Show Us Your Expensive Wheels!

You looked into the gtechniq ceramic coating life?! Worth a punt..

Yes, Gtechniq sent us several different products to test on the surfaces we work on. We work mainly with fibreglass and plastic, plus enamel coatings, and these products are better suited to painted and lacquered surfaces for several different reasons in my professional opinion.
I did test it on my wheels and roof of my T6. The roof showed good results, but then so did other products we test, but the wheels were a disaster. They were freshly powder coated, and the product dulled off the finish, and this is not an isolated incident from what I read.

All these services are only really as good as the application, preparation and aftercare, so if I had to use this type of service, i'd probably use an independent company, and not a huge dealership or a company that turns over dozens of these jobs a day.

Did you get it done? What was your thoughts
Unfortunately not. It seemed steep at the time.
I’ve bought some cheepo spray on stuff (SP-RIN-TS) and tested it out on the golf. It’s actually come up really well and the rain runs off like a ducks back. For the glass I used auto finesse caramics wipe on stuff. Again has worked a treat so I’ll do the van at the weekend with them as well.

With regard to powder coat, is there any way to recover a dulled surface?
I've got a frame that was powder coated freshly in january and the surface has gone dull and flat, all its had on it is degreaser (Morris), hot water with persil washing powder and wurth ultra 2040.
Any ideas??

With regard to powder coat, is there any way to recover a dulled surface?
I've got a frame that was powder coated freshly in january and the surface has gone dull and flat, all its had on it is degreaser (Morris), hot water with persil washing powder and wurth ultra 2040.
Any ideas??

On my wheels no, but that's only because they were so complex, that it would of taken weeks to put them right.

Without seeing your issues it's hard to ascertain if they can be rectified or not, but I've found with powder coating it's tough to rectify chemical damage.

Out of interest, why would you use a washing up powder on a metal frame?
I only ask because we've seen this, and many other kitchen products used on the Caravan and Motorhome exteriors of our jobs, but we never dare ask why :eek:

Thanks for your input.
Its a kart chassis so gets some stick, but its meticulously maintained.
I wonder if its the degreaser, its quite strong stuff but washed off within minutes of being applied.

Yes, Gtechniq sent us several different products to test on the surfaces we work on. We work mainly with fibreglass and plastic, plus enamel coatings, and these products are better suited to painted and lacquered surfaces for several different reasons in my professional opinion.
I did test it on my wheels and roof of my T6. The roof showed good results, but then so did other products we test, but the wheels were a disaster. They were freshly powder coated, and the product dulled off the finish, and this is not an isolated incident from what I read.

All these services are only really as good as the application, preparation and aftercare, so if I had to use this type of service, i'd probably use an independent company, and not a huge dealership or a company that turns over dozens of these jobs a day.

The guy I was planning to use is deepshine detail from Lincoln, solo lad in a garage, churns a few out a week... he’d quoted £800 for paint, alloys, suspension, engine bay, and interior and dash... but I said with it being new, I was only bothered about the paint work protection as I am changing wheels anyway... and not fussed about engine bay, again with it being new still.. so he dropped it to £700. Not much budge on price !

Reactions: SUP
Thanks for your input.
Its a kart chassis so gets some stick, but its meticulously maintained.
I wonder if its the degreaser, its quite strong stuff but washed off within minutes of being applied.

Morris Degreaser is a solvent based product, and shouldn't effect any painted finish.

The guy I was planning to use is deepshine detail from Lincoln, solo lad in a garage, churns a few out a week... he’d quoted £800 for paint, alloys, suspension, engine bay, and interior and dash... but I said with it being new, I was only bothered about the paint work protection as I am changing wheels anyway... and not fussed about engine bay, again with it being new still.. so he dropped it to £700. Not much budge on price !

Knowing what we charge to apply a protection to something 4 times the size of a T6, and the work involved, I'd be tempted to call a couple more detailers for prices. Bare in mind that the price might include any correction work. You own a Black vehicle, and a simple wash incorrectly will create a multitude of issues that will need correction work before any type if sealer is applied.
Any correction work should be included within a quote, or at least warned about. Most experienced detailers will ask you to not let the dealer wash it at all.

Interesting stuff TS, thanks for that. Maybe its just the quality of the powder coat.
When I paid over £6k for a new kart chassis its just a little disappointing.
Never mind, worse things happen than a bit of dull metal!!

Morris Degreaser is a solvent based product, and shouldn't effect any painted finish.

Knowing what we charge to apply a protection to something 4 times the size of a T6, and the work involved, I'd be tempted to call a couple more detailers for prices. Bare in mind that the price might include any correction work. You own a Black vehicle, and a simple wash incorrectly will create a multitude of issues that will need correction work before any type if sealer is applied.
Any correction work should be included within a quote, or at least warned about. Most experienced detailers will ask you to not let the dealer wash it at all.

Yes exactly mate, its all been put in the quote, machine polish, paint correction, all prepared properly BEFORE applying the paint protection... his pictures speak for themselves to be fair...

On my wheels no, but that's only because they were so complex, that it would of taken weeks to put them right.

Without seeing your issues it's hard to ascertain if they can be rectified or not, but I've found with powder coating it's tough to rectify chemical damage.

Out of interest, why would you use a washing up powder on a metal frame?
I only ask because we've seen this, and many other kitchen products used on the Caravan and Motorhome exteriors of our jobs, but we never dare ask why :eek:

I use hot water with washing powder after degreasing.
It cuts into all the debris loosened by the degreaser and brings engine cases and plastics up lovely. There's always lots of chain lube, tyre rubber, brake dust and general track detritus to get rid of.
A quick rinse off with the jet wash, good blow over with the air line and a bit of ultra 2040 helps disperse any remaining water.
My kart takes a good 8-10 hours to prep between meetings as long as nothing is broken.

Back