Securing my spare wheel

From my post on the other thread…

17" wheel now on the carrier. I hade to drop the carrier down to it's lowest setting. I then bought 2 x security bolts, each one having different setting on their sockets for removal. I also bought a security shroud to put one of the security bolts through. I tightened everything up so that the wheel was snug but the tyre wall was not compressed. I then measured the distance of the thread showing on the security bolt, removed the bolts, cut 2 sections of stainless steel pipe to the measurements of the showing thread of the security bolts. I then greased the threads and re- fitted the security bolts, pushing them through the stainless pipe section, ratcheting them up into the carrier until the heads were solid up against the carrier and the sections pipe were compressed tight. I live in hope that the visual appearance of the shroud which is bright red, the 2 sections of pipe preventing access to the threads and the bolts each needing there own individual socket to undo them. A person can only do so much and I realise that given enough time and opportunity my spare wheel carrier with never be 'Scrote Proof'.
What length are the stainless steel pipes you used with the bolts?

What length are the stainless steel pipes you used with the bolts?
Depends on the width of your tyre. You just have to wing it and cut to size by fitting your security bolts, wind them in enough to secure the wheel in the carrier then measure the amount of bolt that needs covering and cut to fit.

Depends on the width of your tyre. You just have to wing it and cut to size by fitting your security bolts, wind them in enough to secure the wheel in the carrier then measure the amount of bolt that needs covering and cut to fit.
I assume your spare tyre size is 235/55 17 and not 135? I’m using a 235/50 18 so in theory the spacer length should be the same.

Back