(Side Assist) / (Blind Spot Detection & Rear Cross Traffic Alert) retrofit

I will experiment with and without a relay during installation and advise.
what @Pauly said,

external CAN isolation to prevent CAN attacks (all the external CAN/LIN buses are isolated via relay to stop CAN Probe/attack)

so ill assume it works fine without the relay, but may be a security risk without it)

I think you are 100% right.
Normally all CAN wiring is locked inside the vehicle and in this case it is easy enough to "access" it at the bottom of the rear bumper.

watching this thread with anticipation . . . .

I have LWB & Barn doors . . . . . id love it if this will retrofit on my van. =]
As I already said, I think LWB is not a problem. Challenging thing is barn door. You would need to make up you own additional bracketing behind the bumper and maintain the same angle(for both radars) as it is with the tailgate.

As I already said, I think LWB is not a problem. Challenging thing is barn door. You would need to make up you own additional bracketing behind the bumper and maintain the same angle(for both radars) as it is with the tailgate.
very good. ill wait to see the pictures of your fitting & mounting position/locations for the tailgate to see whats involved in the barn doors solution.

i suppose the main issue will be the setup position/angle/range for the radars detection area.

I am expecting to close the whole retrofit project at £320=€350:whistle:

It is not my intension to encourage anybody to do this retrofit with a pre-owned parts, but you have to admit that price difference is significant.
The cheapest option with a brand new parts bought from VW would work out for me around €1200=£1080.
Same set of parts from Kufatec would cost me approximately €620=£558.
But with both options mentioned above I would need to add the cost of calibration anyway.
I have been quoted €280=£250 for the side assist system calibration by my local VW dealer! :rofl:
So I would be looking at minimum of €900=£843.
And by the way, I am not going to change my mirror caps.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Kufatec loom is made bang on for LHD SWB.
In my case(RHD SWB) I only had to increase the length of CAN wires by approximately 1.5m:).
So in case of RHD LWB, the following wires(power supply, left LED, right LED) would need to be extended by approximately 0.5m and CAN wires by 2m, dead simple.;)

And by the way I have 2 pre-wired plugs to give away for free if someone wants:whistle:
https://www.t6forum.com/attachments/20190920_153642-jpg.51149/

I might be being a bit dim but I can’t work out where those big rear sensors will end up, will they be inside the lights, under a trim panel, or visible? It never occurred to me that this would need extra sensors, I always assumed this sort of system just used the parking sensors

I might be being a bit dim but I can’t work out where those big rear sensors will end up, will they be inside the lights, under a trim panel, or visible? It never occurred to me that this would need extra sensors, I always assumed this sort of system just used the parking sensors
Underneath the trim that sits between the tail-lamps and the bumper. That’s why they don’t fit them to barn-door vans.

Stupid design from VW IMHO....

Not an option for barn doors.....!

Well design a sensor that will fit then.!!!

So I'm wondering now if the original orders, when I was told I couldn't have them from VW was actually due to the barn doors opposed to the LWB?

All 3 Van's have been LWB and Barn doors....

Hmm.

Well I'm still up for them if someone works out a way of fitting on barn door setup.

It never occurred to me that this would need extra sensors, I always assumed this sort of system just used the parking sensors
Parking sensors are ultrasonic, and their detecting range is maximum of 2 to 3 meters. With microwave radars of this kind, detection range is much greater.

Stupid design from VW IMHO....

Not an option for barn doors.....!

Well design a sensor that will fit then.!!!

So I'm wondering now if the original orders, when I was told I couldn't have them from VW was actually due to the barn doors opposed to the LWB?

All 3 Van's have been LWB and Barn doors....

Hmm.

Well I'm still up for them if someone works out a way of fitting on barn door setup.
It was definitely down to barn door and nothing to do with LWB in my opinion.

Parking sensors are ultrasonic and their detecting range is maximum of 2 to 3 meters. With microwave radars of this kind, detection range is 50 metres.
Yeah makes sense when I think about it, but I hadn’t :)

20190928_114231.jpg
20190928_123846.jpg
20190928_123224.jpg

I will post more photos with "measurements" later on.
And also I will try to work out the angle between radar face and vehicle longitudinal axis(horizontally & vertically):)
I hope that this would be very useful for barn door installs with radars behind the bumper;)

I have performed number of road tests today and I can confirm that my SIDE ASSIST works perfectly with pre-owned radars. No calibration was required ;) only standard VCDS coding.

Side assist works almost like blind spot vehicle detection system for both sides.
If there is a vehicle in neighbouring lane, system lights up corresponding mirror LED.
And conditions for this to happen are as follows:
- vehicle in neighbouring lane is within detecting range(from half the length of the van to approximately 50 meters behind)
- the vehicle in neighbouring lane is being overtaken very slowly by vehicle with S/A system or vehicle with S/A is being overtaken by other vehicles at any higher speed.
Both of this conditions need to be satisfied simultaneously.
Another words S/A system does not indicate and warn when the vehicle with such a system overtakes other vehicles with significant speed difference.

Mirror indication led when it is activated by the S/A system lights up in kind of dimmed mode.
Its intensity depends on menu brightness setting and ambient conditions(controlled automatically by RLS).
And if indicator is switched on while S/A mirror led lights up(dimmed), the S/A mirror led flashes few times with maximum brightness.

I will experiment with and without a relay during installation and advise.
Relay makes no difference to system functionality, but since I don't want to be hacked :laugh: I have installed it regardless.
Actually I have used 2 ordinary automotive relays, one for each CAN wire, both triggered simultaneously.:)

Back