Shuttle Insurance

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I would start a post after a shock today picking my new shuttle up.
I thought I would change the insurance online once I knew the van was mine so left it till the last minute, completely my bad for not thinking but when I tried to do it online (Tesco's) it would not work and gave no error, I had done it the past without problems.
I called them and they soon told me why, It is a 9 seater so they would not insure me. A massive blow and a shock considering I was insured with on a 7 seater.
In the end I spent half hour on the phone with VW insurance taking them up on the free 5 day cover, they also had to direct me elsewhere as they would only do 5 seaters but still got 5 days free.
The rear seats wont actually be in but its classed as a 9 seater on the reg which is a pain.

So my question now is,
Who are people insuring their 9 seater shuttles with?
I am not using it for commercial use, just s,d,p and communiting.

Can’t you take out the rear seats and then send your logbook to DVLA to reflect this?

Would that make it easier to insure as a 6 seater or would it still be classed as a minibus? Would I need to take the floor mounts out for the pictures or just the seat?

I thought I would start a post after a shock today picking my new shuttle up.
I thought I would change the insurance online once I knew the van was mine so left it till the last minute, completely my bad for not thinking but when I tried to do it online (Tesco's) it would not work and gave no error, I had done it the past without problems.
I called them and they soon told me why, It is a 9 seater so they would not insure me. A massive blow and a shock considering I was insured with on a 7 seater.
In the end I spent half hour on the phone with VW insurance taking them up on the free 5 day cover, they also had to direct me elsewhere as they would only do 5 seaters but still got 5 days free.
The rear seats wont actually be in but its classed as a 9 seater on the reg which is a pain.

So my question now is,
Who are people insuring their 9 seater shuttles with?
I am not using it for commercial use, just s,d,p and communiting.
Before I converted mine ,it was a 9 seater shuttle and and insured it with Elephant as it was my insurer for the car , I actually didn't think 9 seats was a problem to insure , ano if your under 21 insurance companies tend to hold back with certain vehicles but that's a new one to me for having extra seats

Would that make it easier to insure as a 6 seater or would it still be classed as a minibus? Would I need to take the floor mounts out for the pictures or just the seat?
I don’t know the ins and out of registering but would think that taking seats out and reclassifying its so you can only legally carry, say, 6 people, would be enough to satisfy your insurer that it’s no longer a 9 seater.

Hi there I have a 9 seater and I,m with just kampers just now but got a better deal and was real easy with A - plan. A guy called Stuart king. Made it very simple and my cover also covers me for putting fancy alloys, side bars, and even to take seats out if I so wished. Real simple. Hope this helps.

Privalige insured mine as a 9 seater. After modification into a camper started, Just Kampers insured me, as long as I only used
6 seats while conversion was ongoing.

I went with Santander in the end. They were cheapest at £800!!
I will be using it as a van basically most of the time so the rear seats wont be in but my Mrs has a thing about offering every a lift to every member of the family so the option of 9 seats is still there whenever we need it.
Went shuttle route as we do lots of dual carraigeway driving so 70mph is a must for us.

I have a factory 9 seat window van. We dont actually need 9 seats but was a good price with most things already done that I was going to do to a panel van. Added bonus is that it is classed as a car on DVLA so car speed limits and £145 tax!!

Anyway, got a shock when I phoned insurance companies. Flux were £1240 :-0 however 8 seats is only £320 both with additional mods!

Front bench seat out and matching single seat installed on day 2 of ownership. SWMBO prefers a single seat as much more comfortable. Just need to notify DVLA when the V5 arrives.

I do wonder if some of the insurance companies have their rules mixed up - 8 seats plus driver is still classed as a car. 9 plus driver is a commercial mini bus.

Ian

Yip @Paynewright , it was more the fact that I just paid £200 for my Shuttle VED. But it's a 150 BHP with DSG and LWB, so emissions make the difference.

£200 road tax here for a 150.
Just my insurance that killed me with it. I could only use 3 years ncb for this which probably did not help. All my others are tied up on another vehicle. I will be a little more careful when I renew the vehicle with all the ncb and keep some spare for when the shuttle is up for renewal.

Glad to hear it was not just me that had a shocking quote.

We have a 9 Seater Shuttle and I was able to put it on our Admiral Multi Car policy, when I did contact them I was referred to vans who said I should be a car customer. Renewal is in March so we will see how competitive they are compared to other companies.

I have just got my V5 back from DVLA. Now a 5 seater. :) I will see if it lowers my insurance now.

Just going through this as well, had to do the same on our T5. The V5 showed 9 seats but it was an 8 seater and I just changed the V5 to suit. We have 5 seats in 99% of the time but still insure it as an 8 as there has been occasions where rear seats have gone back in and god forbid there was an accident and we only insure it as 5 seater.
Total PITA to be honest as its under my wifes insurance and for some unknown reason they wont insure her on a 9 seater but perfectly fine as an 8 seater.

I have just got my V5 back from DVLA. Now a 5 seater. :) I will see if it lowers my insurance now.
Hi mate, I'm qurious how did you manage in the end?
Thinking of buying a 9 seater shuttle now but little worried about cost of insurance and not really need the double bench front seat. Wander if it's going to be any cheaper if I convert it to 8 seater?

Hi mate, I'm qurious how did you manage in the end?
Thinking of buying a 9 seater shuttle now but little worried about cost of insurance and not really need the double bench front seat. Wander if it's going to be any cheaper if I convert it to 8 seater?

I know from my own experience that they will massively reduce the price if it's an 8 seater. At 9 seats it officially becomes a minibus in the eyes of the Insurance companies. So the simple job of getting a single passenger seat swapped into place is all that's needed.

If you're planning on converting it, Just Kampers will do a 'conversion' policy, on the understanding that the seats are coming out pronto (and let's be honest, there isn't much 'converting' you can do with them in place) .

Back