Sargent + Leisure Battery Charging Help

Crallc

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice if you can help. I've recently purchased a T6 Highline converted camper and I have no clue what I should and shouldn't be doing to ensure that I manage and charge the leisure battery correctly. I've taken photos of what's been installed during the conversation and I will try and explain my my issue (or what I think is my issue).

It has a Platinum AGM Plus 100Ah 12v battery3.jpeg
CTEK D250SE

5.jpeg

Sargent EC155

6.jpeg

and a Sargent EC50 Control Panel
4.jpeg

I believe that is everything and here is a wider shot of the area where this is all installed....
1.jpeg

Since purchased I've used it once on a campsite by EHU and The seller told me once connected to EHU switch the red charger button on on the EC155 and the EC50 control panel showed full (green) LED on the 'L' battery for the duration of that trip.

Since then its been sitting on my driveway apart from the odd drive around town and the 'L' battery is sitting the yellow area on the LED indicator on the EC50. I purchased a Crusader J220 Uk Mains Converter Lead from Amazon

7.PNG

I hooked up the camper via this to a main wall socket in my garage and switched the EC155 charger switch on (which lit but wouldn't if the EHU was disconnected) but I noticed that the LED indicators n the EC50 panel didn't show up full (at the green) like it did on the campsite. Anyway, I've left it connected (its been approx. 50hrs) and the 'L' battery LED indicator has not moved (still at the level you see in the EC50 photo above (amber)). I just taken it out for a drive for approx. 1hr to see if that would show on the EC50 panel if the 'L' battery has been charged any more but still the same.

Other that the Sargent EC50 control panel (LED indicators) I don't have any other means of checking whether the leisure battery is being charged and I'm trying to under stand why nothing seems to be charging event though I have it plugged into my garage mains. I assume there must be power coming from the mains if the red charge light is lit (only when connected to mains).

Sorry for such a long winded explanation but hope the details will help one of you to be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Crallc

The EC155 should charge your leisure battery when plugged in to 240v whilst the CTEK 12v DC to DC charger should charge it when you’re driving.
Have you consulted the EC155 manual first?

The EC155 should charge your leisure battery when plugged in to 240v whilst the CTEK 12v DC to DC charger should charge it when you’re driving.
Have you consulted the EC155 manual first?
Thanks for your reply @Ads_Essex. I have read the manual but doesn't seem to be covered in the trouble shooting section. I had a friend come take a look last night who had a voltage meter. The leisure battery was reading 12.3v while hooked up to the mains and 12.3 when disconnected. Identified that the when on EHU power is supplied to 240v ancillary sockets but doesn't seem to be charging the leisure battery at the same time (why if what i believed was happening when I was on EHU on a campsite. So I know for definitely now that the alternator is charging the 'L' battery when engine is running I'm just puzzled why when on main from my garage it only seems to be supplying power to the socket but not topping up the 'L' battery.

I can’t see on the photos but open the panel on the Sargent box which has the trip switches and check they are all on, from memory the battery charger is the third one.

I can’t see on the photos but open the panel on the Sargent box which has the trip switches and check they are all on, from memory the battery charger is the third one.
20210908_112431.jpg
Checked and all seem OK, checked the main cable into the bottom of the unit also. Think I might need to take it to professional.

Oh that’s a shame I had my fingers crossed for an easy fix.
it sounds as if your charger has died as your friend with the voltmeter got the same reading each time when on and off.
you have two choices really, send it to Sargent for repair or use a good independent - I have used this chap in the past and he was very knowledgeable and helpful

Oh that’s a shame I had my fingers crossed for an easy fix.
it sounds as if your charger has died as your friend with the voltmeter got the same reading each time when on and off.
you have two choices really, send it to Sargent for repair or use a good independent - I have used this chap in the past and he was very knowledgeable and helpful
Thanks @Nigel W. It only installed in March and the last time it was 4wks back while on a campsite and it was all good. I will dig out the paperwork (as l only bought the camper 2months back) and I believe the Sargent in in warranty.

Just had a thought, I notice you have an AGM battery - Sargent‘s chargers don’t work well with these so I just wonder if the battery has failed?
a bit of a long shot but do you have another battery you can connect just to try?
Also on your first pic of the battery, you see those big red things, if you open them there will be a 20amp fuse inside just check one hasn’t blown.
Oh just seen your new post, your in warranty that brilliant but an inconvenience.
Can you not speak/take it back to the installer?

Just had a thought, I notice you have an AGM battery - Sargent‘s chargers don’t work well with these so I just wonder if the battery has failed?
a bit of a long shot but do you have another battery you can connect just to try?
Also on your first pic of the battery, you see those big red things, if you open them there will be a 20amp fuse inside just check one hasn’t blown.
Oh just seen your new post, your in warranty that brilliant but an inconvenience.
Can you not speak/take it back to the installer?

The battery was newly installed in March also from the paperwork. the battery seems to be working and charging when the camper is running and also most full now. Unfortunately I don't have another batter to try. All fuses have been checked and look to be in good order. I have messaged the installer and i'm awaiting his response to see what he say. Quite far from where I live so probably easier to take it to a local autoelectrician and see what they say.

Appreciate you advice,.

Last edited:
Thought I'd provide an up. It turns out that the charging unit within the Sargent EC155 that supplies power to the Leisure battery has failed. The company who did the conversion are sending me a Victron 10A smart charger to install to charge the leisure battery when on EHU and advised that I leave the EC155 in place to manage the 12v stuff. He advised that it would be the simplest way as his supplier asked for the EC155 back to inspect and test before replacing.

If it was me I would get them to swop over the Sargent unit under warranty.
I am not 100% familiar with the 155, as I have a 380, but I think, like mine, you can direct the charge when on hook up to either the leisure battery or the vehicle battery. So if you are on an extended stay and the vehicle battery runs low as you have had the radio on, you can give it a quick top up.
if I am correct you would loose this facility.
Do you really want yet another box and another set of cables?
you are going to have to split the incoming mains supply to provide a feed to both of the boxes as I’m guessing the Sargent box is also providing fused supply to any 13amp sockets you have?
if the charger has failed is there a risk of an electrical short or something worse?

If it was me I would get them to swop over the Sargent unit under warranty.
I am not 100% familiar with the 155, as I have a 380, but I think, like mine, you can direct the charge when on hook up to either the leisure battery or the vehicle battery. So if you are on an extended stay and the vehicle battery runs low as you have had the radio on, you can give it a quick top up.
if I am correct you would loose this facility.
Do you really want yet another box and another set of cables?
you are going to have to split the incoming mains supply to provide a feed to both of the boxes as I’m guessing the Sargent box is also providing fused supply to any 13amp sockets you have?
if the charger has failed is there a risk of an electrical short or something worse?
Thanks Nigel, I hadn't though of some of your points but I will discuss these with them. Thanks you for your comment.

Sorry for the late posting but I had to say something, I've had 2 Sargents EC155 units and both mains to battery chargers failed for no reason at all. I paid over a £1000 for a qualified auto electrician to fit the last one, it worked for a few weeks then the same happened. Do yourself a favour buy yourself a stand alone mains 12volt charger. Remove the 16amp charger fuse from the Sargent unit, the Sargent is useless at charging any way. To me there is a design fault on these units, it's OK for the sellers to say send it back under warranty but just to remove the EC155 from my van is a nightmare. I've ordered a brand new VW T6.1, picking it up in a few weeks, I've made sure it doesn't have a EC155 installed though. I've lost count how many times I've read other members in the forum suffering the dreaded Sargent EC155 not charging the leisure battery problem. Thanks Rob

IMG20210811165815.jpg

20210902_093444.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is that the Sargent is a fixed voltage charger so even if it were fixed it would only be suitable for a lead acid battery. Have the same Smart Charger as Roblee and will be using that on mine. Inclined to remove the Sargent altogether once I have figured out the wiring which looks straight forward as fridge, lights and Alarms.

My understanding is that the Sargent is a fixed voltage charger so even if it were fixed it would only be suitable for a lead acid battery. Have the same Smart Charger as Roblee and will be using that on mine. Inclined to remove the Sargent altogether once I have figured out the wiring which looks straight forward as fridge, lights and Alarms.
Yes that separate charger I fitted worked fine and put more charge in the auxiliary battery than ever the Sargent did. Don't forget to remove the 16amp fuse from the Sargent. I didn't mention on my last post but both the old and the new Sergent EC155 chargers went up in smoke when I connected the van to the 250volt via external cable. Very worrying. My new van came from Camperking, but I made sure it didn't use a Sergent regulator. I noticed Camperking have now started to use Sergent power supply units in their new vans.

I was going to convert a vehicle so jury rigged a complete Victron setup including the AC charger. Ended up buying a conversion but it looks like I am going to start swapping out first the Sargent and then the Sterling B2B

Back