SCA 194 Elevating Roof

Commando83

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to receive delivery of my T6 in a couple of weeks, my first major job will be installing the elevating roof. I have been advised through a lot of research that the SCA 194 is probably the way forward. I have a few questions I would like to pose to everyone,

Does anyone completely disagree with with the above? I understand that a lot of people choose Reimo but are there any significant reasons why? is HILO a option? I have heard very contrasting reports which lead me to discount them on my initial research.

Can these high end roofs, namely the SCA 194 be supplied, fitted (proffessionally) and colour coded for under 5k? it seems so so expensive.

Any thoughts & experiences are greatly appreciated.

We have an SCA 192 which comes with locks and and bed. Generally the build quality is OK but IMHO the lock design is poor and has caused us a few problems over the past few years. Honestly I doubt Reimo are much better but our main aim was to avoid loads of tent and straps hanging about inside.

I am not sure what colours SCA will do the gel coat in but it can always be resprayed. You should be aware that anything from SCA will take a long time. Not just the roof but I need a replacement hinge and that has taken 5 weeks so far!

HiLo - what more can one say. The look is good, they seem solid enough but then they weigh a LOT, they are EXPENSIVE, and as for customer service? From recent reviews elsewhere it doesn't seem to have got any better. Would I spend that kind of money where customer service continuous to be questionable - would I heck!

We are going for a retro fit Cali roof. I know they are second hand but they will be in good nick colour matched and we will have a T6 canvas and might just fit a new pump.

Thanks for your response, sounds like you have a very similar school of thought to me. With regards to the Reimo, the other day I was looking around my mates, dads camper. He has a Reimo, I couldn't believe how much of the tent just dangled around, especially right behind the drivers head. I suspect this is just because he hasn't stowed it away correctly and is probably the same for all manafacturers.

Who will supply the Cali roof? they are automatic right? didn't know this was even a option so very intrigued?

Speak to Richard at Kernow Transporters, he is in St Just, Cornwall.

He will direct you to Mirko at Premium Camper ( shares Kernows unit ) to install or you can do / have done yourself.

This week, I have had fitted a SCA roof on my LWB T6 See https://www.t6forum.com/threads/camper-build-down-under.298/ We painted it today.

It was relatively simple to fit but you need at least two people to do it and more the better. I am still not sure how all the material for the canvas sides is meant to be stored, at the moment it hangs down. I decided to not fit in the upper bed as we don’t intend to use it. I may cut it in half and only have half up there for storage when camped. I want to fit a two way vent/fan and the upper bed stops that working. How do people store the hang down. Velcro strips to hold up???

The fit was good but it has a couple of MM at the side of the deflector that was filled prior to painting. It really covers the total roof from only a couple of cm from front and no gap at rear. Their fitting instruction said to position it as preferred but there really was only one place it could go. Only other problem is that the pull down cords are so high I will have to install longer ones to reach them. Finish is pretty good but I have not had a good chance to up and down much at this point.

Garry

With the SCA "delux" roof the canvas stores between the bed and the roof so doesn't hang down. There is a sliding closer panel at the front to tidy above the front seats.

So to do away with the bed you would need to make some straps to gather it up?

Whatever you do make sure the roof is well aligned and lubricate the cables and locks and keep them lubricated.

Mine was delivered with a large wooden sheet that I am assuming was the upper bed/internal roof. There was no secondary closing panel supplied. I have not put the upper bed in as we did not want to use it and wanted to fit reverse cycle extractor fan/vent that would not work with the secondary ceiling in. I will make up some velcro straps to hold it all up as you can see from the photo it will hang down around the front seats.
This is what the inside looked like after fitting the roof. protection on the seats whilst doing it.
14111616_10154412133586753_2130270038_n.jpg

Our bed is a metal frame with a laminated sheet underneath and 2 gas struts. There is a sliding laminated panel tha closes the front. It came with the original full conversion so I don't know but it might have been an option from SCA.

On my SCA, about half way down each side when the roof is up, from thr inside, you can see like a heavy duty section running up each side of the canvas. It's inbuilt into the canvas in the same colour but it acts as a strap that pulls the canvas into the centre of the bed as you pull the roof down. As long as this goes the right way then your canvas will be fine.
For the section at the front, mine has a 'leather look' piece that stretches from the front to the edge of the bed itself attaching by Velcro and keeps everything tidy.

There were gas struts in the delivery for the upper bed to lift up when not in use and the whole lot comes down when the top is lowered..
My old Kombi, a 1974 T2, had the elastic around the middle that pulled in the sides as you closed it and I will get the upholsterer who is doing the seat/bed to put that into canvas sides together with a couple of velcro straps that hold up the bulkier front wall of the pop top.
Thanks for the tips and help. Setting up the new T6 top has been a bit of a learning curve for me.

You can get an elastic 'rope' that wraps around the outside and keeps canvas together.... Think they are for sale on the Cali website

Walski, can you put up a photo of how your front canvas is held up. I have been looking at how the best way would be. I have the side units described above to hold the side canvas in place and they work well. I am going to buy a bit of bungy cord tomorrow and wrap it right around the middle and see how that goes as a trial. If it works I may fit a permanent elastic band around the middle to pull it all in. The whole van goes to the upholsterer on Monday for the Cambee R and R bed/seat unit to be upholstered in leather and the interior linings to be fixed on the walls, lining between wall and roof and carpet on other metal areas.

My vans still away having its air ride fitted so can't get a specific photo unfortunately. Best I can offer is this photo from my phone which just shows the cover rolled up in its storage position (roof is up in the picture). Once roof is lowered that cover rolls out and attaches by Velcro all the way along the front edge of the bed board.
Does that make sense?
If I ever get my van back from the fitters some good piccies up if you still need them but likely to be end next week at best

Can you send me the photo please. I don’t have a bed board and that is part of the problem as the bed board would hide all the side canvas up above it.

Great, thanks. Nice seats. I tried some bungy cord around the outside and it all holds up and pulls in well when shut so I am going to get the upholsterer to sew in loops so I can put a cord around the inside to pull it all in as the roof drops. If that is not enough then I will go with how you have it.

That’s from the SCA site and I don’t see a max’ bed weight listed.

Back