my day-van shuttle conversion

oakesy2001uk

Any advice from those that have done similar would be great!

Probably a relatively common one, I'm the proud new owner of a t5.1 2014 LWB DSG shuttle which I'll be putting a simple conversion in.

I need 6 seats and want to keep it van-able for bikes, carrying loads etc... Thinking some kind of fold away bed with storage underneath that can be removed, or even the click together kombi-bed. I don't want a side-kitchen and can't have one needing 6 seats, a kitchen pod I could take out and put in an awning might be good. but well designed easy to unpack camping gear may serve just as well. Just need to be careful getting internal storage right.

I originally was going to keep the shuttle interior due to liking the window blinds and trim - but I think you just loose too much space and height.so whatever decision on the above, the first job is to strip, insulate and line.

Would a normal LWB, twin slider, tailgate ply kit fit? assuming removal of rood vents and HVAC unit? How much insulation did people use on a LWB? I'm thinking dodo or silent coat with recycled bottle in the voids unless people have found a cheaper just as good solution.

I was even thinking of ditching the rearmost windows completely with 100% tints and just insulate and ply over them?

All advice gratefully received!

Ok... So I've got a bit further.

I've decided to ditch the shuttle roof and plastics to maximize space and go full height ply over the rear quarter windows which I'll have blacked out first. - Has anyone else done this? Should I be sticking insulation to the window, I was thinking of using my floor insulation foam to make a tight seal against the window then having some recycled bottle behind that.

I've ordered a mix of 2mm and 4mm silent coat, some dodo duo mat for the floor and the thermal van liner to go over the silent coat. on the walls and ceiling. Then a ply kit from customshop designs.

Once I've put my dead mat duo down on the floor full coverage, can I just glue the 12mm one piece ply to that? I was planning to keep the tie downs so they will also be holding it in?

After that it just some decisions on the bed, electrics and heater!

I'll be busy the next couple of weeks! - I'll start a build thread, I'm quite new at all this so any help and advice gratefully received!

How are you getting on with this? I've just bought a shuttle and currently trying to figure out what to do. I love the windows but also think extra insulation in the back might be better.

I've decided to ditch the shuttle roof and plastics to maximize space and go full height ply over the rear quarter windows which I'll have blacked out first. - Has anyone else done this? Should I be sticking insulation to the window, I was thinking of using my floor insulation foam to make a tight seal against the window then having some recycled bottle behind that.

I've ordered a mix of 2mm and 4mm silent coat, some dodo duo mat for the floor and the thermal van liner to go over the silent coat. on the walls and ceiling. Then a ply kit from customshop designs.

Once I've put my dead mat duo down on the floor full coverage, can I just glue the 12mm one piece ply to that? I was planning to keep the tie downs so they will also be holding it in?

I'll be busy the next couple of weeks! - I'll start a build thread, I'm quite new at all this so any help and advice gratefully received!
I thought about this and decided I couldn’t be arse as thermal blinds on the two rear quarter windows does the same thing.
In the process of installing this which can be easily removed and rear triple put back in.

E4EEBD8C-A2AB-4059-9669-35C6316A1490.jpeg

Hi mate, how's the build going so far. Im wanting to do similar with my shuttle as I also want the space for loading bikes in the back, but want a bed system too. Thinking of something like the vankings bed setup. I want to remove the plastics and carpet, but really not sure how to deal the the rear ac con unit. Looking for inspiration and any tips really :)

When I take my mountainbike out I just remove the vanking bed, takes (5 mins) fold the rear bench down and remove the front wheel of the mountainbike.

When I take my mountainbike out I just remove the vanking bed, takes (5 mins) fold the rear bench down and remove the front wheel of the mountainbike.
Thanks good to know. The vanking does look a pretty good solution for what I require. The other option that caught my eye was the JC vans VW Transporter Multi-Bed | JC Vans I like the idea of the draw under for all my crap. They have suggested that if I were to fit the hub wheel holder things for bikes (not sure of correct name) to the top shelf whilst the bed is in bulkhead position (still able to use the back seats then) that bikes could sit ontop with the front wheel out.

I made a drawer under the vanking bed to make use of the cavernous space, Vanking have a good facebook page where you can see what other people have made to utilize their storage space.

20210507_174726.jpg

Hi, how did you fasten it to the vanking bed? Also were you charged any import tax on the drawer slides?

Hi, how did you fasten it to the vanking bed? Also were you charged any import tax on the drawer slides?
I purchased some 6mm angled ali brackets and used longer bolts, it all secures to the mounting holes in the van so you dont have to drill the van king bed. If you check in my signature it will take you to my build. If you need anymore info message me.

I purchased some 6mm angled ali brackets and used longer bolts, it all secures to the mounting holes in the van so you dont have to drill the van king bed. If you check in my signature it will take you to my build. If you need anymore info message me.
Cheers, I was over thinking how to attach, looks easy! Just a quick q though, I've had the vanking for a while, mine has 3 cross members and 1 board. I see that the board is split now

I have 2 cross members and 1 board aswell. There are different variations due to van spec.

Back