Second Battery...

Lucifuge911

I'm taking delivery of a new T6 T32 Kombi 150ps Highline in a couple of weeks which I think will be pretty fine! Chrome sidebars, rear spoiler and front splitter to make it look like a hooligan and then comfort dash and nice leather seats to make it look smart inside. Literally cannot wait to take delivery!

However (please forgive my unbelievable stupidity here) there are a couple of options I'm getting that I don't really understand (it was in-stock at the dealer). One being a second battery with cut-off relay. What can I use this for (powering stuff, I imagine...)? What kind of things can I plug into it, and do I require an assortment of different adapters/connectors etc?

I'll be using it for work and for driving around Europe on holidays where we might do a bit of camping - but I've only ever been camping once so I'm not really up to speed on the various bits of kit that campers use.

Any advice would be helpful!

Cheers!

Depending on the spec of the van, it will be a second 12v battery situated under the passenger or drivers seat.

you can use it to run 12v kit for caravaning/camping . . . . like, 12v LED lighting, 12v cooler/fridge, 12v USB chargers for phones/ipads etc, small mains inverter for small 240vac loads.. . . . . and much more.

most likley LEDS lights for the evening and a cooler box for your beers/milk and USB charging for your mobile tech.

The idea being you can use the second 12v battery for camping . . . . leaving the vans starter battery just for starting the van . . . . (saves the flat battery problem, as the starter battery is not being used for camping . . . . the "relay" is use to isolate the batteries from each other)

Depending on the spec of the van, it will be a second 12v battery situated under the passenger or drivers seat.

you can use it to run 12v kit for caravaning/camping . . . . like, 12v LED lighting, 12v cooler/fridge, 12v USB chargers for phones/ipads etc, small mains inverter for small 240vac loads.. . . . . and much more.

most likley LEDS lights for the evening and a cooler box for your beers/milk and USB charging for your mobile tech.

The idea being you can use the second 12v battery for camping . . . . leaving the vans starter battery just for starting the van . . . . (saves the flat battery problem, as the starter battery is not being used for camping . . . . the "relay" is use to isolate the batteries from each other)

I am learning soo much, thanks @Dellmassive
Wish i had spent more time planning - you live and learn.
We have a plug in cool box that seems to drain the Leisure battery in 3 hours if off grid in the camper. Is there any simple calculating you can use to work out how long it should last? I have read all sorts on here where some campers last for days (yes they have a decent fridge).
I know cool boxes can be a heavy draw and I wondering whether getting a fold out solar power connected to the Leisure Battery would really make a difference or take the hit on a quality fridge. I can provide full details of our cool box etc if required. Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks again

Yes cooler boxes are not very efficient and can drain a battery fast.

First thing to do is have a look at you leisure battery to see how many Ah it is.... ie 60Ah 70Ah 90Ah.... then you will have an idea of capacity.

Then remember you can only use the top 50% of that power on SLA batteries..... so if you have a 60Ah battery, you will only have 30Ah to play with.

Check your cooler box for its power rating or fuse size.... for example my cooler box draws 6A when running... or 6A per hour/6Ah...

Then just divide the battery availible power by the cooler box load......

30Ah divided by 6Ah = 5

So you could expect the cooler box to run for 5hrs to a totally flat battery.

People use solar during the summertime to help offset the power usages.... with decent kit you could generate 6ah per 100w of solar...

So 150-200w would be enough to run your loads during the day with enough left over to keep charging the battery, then leaving the charged battery to run your losds overnight....then the cycle repeats the next day...

Provided you had good sun you could run indefinitely.

The factors are...

Battery storage size...
Amount of load being drawn....
Size of solar system...

Loads more info over here 》

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Yes cooler boxes are not very efficient and can drain a battery fast.

First thing to do is have a look at you leisure battery to see how many Ah it is.... ie 60Ah 70Ah 90Ah.... then you will have an idea of capacity.

Then remember you can only use the top 50% of that power on SLA batteries..... so if you have a 60Ah battery, you will only have 30Ah to play with.

Check your cooler box for its power rating or fuse size.... for example my cooler box draws 6A when running... or 6A per hour/6Ah...

Then just divide the battery availible power by the cooler box load......

30Ah divided by 6Ah = 5

So you could expect the cooler box to run for 5hrs to a totally flat battery.

People use solar during the summertime to help offset the power usages.... with decent kit you could generate 6ah per 100w of solar...

So 150-200w would be enough to run your loads during the day with enough left over to keep charging the battery, then leaving the charged battery to run your losds overnight....then the cycle repeats the next day...

Provided you had good sun you could run indefinitely.

The factors are...

Battery storage size...
Amount of load being drawn....
Size of solar system...

Loads more info over here 》

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

@Dellmassive, wow thanks for simple calculator & all the additional information - REALLY CLEAR AND SOO HELPFUL.

Done some checking: The Cooler box works off 3 pin (fyi) or 12v (on camper cigarette Lighter - fed by Leisure Battery). The Cooler Box booklet says the Fuse for 12v = 5A (see comment below from spec page on Cooler Box*). The Battery is 90Ah and is a Banner Energy Bull Class B.

Just to check I got this right:
1. So 45Ah divided by 5A = 9 hours of use VERY best case?
2. FYI the Leisure battery is 2 years old & not regularly charged (I know that is stupid - my fault!). I am guessing this has/will impact how effective the Leisure Battery is now and going forward?
3. Going to have a look at Solar Solution that will provide additional power etc., Any recommendations appreciated?
I am looking for solution that has "Croc clips" for ease of connecting to the Leisure Battery & removal. Will have a proper look at your links & digest.

*Actual energy consumption depends on the use and location of the device = 55kWh. Copy of tech sheet at bottom of this message.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply. Let us know if I have got this right in 1 to 3 above. Have a good Sunupload_2020-3-8_16-6-1.png day evening. Cheers Paul.

upload_2020-3-8_16-6-1.png

@Dellmassive, wow thanks for simple calculator & all the additional information - REALLY CLEAR AND SOO HELPFUL.

Done some checking: The Cooler box works off 3 pin (fyi) or 12v (on camper cigarette Lighter - fed by Leisure Battery). The Cooler Box booklet says the Fuse for 12v = 5A (see comment below from spec page on Cooler Box*). The Battery is 90Ah and is a Banner Energy Bull Class B.

Just to check I got this right:
1. So 45Ah divided by 5A = 9 hours of use VERY best case?
2. FYI the Leisure battery is 2 years old & not regularly charged (I know that is stupid - my fault!). I am guessing this has/will impact how effective the Leisure Battery is now and going forward?
3. Going to have a look at Solar Solution that will provide additional power etc., Any recommendations appreciated?
I am looking for solution that has "Croc clips" for ease of connecting to the Leisure Battery & removal. Will have a proper look at your links & digest.

*Actual energy consumption depends on the use and location of the device = 55kWh. Copy of tech sheet at bottom of this message.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive reply. Let us know if I have got this right in 1 to 3 above. Have a good SunView attachment 62456 day evening. Cheers Paul.

View attachment 62456

1- 45Ah/5A=9hrs yes as a very basic guide,

you can work it out using the power equation "W=V x A" from either the rated watts used or its fusing

so your book states 55W "worst case" which is (55W=12v x 4.5A) or (55w / 12v = 4.5A)

you can see that it will draw 4.5A, but is fused at 5A to stop the fuse from burning out when its running at 4.5A.

your book states 55w-41W which imply it will cycle itself with a thermostat (41w / 12v = 3.5A) = so mathematically it will draw 3.5A to 4.5A

rough guess 45Ah/5A=9hrs
worst guess 45Ah/4.5A=10hrs
best guess 45Ah/3.5A=12.8hrs

an remember that just for the fridge, you then need to add up your USB and LED light loads etc . . . . which will drain the battery quicker.

2 - yes, correct. the only way to properly test a SLA battery is with a meter/tester like one of these : https://amzn.to/2PUQfUr

it will give you its SOC (state of charge), SOH (state of health), voltage and CCA rating.. . . . you then compare this its new CCA rating ie 90Ah.

you might be able to take it into Halfords or similar for them to bench test it for free.

3- solar is a great solution for summer/daylight times, you dont need to have panels stuck to the roof, you can choose the mobile popup ideas..

have a look at my thread for some ideas . . . Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

heres a good starter kit from Renogy . . . . https://amzn.to/331fqdq

1- 45Ah/5A=9hrs yes as a very basic guide,

you can work it out using the power equation "W=V x A" from either the rated watts used or its fusing

so your book states 55W "worst case" which is (55W=12v x 4.5A) or (55w / 12v = 4.5A)

you can see that it will draw 4.5A, but is fused at 5A to stop the fuse from burning out when its running at 4.5A.

your book states 55w-41W which imply it will cycle itself with a thermostat (41w / 12v = 3.5A) = so mathematically it will draw 3.5A to 4.5A

rough guess 45Ah/5A=9hrs
worst guess 45Ah/4.5A=10hrs
best guess 45Ah/3.5A=12.8hrs

an remember that just for the fridge, you then need to add up your USB and LED light loads etc . . . . which will drain the battery quicker.

2 - yes, correct. the only way to properly test a SLA battery is with a meter/tester like one of these : https://amzn.to/2PUQfUr

it will give you its SOC (state of charge), SOH (state of health), voltage and CCA rating.. . . . you then compare this its new CCA rating ie 90Ah.

you might be able to take it into Halfords or similar for them to bench test it for free.

3- solar is a great solution for summer/daylight times, you dont need to have panels stuck to the roof, you can choose the mobile popup ideas..

have a look at my thread for some ideas . . . Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

heres a good starter kit from Renogy . . . . https://amzn.to/331fqdq

@Dellmassive - thank you again, first opportunity to look at this and will have some time to digest properly. You are a real gent taking the time to explain all of the above. Will digest and work through over the next day or so. Chat soon. Paul

Do you have a link of the one you bought off ebay ... and the discount code.

I really liked your post and the detail.

Sorry I am not technical ... but trying to understand. @Dellmassive Has been soo helpful in explaining things to me....he is a genius on this stuff.

I may have a few questions - you happy to answer?.... just thought I would check first!

Cheers Paul

Back