Self Build Lwb To Full 4 Birth Camper

Hey Nick
Thanks for this amazingly documented build thread.
I was just about mine, but it'll have to wait a couple of months now after breaking my ankle last week :thumbsdown:
Looking forward to getting started.
I'm in Weymouth, but I grew up in Christchurch! My brother still lives there and I hang out with him regularly, so I'll look out for you! my bro drives a 72 bay; a white top half, and patina bare steel lower body.

Oh, and SWEET build by the way; she is sick!!! :cool:

Day 5

Installing the RIB Bed and strengthening beam.

The Rib bed is a fabulous bit of kit. Even though it has a steep price tag, you will defiantly see a difference in quality compared to a cheaper alternative. The bed has a very comfy laid back seating position, where as some make you feel like you fitting to stay in your seat. There is no moving parts or springs rattling around when you are driving.
The only negative that I find with the rib bed is that the sleeping side of it is very hard. I have brought a purpose built mattress topper for the rib bed. This is made of 2" memory foam and comes from eBay at circa £120.

The first thing I do when fitting the rib bed is get it into position internally and then mark the holes at the rear for drilling into the strengthening cross member. I brought the cross member/fitting kit from Vankraft for £49. For the fixing at the front of the bed I used 8mm thick alloy plates as spreader plates. Roughly 80mm square. Remeber to paint all holes drilled through the floor.
To enable the rib bed to fit hard over to the passenger side you may have to manipulate the wheel arch with a rubber mallet. (slightly). This will not be visible externally or internally once fitted, nut just gives you an extra 40-50mm of space for fitting you units.

View attachment 51109

View attachment 51121

View attachment 51122

I missed taking a photo of just the bed fitting, so I have only got photos of the next step which was fitting of the units.

View attachment 51123
I'm planning a build around a 112 RIB bed. Is that what you have here? If so, how deep are the units?

Can I ask you left the original rubber floor in how did that work out we’re keen to do same and cover Kombi seat brackets but from what I’ve read we’ve got to strip it rather than place on top only want full width rib bed rather than units?

Back