Mayo-like sludge in oil filler neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyo72

Sold my Kombi!
VIP Member
77C085D7-8BB0-4358-A9CD-AF0A3FFF9461.jpeg
T32 204Dsg 9 weeks old and just done 2000 miles take the oil filler cap off and discover this, and with the the constant regens for the DPF this is very alarming what in your opinions is causing this.

Anyone else had this after such low mileage and if so what have VW said.

I think I've read somewhere on here that this is quite normal for a 204 engine, if you do a search.

Hi I discovered this when I first checked my dipstick found that mayo type substance on my van was a bit alarmed but then I went on a trip to France and checked it again it’s back to normal mines a 150 dsg.

VW may regard oil emulsification as ‘normal’ but it will reduce the life of the engine.
Water emusified oil not only has severely degraded lubrication properties it also reacts with sulphur from unburnt fuel dilution and blow by gas to create sulphuric acid.
Sulphuric acid will attack engine components causing corrosion, pitting and accelerated mechanical wear.
Water in oil will also allow microbial growth which left unchecked in an unused engine can cause blockages in narrow oilways and filters elements.
Combine all this with a 20K oil change interval and the future looks iffy to say the least.
I’m afraid VW appear to be covering their arse, so glad I got a Euro 5 180ps which doest have this issue even with frequent short journeys.

The oil in the sump is not emulsified, it is just a small amount of moisture at the top of the filler neck that has foamed up.
Any moisture in the form of vapor goes up the crank breather back through combustion but these euro 6s run colder and have a plastic filler tube that acts as a condenser right at the top.
It's easy to wipe out.

As unnerving as it is, according to VW this is totally normal for the Euro6 engine.
If VW say emulsified oil around the filler cap is totally normal for the Euro6 engine why does it not say so in the Owners Manual? Engine oil is covered on 5 pages in the manual, including two full pages on checking the oil level. Great stress is placed on the importance of using the correct engine oil, checking the level frequently, and changing it at the appropriate times. There is also a full page headed Engine oil specification!
On page 240 of the manual it says "additives in the engine can cause new engine oil to discolour quickly. This is normal and does not mean that the engine oil should be changed more frequently." So, there is every opportunity for VW to mention that emulsified oil around the filler cap is also normal, especially as it isn't normal in other vehicles.
Whilst I would be far more worried if emulsified oil appears on the dipstick, until I see it in print I will always worry what is going on in the engine to cause the oil to coagulate around the filler cap.
I suspect VW will say it is totally normal until the 3 year warranty expires, at which point it will become 'abnormal'!

You can probably guess that I am yet to be convinced that it is normal!

I had an oil sample from EU6 150ps engine analyzed after 15.000 miles and 18 months (25.000 km). Amount of water in the oil was 100ppm (parts per million) which is very good. Soot 0.7% - still ok. Fuel dilution 8% - oil change recommended because of reduced lubricity.

Van's oil service counter was also recommending oil change (remaining 2000 km) so at least for that batch of oil the oil service counter gave a good estimation. The oil quality was still within specification but certainly approaching specified limits.

My 1967 VW Beetle used to do this after a series of short runs, and of course that had no coolant to mix with the oil.
As long as this stays at the top of the filler tube then it's "normal".

Pete

Mine had mayo in neck up to last week. Did 600 miles in three days to the south, around and back and it isn’t there any more.
Will monitor and see if it returns on some short journeys soon.

Removed my oil filler cap and found moisture on the inside. Must be normal, as my van has only done 22 miles.....

That's not normal, I haven't got it on mine although I used to have it on my 1980 vauxhall firenza which went on to blow up ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back