Safety issue- Engine dies when changing gear.

In my experience, if you stall the engine, then it is not consistent whether it restarts itself (like SS) or you need to use the key. Perhaps if it knows it has stalled, then it realises that possibly the last thing you want is for the engine to re-start itself.
Of course it will not re-start if the clutch is up.

Pete

In simple terms, yes. Try depressing the clutch before the revs get below 1,000 when you are slowing down. Either when you press the clutch to change down a gear or when you come to a halt.
It will feel odd for a while, but at least it will rule out using too low revs as a cause.
Definitely drive with S-S disabled (light on) when you do this.

Pete
cheers Pete its all a process of elimination

Perhaps set your phone up so it’s recording the revs, gear and road ahead to see if there’s a correlation of when it’s happening? Still shouldn’t happen though

DEFINITELY avoid sub 1000 rpm as suggested by Pete.
The more I think about it and chat to another friend the more I am realising that I have not really driven a manual car that was younger than 10 years old in the last years, so I likely have no clue how to drive with this newer tech and its sensitivities. I'm becoming more confident that this could be the issue

Pauly what ever happened with this story?
Just to follow up on this comment, i think this thread has become mixed with different issues that have been grouped under one 'banner' if you like

My previous comment was in relation to a rare and severe fault that saw vehicles cut the engine under normal driving conditions (if i remember correctly without rereading the thread it was changing gear (allowing engine to idle) while cornering downhill ?) causing loss of power steering and loss of control of vehicle, i know of a couple of vehicles that were rejected and at least one of them was sent back to factory for VW DE to investigate the issue (which suggests it was known to them ?)

AFAIK the issue was attributed to a faulty control module (or subsystem there of) that related to injectors/fuelling or systems associated with that (guess ECU ?) but i am unaware of any definitive outcome and as it was early in the T6 life cycle would assume any affected vehicles would have been dealt with by now ?

I know its a lot of brackets and question marks but (?)

Just to follow up on this comment, i think this thread has become mixed with different issues that have been grouped under one 'banner' if you like

My previous comment was in relation to a rare and severe fault that saw vehicles cut the engine under normal driving conditions (if i remember correctly without rereading the thread it was changing gear (allowing engine to idle) while cornering downhill ?) causing loss of power steering and loss of control of vehicle, i know of a couple of vehicles that were rejected and at least one of them was sent back to factory for VW DE to investigate the issue (which suggests it was known to them ?)

AFAIK the issue was attributed to a faulty control module (or subsystem there of) that related to injectors/fuelling or systems associated with that (guess ECU ?) but i am unaware of any definitive outcome and as it was early in the T6 life cycle would assume any affected vehicles would have been dealt with by now ?

thanks for that, more test driving today to figure out if I'm just a real sloppy driver and if Eos is more sensitive to my bad habits, all a learning curve.

I've started this thread because it seems to be a different issue to one already posted, where the engine dies at low speed.
Just had the biggest scare of my life- going down a steep'ish hill, with a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Doing about 35mph in 4th gear. I started to change down to 3rd, and the engine died, with the loss of the power steering. Had it all on to navigate the bend and ended up on the grass verge.
I released the clutch in 3rd as it was slowing and it was dead. Once stationary i turned the ignition of, back on and it restarted normally, no warning lights, and didnt do it again on the way home.
It was pretty scary tbh. If the wife had been driving, it would have ended up in a ditch, without doubt. Will contact the dealer on Mon, but i am dreading the "no fault found" answer after a day wasted.

This is happening to me at the moment, van going in this Friday to be looked out by vw, my van was dieing the the other night and I was stuck at a junction, wont then start and I had to ask for help to push it to get it bump started and then it was fine for a few days , not a nice feeling when you have no power steering , I realy don’t know what is wrong with the van, but it will cause a accident to my self or some one else , just hope they find out a problem, ( which they don’t normaly)

I too had this happen a few weeks ago just after traffic lights the engine, brakes & powersteering just stopped was luck to be able to pull over to the kerb but would be killer on motorway etc..

Mine won’t start up again so I’m tomorrow with auto electrician to investigate…

I too had this happen a few weeks ago just after traffic lights the engine, brakes & powersteering just stopped was luck to be able to pull over to the kerb but would be killer on motorway etc..

Mine won’t start up again so I’m tomorrow with auto electrician to investigate…
Jeez.

Keep us posted with any findings.

Was it a crank no start?

Or just dead ie no power?

Been a while since I first commented on this issue, but I still find it absolutely shocking that VW just will not accept liability for a very dangerous problem...
Not that you should, but keep those revs over 1000rpm and switch off Start/Stop!!!

This won't help anything but I was told by someone within the VW dealership network that since VW was brought to its knees over the emissions scandal, they don't do goodwill and they don't fess up to things. They can't afford to! I love my T6 but VW isn't a premium brand. Not of the same order of magnitude but they never sorted the leaky windows.......they did their best to wriggle out of zinc inclusion, the EU6 emissions systems are dubious and they persevered with inadequate/dangerous H4 headlamps. I really hope you get this sorted but don't count on VW.

This won't help anything but I was told by someone within the VW dealership network that since VW was brought to its knees over the emissions scandal, they don't do goodwill and they don't fess up to things. They can't afford to! I love my T6 but VW isn't a premium brand. Not of the same order of magnitude but they never sorted the leaky windows.......they did their best to wriggle out of zinc inclusion, the EU6 emissions systems are dubious and they persevered with inadequate/dangerous H4 headlamps. I really hope you get this sorted but don't count on VW.
Very well said @mopardave ;)

Back