Shoes on or off entering the van ?

Come on guys, life is too short to worry about mud and dirt in the van. I have never washed the outside in 3 1/2 years and only vacuumed inside once. I am not going to pansy about changing out of my muddy boots after a tramp across fields in winter with the dogs. Likewise, cooking is what the van was designed for, I am not going to cook outside in the middle of winter. Just use the van, it isn't a shiny expensive trinket to be looked at only.

Come on guys, life is too short to worry about mud and dirt in the van. I have never washed the outside in 3 1/2 years and only vacuumed inside once. I am not going to pansy about changing out of my muddy boots after a tramp across fields in winter with the dogs. Likewise, cooking is what the van was designed for, I am not going to cook outside in the middle of winter. Just use the van, it isn't a shiny expensive trinket to be looked at only.
That's the Dunkirk spirit from good ol' blighty .
Not entirely sure I'm looking to be that non pansy though

mine is much the same..i have a made to measure carpet which covers the floor, after a long walk the dog often traipses muddy paws in and sometimes us too...when it gets too dirty, i just pull it out and jetwash it.

Last edited:
I'm half and half. Agree its there to be used, but not abused!

If its wet, muddy and in the winter ill put my dirty boots in a box in the rear and swap to clean (cleaner) shoes, in the summer I don't bother, likewise if its dry. I give the dog a light towel down before she gets in her van bed.

My theory is I try and keep it clean and tidy but not getting obsessive over it, when dirty it cleans up easily. I have rubber mats which I jet wash down and the rest of the inside of van cleans up well with a hoover and a damp cloth.

My van cab has rubber mats but I have factory carpet so can see carpet on the front wheel arches and between the two captains seats. I also bought a luxury carpet mat for the second row Kombi bench to go over the padded rubber floor - so the cab and kombi area I like to keep clean and also like to sit having lunch etc with no shoes on.

The rear load area also has the padded rubber flooring and I've not carpeted the wheel arches or d pillars so the load area can be abit more commercial/dirty but is still easy to clean - in my old van I carpeted the wheel arches and d pillars and they got really dirty with bike wheels etc.

We have a 1m square of astroturf that serves as a door mat outside the van door. And the van floor is Karndean which is as close to indestructible as you’re going to get. A quick wipe with a damp cloth & it’s back to new. We have a heavy duty boot mat (£5 from B&M) to stand hiking/ski boots on that catches mud/water/snow in the van. Apart from that, it can take its chances.

We have a 1m square of astroturf that serves as a door mat outside the van door. And the van floor is Karndean which is as close to indestructible as you’re going to get. A quick wipe with a damp cloth & it’s back to new. We have a heavy duty boot mat (£5 from B&M) to stand hiking/ski boots on that catches mud/water/snow in the van. Apart from that, it can take its chances.
Cracking idea, astro turf.
I guess that just hoses off easily.
Plus you could you tee off if facing the sea .

Back