Shuttle Insurance

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I would start a post after a shock today picking my new shuttle up.
I thought I would change the insurance online once I knew the van was mine so left it till the last minute, completely my bad for not thinking but when I tried to do it online (Tesco's) it would not work and gave no error, I had done it the past without problems.
I called them and they soon told me why, It is a 9 seater so they would not insure me. A massive blow and a shock considering I was insured with on a 7 seater.
In the end I spent half hour on the phone with VW insurance taking them up on the free 5 day cover, they also had to direct me elsewhere as they would only do 5 seaters but still got 5 days free.
The rear seats wont actually be in but its classed as a 9 seater on the reg which is a pain.

So my question now is,
Who are people insuring their 9 seater shuttles with?
I am not using it for commercial use, just s,d,p and communiting.

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Would that make it easier to insure as a 6 seater or would it still be classed as a minibus? Would I need to take the floor mounts out for the pictures or just the seat?

St4n99

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I would start a post after a shock today picking my new shuttle up.
I thought I would change the insurance online once I knew the van was mine so left it till the last minute, completely my bad for not thinking but when I tried to do it online (Tesco's) it would not work and gave no error, I had done it the past without problems.
I called them and they soon told me why, It is a 9 seater so they would not insure me. A massive blow and a shock considering I was insured with on a 7 seater.
In the end I spent half hour on the phone with VW insurance taking them up on the free 5 day cover, they also had to direct me elsewhere as they would only do 5 seaters but still got 5 days free.
The rear seats wont actually be in but its classed as a 9 seater on the reg which is a pain.

So my question now is,
Who are people insuring their 9 seater shuttles with?
I am not using it for commercial use, just s,d,p and communiting.
Before I converted mine ,it was a 9 seater shuttle and and insured it with Elephant as it was my insurer for the car , I actually didn't think 9 seats was a problem to insure , ano if your under 21 insurance companies tend to hold back with certain vehicles but that's a new one to me for having extra seats

Ads_Essex

Local lowlife
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Would that make it easier to insure as a 6 seater or would it still be classed as a minibus? Would I need to take the floor mounts out for the pictures or just the seat?
I don’t know the ins and out of registering but would think that taking seats out and reclassifying its so you can only legally carry, say, 6 people, would be enough to satisfy your insurer that it’s no longer a 9 seater.

Radford1071s

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there I have a 9 seater and I,m with just kampers just now but got a better deal and was real easy with A - plan. A guy called Stuart king. Made it very simple and my cover also covers me for putting fancy alloys, side bars, and even to take seats out if I so wished. Real simple. Hope this helps.

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Privalige insured mine as a 9 seater. After modification into a camper started, Just Kampers insured me, as long as I only used
6 seats while conversion was ongoing.

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I went with Santander in the end. They were cheapest at £800!!
I will be using it as a van basically most of the time so the rear seats wont be in but my Mrs has a thing about offering every a lift to every member of the family so the option of 9 seats is still there whenever we need it.
Went shuttle route as we do lots of dual carraigeway driving so 70mph is a must for us.

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a factory 9 seat window van. We dont actually need 9 seats but was a good price with most things already done that I was going to do to a panel van. Added bonus is that it is classed as a car on DVLA so car speed limits and £145 tax!!

Anyway, got a shock when I phoned insurance companies. Flux were £1240 :-0 however 8 seats is only £320 both with additional mods!

Front bench seat out and matching single seat installed on day 2 of ownership. SWMBO prefers a single seat as much more comfortable. Just need to notify DVLA when the V5 arrives.

I do wonder if some of the insurance companies have their rules mixed up - 8 seats plus driver is still classed as a car. 9 plus driver is a commercial mini bus.

Ian

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Yip @Paynewright , it was more the fact that I just paid £200 for my Shuttle VED. But it's a 150 BHP with DSG and LWB, so emissions make the difference.

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
£200 road tax here for a 150.
Just my insurance that killed me with it. I could only use 3 years ncb for this which probably did not help. All my others are tied up on another vehicle. I will be a little more careful when I renew the vehicle with all the ncb and keep some spare for when the shuttle is up for renewal.

Glad to hear it was not just me that had a shocking quote.

Nayfurn

We have a 9 Seater Shuttle and I was able to put it on our Admiral Multi Car policy, when I did contact them I was referred to vans who said I should be a car customer. Renewal is in March so we will see how competitive they are compared to other companies.

bullracing

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have just got my V5 back from DVLA. Now a 5 seater. :) I will see if it lowers my insurance now.

coullstar

T6 Pro
Just going through this as well, had to do the same on our T5. The V5 showed 9 seats but it was an 8 seater and I just changed the V5 to suit. We have 5 seats in 99% of the time but still insure it as an 8 as there has been occasions where rear seats have gone back in and god forbid there was an accident and we only insure it as 5 seater.
Total PITA to be honest as its under my wifes insurance and for some unknown reason they wont insure her on a 9 seater but perfectly fine as an 8 seater.

Bart_K

I have just got my V5 back from DVLA. Now a 5 seater. :) I will see if it lowers my insurance now.
Hi mate, I'm qurious how did you manage in the end?
Thinking of buying a 9 seater shuttle now but little worried about cost of insurance and not really need the double bench front seat. Wander if it's going to be any cheaper if I convert it to 8 seater?

Strange Al

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi mate, I'm qurious how did you manage in the end?
Thinking of buying a 9 seater shuttle now but little worried about cost of insurance and not really need the double bench front seat. Wander if it's going to be any cheaper if I convert it to 8 seater?
I know from my own experience that they will massively reduce the price if it's an 8 seater. At 9 seats it officially becomes a minibus in the eyes of the Insurance companies. So the simple job of getting a single passenger seat swapped into place is all that's needed.

If you're planning on converting it, Just Kampers will do a 'conversion' policy, on the understanding that the seats are coming out pronto (and let's be honest, there isn't much 'converting' you can do with them in place) .