Just looking at mine now :p
@Martin Gibson any tips on fitting as there's no instructions?
Thank you for posting those pictures.

I’m starting to gravitate towards bars now. Reason being my worries that dirt & mud etc. will accumulate behind the plastic skirt, holding moisture and promoting corrosion. Whereas a good squirt with a jet-wash will clear out any dirt around the bars. It might not be a problem for a number of years, but who knows how long I might keep this van.

Thank you for posting those pictures.

I’m starting to gravitate towards bars now. Reason being my worries that dirt & mud etc. will accumulate behind the plastic skirt, holding moisture and promoting corrosion. Whereas a good squirt with a jet-wash will clear out any dirt around the bars. It might not be a problem for a number of years, but who knows how long I might keep this van.
I have the advantage of a 2019, but yes, I'm with you. I'll see how well it could be protected when I fit it...just as soon as I know how :rolleyes:

Back