Satnav comes up "offroad" with co-ordinates when I enter a postcode

Apologies - I have not been a very active member on this forum.

My Kombi satnav eventually ceased coming up with coordinates when entering postcode destinations. I THINK it was a combination of setting up WeConnect on my phone, setting primary user and then adjusting the privacy settings back down to share data (furthest on the right on the option screen).

However - what was never resolved was the fact that every now and then, I would enter a postcode, the screen would whirr around as if searching for it and then the whole infotainment system would just reboot !

In the end, I just thought “I have a sh@t one” that must have a hardware issue.

Because I really like the T6.1 Kombi, my solution was to order a new one (LWB which is what I wanted originally) and I assumed that all this would be resolved on the new one.

It arrived yesterday - a few more optional extras such as the bigger fuel tank (pah - not really worth it - I reckon I have got 8L more in than I ever did before and when I look at the range - with a full tank it’s showing less than my previous model with standard tank !) and electric rear door (that is a nice touch)

Really great salesman came out - showed me around and then said “sorry, we still ain’t fixed the postcode / coordinate glitch - this one is the same” and it is…

Im now glued back to the internet to try and work out what I did 1st time around to solve it.

I am STUNNED that VW are fully aware of the issue, but it’s rumbling on unfixed for over a year now.

D52F2965-09EB-4122-8226-AADFDC1870E7.jpeg

The postcode address for VW Beadles Dartford - as displayed in a new T6.1 Kombi - I would have thought that at least the VW garages would come up correctly :)

Offroad is shown on the screen.

- so you don’t REALLY know where you are going.
- when you look in previous destinations you only get a list of coordinates not address’s
- the infotainment is a big chunk of change to splash out for a sat nav that works like it was programmed in 1987…

just my further 2p’s worth.

image.jpg

The postcode address for VW Beadles Dartford - as displayed in a new T6.1 Kombi - I would have thought that at least the VW garages would come up correctly :)

Offroad is shown on the screen.

- so you don’t REALLY know where you are going.
- when you look in previous destinations you only get a list of coordinates not address’s
- the infotainment is a big chunk of change to splash out for a sat nav that works like it was programmed in 1987…

just my further 2p’s worth.

View attachment 123671
Does it feel like the van position is in the centre of the screen or is it off set? I could almost deal with the “off road” issue, but I refuse to believe that the screen is centred properly on mine…..it can’t be this bad……

Does it feel like the van position is in the centre of the screen or is it off set? I could almost deal with the “off road” issue, but I refuse to believe that the screen is centred properly on mine…..it can’t be this bad……
I will check. I can’t recall mine being out of position.

I checked mine also this morning - the arrow is in the centre of the screen and when I "looked around me" the position of the vehicle appears to reflect a fairly accurate position on the road ok. I hope that helps VWEJIT ?
Regards,
Mark

I don’t even have an arrow! My van is off getting some work done, so when I get it back I’ll take some pics. I paid for the upgraded Discover media unit, and so far I’m not impressed……

My new Kombi now has postcode functionality and not the “offroad” co-ordinates nonsense.

I think I have sussed it out more by luck than judgement - with a healthy dose of perseverance…

I cannot say with any degree of certainty which part of the process “fixed” the issue but I :-

registered my Kombi on we connect doing the 2 key process and “ordered” the free we connect plus package.

imported my profile on the infotainment screen in the profile settings. Had to use same email and password as we connect. My profile then appeared.

changed the security setting on my profile to the one furthest on the right “share data”.

rebooted the unit by pressing and holding the power button until the unit fully reboots

even then it did not work. Checked updates - none showing under menu / system.

once we connect email came thru on my email account to confirm profile update and acceptance of “package” an update appeared on the satnav screen with “minor bug fixes” which only seems to appear once you have done all of the above.

accepted update. I then rebooted unit once more holding power button down.

BOOM : enter a postcode and the head unit shows an address and not a poxy co-ordinate.

(As I said - more by luck than judgement)

I just rang the vw main dealer and offered to fix as many of these as he needs for £250 cash a go….

Hi, no I don't think so. It's just the postcodes and what I mentioned earlier.
Cardiff couldn't help. The salesmanagers does the same - glitchy. They think its a new software update by vw that is needed
Hi
I purchased my T Cross in Sept 21 and am having this sat nav issue too. (My 2019 TCross was fine).
I have had updates performed by the dealer and WEConnect to no avail.
I am being passed from pillar to post and have considered returning the car for a full refund.
I have just drafted a complaint email to VW asking why they are still selling cars with a sat nav that is not fit for purpose.
I feel like standing outside the dealership telling all prospective purchasers about this ridiculous issue.
Maybe watchdog is my next option!!!

Hi,
I traded in my blue Kombi and bought a new one, hoping that the issue would not be present the new one.

But it was (And also a new glitch with the SOS feature coming up as an error and the hands free phone connection dies for 30 mins….

software glitches are the Achilles heel for all VW and those cars that use the same console.

Identical issues in my sons new polo - sat nav co-ords and the sos error !

The satnav one I think I have fixed:-

you have to set yourself as primary user - using the 2 key method.
you have to register for we connect app and link the car to we connect
you have to set the privacy to low - to allow positioning and location

at this point the console downloads an update and hey presto - satnav shows postcodes and no co ordinates.

I hope that this helps some of you.

(anybody got a fix for the sos / hands free error ?

I rang vw and it’s the usual reply - awaiting a software fix sorry cannot help you.

it’s pretty poor….

I have been having conversations with VW customer complaints and WE Connect.
Customer service tell me that there is nothing they can do to which I have told them this is not satisfactory.
I have asked them to contact the technical dept as I cannot believe that they are not aware of this issue. I cannot be the only customer to complain.
I refuse to let this go as on principle I believe they are selling vehicles with sat navs that are not fit for purpose.
Has anyone else complained direct to VW?

Reactions: DXX
Worrying inaccuracy, you could think you’re driving through Germany and then find you’ve strayed over the border into Poland.

OK guys, hands up straight away that I don't have a transporter. Just wanted to add a comment that I've just bought a 2021 Golf GTI and it has exactly the same problem, so it seems to be widespread and is ongoing... :(

Back