Satnav Software

Caravellet6

T6 Legend
Did a search but can't find any word on if/how VW provide software updates on factory units, also hacked off there is no speed camera alert, just a ridiculous omission!

Did a search but can't find any word on if/how VW provide software updates on factory units, also hacked off there is no speed camera alert, just a ridiculous omission!
We've got the discover media plus with nav; and now we also have a tom tom sat on the dash with the bean bag; had another usb fitted into the glove box (usb in glove bod has a vw car stick in it) so that the cable just feeds through the small gap at the bottom of the lid.
Tom tom, live traffic, and speed cameras, 1000 times better than VW's offering, which is just used for a back up

Assuming you have a mobile phone, installs Waze for up to date traffic reports & speed cameras. Free app, owned by Google, but you will be using your data allowance as you drive along!

Assuming you have a mobile phone, installs Waze for up to date traffic reports & speed cameras. Free app, owned by Google, but you will be using your data allowance as you drive along!
Wonder if it would work through Apple Car Play?

This is why we decided against nav. Our last Cali had it and it was a nightmare to update.

Instead our £300 portable Garmin Nuvi updates with a quick connection to my Mac, has speed and camera warnings and brilliant graphics. Also very good at traffic warnings.

I'll never pay extra for factory nav again.

Nope only Apple maps.
Just had a look on apple maps info, and talks about using tom tom and Waze in the licences, although not sure which countries that relates to.
Anybody use Apple Maps via Apple car play?

If you use a smart phone app for navigation, I guess you would need to be careful re a holder. Headlines yesterday "man uses smart phone to play music - no holder - big accident 4 dead" Bloody awful, 10 years gaol/jail.

@chriscroft that accident happened on the A34 not far from where I work. You need to see the footage from it awful. I don't like discover media sat nave in the dash (have one in the Suzuki) I found you have to look down at it taking your eyes of the road where as the tomtom or Garmin you can glance at it quickly not having to worry. Mine needs updateing in the car but I really can't be hassled updating it.

@chriscroft that accident happened on the A34 not far from where I work. You need to see the footage from it awful. I don't like discover media sat nave in the dash (have one in the Suzuki) I found you have to look down at it taking your eyes of the road where as the tomtom or Garmin you can glance at it quickly not having to worry. Mine needs updateing in the car but I really can't be hassled updating it.
Heartbreaking Video Reveals Tragic Cost Of Using Phone While Driving - UK - News - LBC

When I ordered I was adamant that I wanted a "factory fit" sat nav and that is what I asked for without researching what I was getting. What I got was Discovery Media and, whilst I've only done about 700 miles with it so far, I really like. The directions are really clear and the dynamic route guidance got me around some long tailbacks on the M6. Early days but, in my opinion, the system is far better than the factory fit sat nav in my wife's BMW X3 and on a par with my Tom Tom Live (albeit without the speed camera warnings).

As for updates, I've signed up for "Car Net" (free for 3 years) which I think is how the software and/or map updates can be supplied??

Not sure I wanted to see that. The car in which they were killed was pushed by the one behind under the truck you see, the truck was forced up off the ground. When you look at the photo of the accident you can see a silver car in the back of the truck, there is another in-front of that you can just see, That film should be show to everyone caught using a phone it might bring them to their senses , the first car that was hit flew off to the left and landed upside down breaking the guys neck, he was lucky to survive (sorry off topic)

If you use a smart phone app for navigation, I guess you would need to be careful re a holder. Headlines yesterday "man uses smart phone to play music - no holder - big accident 4 dead" Bloody awful, 10 years gaol/jail.
my app connect (carplay) USB connection is in the passenger glove box so phone is plugged in and shut in said box, so pretty safe in that respect.

Just had a look on apple maps info, and talks about using tom tom and Waze in the licences, although not sure which countries that relates to.
Anybody use Apple Maps via Apple car play?
yes, tested and works well

Back