Rusty Door Seals

Steven Bowie

T6 Pro
C39BF029-DEF6-4BAC-BE60-C782917DB72F.jpeg Anyone else had this issue, the seal inside the van that the door would close against, has started to come away as in the pic, and there is a bit of corrosion where the water has ingressed, you can see how this has happened, whoever used the van before has stepped on the seal when getting in and out of the van, not so bothered about the seal as I can repair that with a bit of blak silicon, but the corrosion is another matter, the van is only 8 months old, should I take it back to VW, it’s on the driver side , passenger side is ok

I would take it back, the corrosion is the metal strip inside the seal and not part of the van so changing for a new seal will resolve it
It's quite a common occurence T5s were the same

View attachment 14912 Anyone else had this issue, the seal inside the van that the door would close against, has started to come away as in the pic, and there is a bit of corrosion where the water has ingressed, you can see how this has happened, whoever used the van before has stepped on the seal when getting in and out of the van, not so bothered about the seal as I can repair that with a bit of blak silicon, but the corrosion is another matter, the van is only 8 months old, should I take it back to VW, it’s on the driver side , passenger side is ok

Hi,

Did you get this resolved - and hopefully under warranty?

I have exactly the same problem, except the split I have is a good 4 - 5 inches - as such its 'gaping' somewhat...

I purchase my van used, converted to a Camper but obviously this would have nothing to do with the conversion - hopefully if I take to VW they won't try to say it's chargeable...

Thanks.

Hi,
Sorry about the late reply, I didn't take mine to the dealers, I just repaired it myself, I cleaned the area with wd40, cleaned again with clutch and brake cleaner which evaporates away, then filled the affected area with black silicone sealant, I happy with it, you would never know it head been done, seemingly a common fault, its basically your foot stepping on the seal as you come in and out of the van, I try to avoid this now, the passenger side is ok as yet, but I'll do the same repair there if it splits.

I had the exact same issue. I took the van to the dealer and they fitted a new seal without a problem. The corrosion was as everyone else says was only on the seal and not the bodywork.
Scot

VW marshall have seen my rusty door seal on a 17 Reg @ 8mnths old, they said they've seen others and will process my claim and will let me know. They also wanted to do some fuel line recall, but I told them to hold off until my claim was successful ;)

Well you're one of the lucky ones. VW Exeter said straight off, this is "damage" and so obviously not covered by warranty. '17 Van done 9000 miles.
Whole experience with them doing the service was traumatic.
Ended with going out to van and finding it caked in mud 3 feet high all around .
Idiot in servicing said all cars are driven at end of service and they have to drive along a road used by farmers
(we're in Devon, well fancy that).
Another chap did offer to have it cleaned as when he saw it he was quite shocked, didn't actually believe it had been returned to us in that state. We declined as we'd been waiting 7 hrs for car as it was.
Have since contacted VW customer care and waiting to hear outcome of seal issue.
Needless to say will never use Exeter VW again

Well you're one of the lucky ones. VW Exeter said straight off, this is "damage" and so obviously not covered by warranty. '17 Van done 9000 miles.
Whole experience with them doing the service was traumatic.
Ended with going out to van and finding it caked in mud 3 feet high all around .
Idiot in servicing said all cars are driven at end of service and they have to drive along a road used by farmers
(we're in Devon, well fancy that).
Another chap did offer to have it cleaned as when he saw it he was quite shocked, didn't actually believe it had been returned to us in that state. We declined as we'd been waiting 7 hrs for car as it was.
Have since contacted VW customer care and waiting to hear outcome of seal issue.
Needless to say will never use Exeter VW again
I got mine fixed after speaking to customer care. My dealer said that VW wouldn’t allow them to cover it on warranty and they advised me to phone VWCC. A single phone call did it & they agreed to cover it there & then on the phone.
VWCC did try to say that it was due to the way I got out of the van. Hmmm! So I asked him how come the T5 with 50k miles on it that I use everyday for work was fine, but the new T6 with 6k miles on it was knackered. He shut up at that point and agreed the fix.

Just spoken to VW customer service. No such luck for me. Was told they would speak to dealership and they'll let me know next week.
They said I really needed to speak to van conversion company, as they are the ones responsible, ie for selling me the vehicle.
Seems there's no consistency from anyone.

Back