Servicing - dealer or indy?

Urbanfox

Bri
T6 Guru
My T6 is now over 3 years old but recently converted to a camper. It was serviced last August so I will have to think about getting it done at sometime. Is the VW VC service cost worth it as I could get the next 4 + mot for
£799 + the dreaded VAT. Thats 2 interim and 2 full.
I was thinking of a DIY job but that may affect the resale value in the future, I'm no spring chicken anymore but have done plenty of my own work in the distant past.
Is it cheaper to get an Independent workshop for the servicing.
All my previous vehicles, cars, where new and had service plans from new so went to the dealer for servicing.
Thoughts please.

I recently have been through this same thought process.
On the dealers web site near me, they say u can buy direct from them 2 or 4 services.
T6 though you have to call them.
The bloke I got talking to on the service desk clearly didn’t know anything, firstly saying it wasn’t available.
Then when he gave me a quote for a service it was so expensive. I nearly fell off my chair saying just for an oil change !
Anyway. He called me back saying that it is possible but not through the dealer, u do it on the vw.co.uk site.
U put in ur reg. and then it gives u options.
I went with the 2 services, minor and major. I saved over £130 on what I was quoted.
I still don’t think the numbers were right the ones he said are the national rate...... but I saved quite a bit going down this route.

I still wanted to use the dealer since the service engineer who does the work I have got chatting to now and he seems solid.
So I felt happy with that choice.

I was in the same boat as you, always having a service plan, etc. I have not serviced my own vehicles for a long time. Luckily I know an excellent commercial fitter who looks after several fleets of crafter's, transporters and caddy's. When mine is due something he will do it for me, with my assistance (hindrance). Ok I'll be making the tea. I would seriously recommend anyone outside warranty to go down this route of a using a commercial garage.

U put in ur reg. and then it gives u options.
I went with the 2 services, minor and major. I saved over £130 on what I was quoted.

I tried that on the VW site for my T6. It issued me a contract number took my payment, then sent me an email cancelling the contract. I phoned VW and followed their recommendation but it again cancelled after taking my payment. It took me much too long to get it refunded the second time so I gave up on-line. VW HQ were adamant that only dealers could arrange it manually. Dealers were certain only VW HQ could arrange it.

A complete shambles so I gave up and pay for each service as I require it.

I personally have never been to a dealer for services and it's probably because I have never bought a brand new car or van but my cousin has bought a new Audi this year and has a service plan and when I read the plan it states that if they can clean the air and polen filters then they will, instead of replacement ,I feel when the car is going in for it's full service theese parts should be changed and not cleaned , ano the plan is part of his deal with the car but a feel that's an opportunity for them not to even touch the filters as my cousin isn't going to check , as your van is out of warranty then ad find a good indi that will service your van and you will save money

I personally have never been to a dealer for services and it's probably because I have never bought a brand new car or van but my cousin has bought a new Audi this year and has a service plan and when I read the plan it states that if they can clean the air and polen filters then they will, instead of replacement ,I feel when the car is going in for it's full service theese parts should be changed and not cleaned , ano the plan is part of his deal with the car but a feel that's an opportunity for them not to even touch the filters as my cousin isn't going to check , as your van is out of warranty then ad find a good indi that will service your van and you will save money
I was thinking along this line but the big problem is finding a good reliable garage not that I trust a VW comercialservice centre anymore than any one else that I have had no deals with and I certainly don't know any garages that are good with VW vans!!! Maybe the firm who converted my van will have someone, will have to ask.
Catch 22 situation but I can at least chang the oil, filters and brake discs/pads if I have to and I will know its been done.
At circia£145 + vat for an oil change, I think its time to dig the tool box out and dust it off.;);)

I was thinking along this line but the big problem is finding a good reliable garage not that I trust a VW comercialservice centre anymore than any one else that I have had no deals with and I certainly don't know any garages that are good with VW vans!!! Maybe the firm who converted my van will have someone, will have to ask.
Catch 22 situation but I can at least chang the oil, filters and brake discs/pads if I have to and I will know its been done.
At circia£145 + vat for an oil change, I think its time to dig the tool box out and dust it off.;);)
I have an indi that I have been going to for around 7 year , I was introduced to them by a friend who had a bodyshop next door to them so there is trust there, I do completely understand your comment on finding a gd one to trust , crazy money for an oil change , defo get the tools out :thumbsup:

The good thing about doing it yourself is you can put what oil in and use what filters you want and not cheap commercial oil

whats cheap commercial oil then?
I think redsox is meaning you can change your oil with a higher grade than VW will use , in most cases what I do with my indi is supply the oil and filter I want or if I don't get a chance Al get them to give me a few price's of a higher grade oils , shell helix is in the van the now but as long as it's correct oil you will be fine

Commercial oil is oil that is bought in bulk and is lower grade than the oil you buy of the shelf that how they make money

When my van is 3 years old next month, i will service it myself, draining the oil while the engine is hot, after a good run, unlike the main dealer. It also won't be subjected to one of their monkey's road testing it after. No patronising service man saying that they had to change the brake discs, and thats why they need £700.
If i was expecting to part ex the van with a main dealer, i would take it to an indy, but my last two Transporters sold privately and the buyers were more than happy with my documented evidence of servicing- Date, mileage, and oil brand used, written on the cut off end of the oil filter box!

Who’s being soft do you think thay are putting top quality oil in your bus :: Rilly ‘
Of course they are , VW commercial only use the best oil , it's that gd it tells your ECU that you need a service sooner than it really does :rolleyes:

Back