Shuttle camper conversion?

Nielsca

I am a newbie to the conversion process. I have a 2019 LWB DSG shuttle and I will be converting it over the next 6-9 months. I have arranged and booked a Pop top fitting but any advice on the best order to complete things, will be very much welcomed.I would like to know what I can be doing between now and the roof fitting. I am a competent DIYer, so much of the work is within my capability level. Many thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I’m looking at popping my VW Transporter cherry and have been trawling the net and eBay to find my perfect one. Ideally I want a lwb with tailgate and mfsw, which at sometime in the future I’ll be converting into a camper.
I think I’ve now found the right one, but it’s a shuttle and was wondering if this will create a big headache whilst converting due to the lights and vents in the roof and switches on the dashboard.
Any advice or experience that anyone has had with a shuttle would be greatly appreciated before I pull the trigger and buy. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Other than the similar threads shown below, this may be a good starting point for research:

@Shelts80 Sold our T5 earlier this year and purchased a T6 LWB Shuttle as we wanted twin sliders, tailgate etc. We got a much better spec'd van at a much lower price. We're doing a full conversation so everything is coming out of the back. Even then some converters don't like them, they tend to stick to their std conversations. We found a converter we like and it's currently being done.
Overall there shouldn't be any issues but there are things to be aware off depending on what you want / don't want to keep from the shuttle e.g. Aircon / heater unit etc. Make sure whoever is doing the work is happy with shutttles. One large converter told me the day after we purchased it to sell the van, the co we're using have just worked around it.

I have just purchased 2018 T6 TDI 150 7 SPEED DSG AUTO 9 seat shuttle SE . the passenger seats have been taken out. has anyone fitted a rock n roll bed into one of these, or got any conversion ideas please ? appreciate any advice.
Phil

IMG_6184.PNG

IMG_6290.JPG

I am a newbie to the conversion process. I have a 2019 LWB DSG shuttle and I will be converting it over the next 6-9 months. I have arranged and booked a Pop top fitting but any advice on the best order to complete things, will be very much welcomed.I would like to know what I can be doing between now and the roof fitting. I am a competent DIYer, so much of the work is within my capability level. Many thanks in advance.

Hey Nielsca! how are you going with the conversion?

I'm doing the same conversion too with a 2016 T32 lwb DSG Shuttle, although I haven't started yet due to breaking my ankle last week :thumbsdown:.
You're out at Verwood arent you? I'm in Weymouth! Look forward to watching your build thread grow. Here's my project base:

IMG-2693.jpgIMG-2688.JPGIMG-2689.JPGIMG-2690.JPGIMG-2691.JPGIMG-2693.jpg

Hi, I hope it all goes well for you. I have had to make changes, due to circumstances and I am selling my Shuttle. So, I won't be doing anything. Lets hope your ankle improves and you have fun with the build. I have made a contact on the Forum, who is working on his shuttle. I will give you his details if you wish. All the best.

Hi, I hope it all goes well for you. I have had to make changes, due to circumstances and I am selling my Shuttle. So, I won't be doing anything. Lets hope your ankle improves and you have fun with the build. I have made a contact on the Forum, who is working on his shuttle. I will give you his details if you wish. All the best.
Hey, sorry to hear that; don't ditch the plans you made! keep them for another time; I'm sure you'll get a shot at it in the future!?!
Yeah, the ankle will heal; I'm climbing the walls! quite ironic considering it was a climbing accident that caused the break in the first place! Yes please, if you could hook me up with your contact I would be grateful.

I hope the change in circumstance thing resolves itself; take care! :thumbsup:

I will message him and if it's ok with him, I will give him your details.
I am 65, so things might not change much. I will probably not find the time, nor the finances to do the conversion. However, I never say never. Speak soon.

Hi Any names of companies who would convert my T6 LWB 2018 shuttle ?
Thanks
Phil

View attachment 95187

View attachment 95188

Hi, I own a T5 2005 shuttle which I cannot justify spending money on an elevating roof. However, I do like the roof vents, lighting and air-con.

At minimum I think you need to keep some venting to the back.

If you are selling your interior shuttle panels I would be interested as mine was last used as a builders van!

Best wishes

Dave

Hey, sorry to hear that; don't ditch the plans you made! keep them for another time; I'm sure you'll get a shot at it in the future!?!
Yeah, the ankle will heal; I'm climbing the walls! quite ironic considering it was a climbing accident that caused the break in the first place! Yes please, if you could hook me up with your contact I would be grateful.

I hope the change in circumstance thing resolves itself; take care! :thumbsup:
sorry to hear about the ankle mate, I’m really interested in your build though,any update let us know!

Ps love the van

Please show off your converted shuttle, especially if you've decided to keep certain elements OEM such as the roof and sliding doors :D

I've recently purchased a 2019 T6 LWB shuttle with twin sliding doors which I absolutely love. I'm currently debating options for semi converting it to give me options for keeping at least the front 2 seats (to add/remove as needed) and maintaining the roof lights/air vents whilst adding a campervan feel.

IMG_20220531_145727.jpg

I love the look of Window Pods but a friend says that his feels cheap despite being v2. Related, am I in for any nasty surprises after removing trim in the rear such as trim bonded to the windows, etc?

I'm also debating replacing the carpet flooring with a nice wooden one that only has mounting points for at least 2 front seats which I can then use for securing furniture to. I don't need the rear set of 3 seats so I'll be selling those.

Essentially I'm interesting in what people have done with carpeting & converting just the rear third of the van from the tailgate up to the sliding doors.

check out Kernow Transporters on Facebook, they have experience fitting pop top etc to shuttles, caravelles etc with sliding rails to be used as camper

Back