(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

Is this really LWB issue/limitation or is it down to barn door vs. tailgate?
Is yours BD or TG?

Reactions: mmi
Is this really LWB issue/limitation or is it down to barn door vs. tailgate?
Is yours BD or TG?
Mines a tailgate... when i asked VW about it - before purchase - they said they did not know why and thought it was to do with the length - to which i said thats rubbish but there you go...

I have it standard on my Kombi, it switches off when you have trailer on too, then you need to remember to reactivate it once you disconnect the trailer.
You are 100% correct mate.

But on the other hand if the S/A system is activated(switched on) in the instrument cluster menu, both mirror LEDs switch on(with full brightness) for couple of seconds after 2-3 seconds delay, every time ignition is switched on. And this really catches your attention and makes you aware that S/A system is switched ON and active. So if the LEDs don't light up during ignition start up sequence you know that S/A system is off. It really makes sense to me and also makes this assistant very intuitive and instinctive.

Another smart thing is mirror LEDs delayed light up after ignition ON. That delay is actually enough time to bring folded in mirrors back to normal position before S/A LEDs light up to indicate system readiness. Basically S/A mirror LEDs are not visible correctly from the cab when mirrors are folded in.:)

And final thing is coding.

CAN gateway 19 installation list:
add 3C
then enter
Side Assist 3C and apply the following coding:
030311 for vehicles with trailer
030321 for vehicles without trailer

There is also LHD and RHD selection which effectively allows for handy mirror lights functionality swap-over just in case their wiring got mixed up during installation;)

By default, Side Assist for a T6 is a second generation BSD system with 12 pin connectors on the radar units. It requires calibration with ODIS, but apparently it is also possible to complete it with VCDS and homemade doppler simulator/fan (very tricky).

To get rear traffic alert (RTA) with blind spot detection (BSD), a 3rd or 4th generation Side Assist system needs to be used. This kind of system has 8 pin connectors on its radars, and it also performs auto calibration by itself as the vehicle is being driven.

So the conclusion is that with some rewiring and upgrading the radars (Golf MK7 for example) the Side Assist would be also equipped with RTA on a T6!:cool:
Also, our Discover Media will be able to handle all the added functionality of RTA system.;)
Instrument cluster as confirmed by @dnoermann is already ready for such a system and associated menu entry is present in IC firmware.:thumbsup:

By default Side Assist for a T6 is a second generation BSD system with 12 pin connectors on the radar units. It requires calibration with ODIS but apparently it is also possible to complete it with VCDS and home made doppler simulator/fan (very tricky).

To get rear traffic alert (RTA) with blind spot detection (BSD), a 3rd or 4th generation Side Assist system needs to be used. This kind of system has 8 pin connectors on its radars and it also performs auto calibration by itself as the vehicle is being driven.

So the conclusion is that with some rewiring and upgrading the radars (Golf MK7 for example) the Side Assist would be also equipped with RTA on a T6!:cool:
Also our Discover Media will be able to handle all of the added functionality of RTA system.;)
Instrument cluster as confirmed by @dnoermann is already ready for such a system and assosiated sub menu is present in IC firmware.:thumbsup:
So when will you be giving us your installed price list? :)

Back