Show us your Driver/Pax Seat Leisure Battery setups

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have no idea how this lot is going to fit under the seat along with the biggest battery I can get my hands on
Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 16.22.02.png

OK, so I only need the DC-DC and 240 breaker under there, picture for sheer pleasure of seeing all that wonderful Victron kit together:D

As I see it there needs to be a plate made up to strap the battery to, plus the mounting of the DC-DC and 240 circuit breaker that will need access to for resetting if required.

Screenshot 2019-12-01 at 16.22.19.png

So I'm looking for inspiration as to how you've managed this??

I'm also seriously considering purchasing a Lithium battery. I have a 75Amp/Hr [Lead] leisure battery kicking around that's probably 5 years old.
A) It's not big enough for my needs, (I think, working this out later tonight)
B) Lithium batteries are around 35% lighter and considerably smaller - so I can pack more power into a smaller space.

Questions;
1 - Do I need a heat matt of some description for low temperature charging? (I've read this somewhere).
2 - Is anyone else running Lithium - what are your experiences in the real world?
3 - As I'm utilising the drivers space, I assume I can route my diesel heater air pipe anywhere in the cab? I've only seen them mounted under and behind the drivers side.

Thanks guys

I thought lithium batteries are smaller but when I went to alpha batteries the 100Ah lithium was exactly the same size as my 110Ah leisure battery, although considerably lighter.

Where are you planning to bring your EHU and solar cables into the van ?
As these came into the back of our van, we put the solar controller and mains circuit breaker in the back.

Pete

I thought lithium batteries are smaller but when I went to alpha batteries the 100Ah lithium was exactly the same size as my 110Ah leisure battery, although considerably lighter.
You bought a Lithium battery from Alpha Batteries? Good experience?
I've been looking at the sizes, I think your right - the size is about the same.
Can Lithium be laid on its side like AGM?

You bought a Lithium battery from Alpha Batteries? Good experience?
I've been looking at the sizes, I think your right - the size is about the same.
Can Lithium be laid on its side like AGM?

No I went there to have a battery tested. Whilst there I was asking about Lithium.

When I dropped my battery off to test they lent me a brand new identical battery to us in its place even though I bought the battery elsewhere (which reminds me they haven't contacted me with the results on the test yet).
I've no idea about that, however the 100Ah will fit under a seat stood up.

Now if I do upgrade my battery Alpha Batteries is the place I would buy from.

It’s an Xtreme XR1750. 110ah. Fitted into a standard seat base. Not sure if you have swivel plates on your seats, not sure one would fit, might be a bit close to the terminals

It’s an Xtreme XR1750. 110ah. Fitted into a standard seat base. Not sure if you have swivel plates on your seats, not sure one would fit, might be a bit close to the terminals
Thanks, i don't have a swivel seat and don't plan to on my drivers seat so that battery looks spot on. Will try and find one online for a good price. Ordered my CTEK and wiring yesterday.

Here's mine;

63854-c031c40c2e9d378fc3ae194d0506b1ba.jpg 63853-08ebfd02ab7015c331b8ae6c46b3a3a7.jpg

Renogy DCC50S DC/DC & MPPT
Victron 240V 12V 30A Charger
Victron Shunt for BMS
Victron BP65 battery protection
Excide 95Ah AGM

Wylex double pole single width RCBOs (save a lot of space in the consumer unit) under the bonnet

Neat setup, I’m planning to have that lot at the rear of my van as I have the Planair heater mounted under the seat area with the hot air feed coming up and under the seat into the cabin.

Sorry probably dump question: Some of these setups are quite cramped, are there no heat dissipation considerations when installing this kit?

Last edited:
Sorry probably dump question: Some of these setups are quite cramped, are there no heat dissipation considerations when installing this kit?
There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Not sure about 'dump' questions tho?

My theory is;
The 240V charger is 93% efficient and 180W so may generate about 12-15W of heat, and it's bolted to an aluminium struts, so there's plenty of airflow around it to dissipate that, I think.
The DC/DC unit is supposed to have 5cm above and below it, which it does. Although it's level with the top of the seat base, there's a huge space under the seat itself when in the driving position (when the DC/DC is working)
The battery also has airflow over the top of it, it's fitted in a similar way to our last camper and that never got too hot.

All this is yet to be put into practice. I'll post an update, although this could be a while off given last night's news.

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Not sure about 'dump' questions tho?
Haha, can I get away with blaming fat fingers and autocorrect for that?

Ok, so it sounds like you have enough allowance in there. Just asking as mine is currently split with the battery and dc-dc under one seat, the solar controller under the other and the EHU consumer unit at the back. Sounds like I could move all (barring the consumer unit) under the passenger seat to fit a big sub under the drivers seat

So I’ve decided to keep the leisure battery under the drivers seat, can I see Pictures of your setups, how it’s been mounted and where you have mounted your dc-dc, fuses etc.

I was thinking of a ply pannel on the back of the drivers seat metal work low down...

Back