Lower before or after converted?

Andyr12

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi guys as always a little bit of advice please.

I want to lower around 40/50mm although comfort is a priority rather than out and out performance as long term I intend to convert to a camper.

As funds and time are short at the minute my dilemma is if I get the optimum set up and appearance will I have to start again next year once the added weight of the camper is put in to the mix.

Thanks as always

How about adjustable rear springs. Tweak them, as you add the weight. The Eibach springs will give you a 40mm drop. And I think they do a comfort spring, so nice ride

I want to lower around 40/50mm although comfort is a priority

I haven’t done it and I wouldn’t advise one way or the other but if you search through the gizilion suspension threads you might see that lowering and comfort don’t appear together very often. Now I’ll hide while the rocks rain down.
:uh run:

Hi guys as always a little bit of advice please.

I want to lower around 40/50mm although comfort is a priority rather than out and out performance as long term I intend to convert to a camper.

As funds and time are short at the minute my dilemma is if I get the optimum set up and appearance will I have to start again next year once the added weight of the camper is put in to the mix.

Thanks as always

Hi @Andyr12,
This is the exact dilemma that I had, but having talked to Steve @CRS Performance, I made the relatively short trip to Cannock and he put an adjustable KW kit on my empty T30 with a few to tweaking once i've had the conversion done.
only regret i have is that i didn't do it a couple of years ago when i bought the van...

my advice would be to give Steve a call and see what he recommends :thumbsup:

Spend wisely on your suspension, it will be some of the best money you spend on your van.

My recommends are as follows;

If T30 or under go for ST X coilovers, as these are quite simply the best coilovers on the market for the price - Made by KW - These will give you the comfort and control you want, and the option to change the height further down the line when your camper conversion is done.

T32 would be B14 Komforts, specifically made for this vehicle weight rating, and a similar level of comfort and control as the ST X, but just more expensive.

We also have suspension from KW, Eibach and Projekt Senstiv to choose from with various pricing options - You are very lucky as there are lots of very decent suspension systems on offer. We run various demo vehicle with different setups and our kettle is always on if you want a trip down.

If you can't stretch to coilovers, then Eibach offer a comfort spring that is adjustable at the rear end, and works very well on camper conversions.

Oh and don't forget to get it properly aligned afterwards, to get the best out of your suspension, vehicle and tyres - We have Hunter, and all of our fitments include this.

Or watch this space as we have more options coming but not till he new year...... ;-)

How about adjustable rear springs. Tweak them, as you add the weight. The Eibach springs will give you a 40mm drop. And I think they do a comfort spring, so nice ride
Caution! Using the term Comfort regarding springs, comfort is a function of the shock so fitting comfort springs on a standard shock might disappoint.
If you think about it a spring is a wobbly item and if there were no shocks in the car it would bounce around relentlessly . The control of the suspension frequency is what the shock does , The standard van shocks are terrible even when new .

Caution ! using the term Comfort regarding springs , Comfort is a function of the Shock so fitting comfort springs on a standard shock might disappoint.
If you think about it a spring is a wobbly item and if there were no shocks in the car it would bounce around relentlessly . The control of the suspension frequency is what the shock does , The standard van shocks are terrible even when new .
I used the term ‘comfort’ as I believe that’s what they are called!!

I know , its the people who sell these things i was trying to Nudge , not you , apologies .

I find it odd that after 1 year of selling comfortable products with out using the term Comfort to advertise them that everyone and his dog is using the term Comfort to advertise and describe their products . ?? odd , Kind of makes you think that everything sold before WAS uncomfortable ha ha

Define comfort in suspension and then you know what product you want... I wanted to lower the van for aesthetics and for the van to not feel like a big bouncy pram... I now have a solid great feeling and looking van. I can't go as fast over a speed bump as I did before so is that a comfort compromise? Its a big heavy metal box on wheels and amazingly it now feels great to drive. Worth testing vans to see how it is personally for you..

Thanks guys for the comments.

@Trouts do you have any images of your van

hey @Andyr12,
i do, though they're not the best (and i may have got a little bit excited and forgot to take some decent 'before' photos!)

Front end Before:before.jpg

Front end After:after.jpg

and side on after:IMG_8202.jpg

Thanks for the photos @Trouts looks great really transformed the appearance.

Now how to explain to my wife that the kitchen sink is less important and will have to wait as suspension first

ha yeah, it really has, it's still making me grin everytime i look at it! #child!
oh and i forgot to mention in my last post the drop was 50mm - i wasn't worried about it being @Jayjmac low ;) but wanted rid of the gap between the wheel/wheelarch, a better ride and a level of comfort, and this is bang on the sweet spot i think.

also, i can help with the sales pitch to the wife - buy some ARB's and then explain that these, along with the lovely new suspension will dramatically improve the safety of your camper! :thumbsup:

That front wheel angle looks all wrong :eek:

Did you get your suspension fitted without alignment:fast rofl:

Back