school boy error

veearrsix

VIP Member
So I am swapping out the stock headunit on my t5.1 for a sony aftermarket one. I have mocked up the loom but needed a switched live (as many t5 owners will already know). I considering running a wire down to the fuse box, but decided to have a look behind the headlight switch. I found someone had beaten me to it and installed some redtail telematics gubbins. Anyway, the van isn't part of a fleet anymore so I decided to remove it as it looked like it had been installed by a blindfolded 5 year old with a roll of insulation tape.

The trouble is, I made a school boy error and did not disconnect the battery ad one of the wires that had been butchered was the red/black or black/red wire (perm 12v live) which has touched bare metal and sparked. Thinking nothing of it and the worst that could happen is replace a fuse I fixed the rest of the mess and connected it back up only to find the lights unsurprisingly not working.

I have now checked the fuses under the centre console, under the passenger seat and under the bonnet, finding one 5amp fuse to be blown, which seems to be unrelated position 12 in the top se of fuses (supposedly cigarette lighter, but that shouldn't be a 5a), I have also checked obd eleven and have no error codes showing, but still no lights. The light switch was not connected at the time, so I can rule the switch out. I have checked the voltage on the red/black wire and it is dead.

Any ideas what I might have done?

Have you replaced the blown fuse ?

Personally i would make sure the main battery is charged and not running low, take it for a drive for 5-10 minutes to get all systems going, try a battery disconnect to allow everything to power down and reset after all that go again and see if still not working and do another fault scan if necessary

I had replaced the fuse, but with no change, however I've had another suggestion to cycle the battery after replacing the fuse and this has sorted out the problem.

Back