Show us your day van conversions!

Jonnydub

VIP Member
Looking for inspiration and ingenious ideas to make a great day van. Own a shuttle so particularly interested in any shuttle ideas but keen to see all vans and how you’ve made them your own.

Will upload some pics with how I’m getting on

Would be interested in seeing ideas too!
Is yours a LWB or a SWB shuttle?

I have a shuttle myself which I was keen to turn into a part convert (we need to keep 7 sea.

Our ideas were a van-king style bed to fold over the two rows of seats when they’re folded down (know van-king don’t do them for a swb but was going to build one ourselves). Under this in the boot we were going to build space into a dog travel space.

We have a 2+1 in the middle row so was going to remove the single and fit a mini kitchen pod in here. A really small one that could be lifted in and out easily.

Awning rail with inflatable awning.

Leisure battery and diesel heater.

Pop top....but now not sure if we can have this as we’ve been told it basically takes up the whole roof and we’d loose all lights/ac/vents etc plus because the tops of the plastics would be exposed these would all have to be removed too basically meaning we would have to practically strip the van back to a panel van to fit one so in two minds re what to do now

What are your plans?

I am interested to follow this thread as I too don't want a full camper setup? more a van that I can use day to day and on my rest days pop off to the hills for a days hiking/ mountain biking/kayaking and return to eat & sleep with a pooch or two in relatively comfortable conditions

What qualifies it as a Day Van?
My SWB layout is based on the recent California Beach (ish). It has low level side units, with a 2 seater California sliding seat alongside, meaning me and the Mrs have a full width bed. If the rear shelf is taken out, the seat can slide all the way back to give an L shaped seating area. There is a top loading fridge in one of the units, plus a leisure battery and inverter for a Nespresso machine. It also has a pop top and Webasto heater.
So what does all this look like:

4A224B2E-ECF7-4701-9878-D81BD9D255B6.jpeg44A49F9C-97C5-4783-8A82-E5D60FC46E8C.jpegC30DE47D-5EB5-4B71-AEFF-B6BD9B49BAB8.jpeg
Pre COVID, I was sleeping in this 3 nights a week so treated it as a mobile bedroom really. But I have also overnighted in it following walks in the Lakes and even before a powder snowboard day at Glencoe a year ago.
Never stayed on a campsite though - apart from Busfest 2019 if that counts.

That’s lovely! If I had the money the new Cali beach would deffo be the one for me. Love the little door card stowaway kitchen....only praying they come on sale to buys separately soon enough so we can fit one to our shuttle conversion! Would solve so many problems

That’s lovely! If I had the money the new Cali beach would deffo be the one for me. Love the little door card stowaway kitchen....only praying they come on sale to buys separately soon enough so we can fit one to our shuttle conversion! Would solve so many problems
Yes that kitchen looks a useful design indeed.

Deaky, can I ask how you put your led lights above in the square. I’ve tried to look at a halo but as we have the Hilo surf can’t do it.

Leisure battery, split and planar diesel heater fitted by autoterm (need to tidy with a panel). Double rusty lee swivels fitted, but then had to take the double back out as I couldn’t reconnect airbag :thumbsdown: Looking to wire in a quick release near the handbrake.

29A9296B-C9A8-4DFC-B783-CF45070FA411.jpeg

644E5231-F3E0-4A2E-B522-FC9381BCFB9E.jpeg

9116EA48-8386-4F56-A2D8-15985AB3AEE4.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Van-king bed fitted. Murray the owner is a great guy, he fitted it and gave us loads of tips for a van newbie. We haven’t slept on it yet but feels quality and really quick to set up.

A2879F6B-377C-41A7-AC88-93519E333A92.jpeg

4FEECD29-79F7-4C66-8BDA-3E2EC5F34660.jpeg

997D56F7-C482-468A-B597-5A8893A10B9C.jpeg

My SWB layout is based on the recent California Beach (ish). It has low level side units, with a 2 seater California sliding seat alongside, meaning me and the Mrs have a full width bed. If the rear shelf is taken out, the seat can slide all the way back to give an L shaped seating area. There is a top loading fridge in one of the units, plus a leisure battery and inverter for a Nespresso machine. It also has a pop top and Webasto heater.

View attachment 105284View attachment 105285View attachment 105286
Pre COVID, I was sleeping in this 3 nights a week so treated it as a mobile bedroom really. But I have also overnighted in it following walks in the Lakes and even before a powder snowboard day at Glencoe a year ago.
Morning Shaun
Can you give me some details about the table as I'm looking for one myself.

Best regards

Steve Carroll

Morning Shaun
Can you give me some details about the table as I'm looking for one myself.

Best regards

Steve Carroll
The table was privided by Exploria, and is sized to fit in the dedicated space on the back of the California seat (so is the same size as the California). There is a fold out bracket on the side of the seat, that a table post fits into and the table top screws to this.

@Shaun Witts - are the low level units DIY or flat pack from somewhere?

Which top loading fridge fit in your side units please?

Back