Rusty door seals - DIY?

andys

Ex member
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve read the thread on this about having them replaced under warranty but mine have only just started to go and it’s well out of warranty. Is it a feasible DIY job and if not, how much has it cost anyone to have a garage do it?

From what I understand it’s a trivial fix. Buy the new seal, remove the old one, noting how it goes on, fit the new one.
This is based on me converting our van, and having to remove and re-fit the side door and rear doors seal.

Pete

From what I understand it’s a trivial fix. Buy the new seal, remove the old one, noting how it goes on, fit the new one.
This is based on me converting our van, and having to remove and re-fit the side door and rear doors seal.

Pete
Does it just pull off?

It similar to a rubber C section, with metal reinforcing within. When trodden on a fair few times, the rubber gives way allowing moisture in and onto the metal reinforcement which is where the rust comes from.
It’s not usually the bodywork that’s rusts but the internal part of the press on seal.

I have done this recently, it is easy but to do a prober job you need to remove / hold back, the trim as it's not just a c section it goes areound the vehicle shell in between the trim and the shell and them over the trim (M section?...).

It's super easy, 20 miuntes to do. You need a hex driver to remove the grab handle and sunglass holder (or you risk bending the trim out of shape). The rest of the trim pops off (including the panel ont he end of the dash) gently, just be careful not to snap the fixings.

When putting back together have a look at the trim sections as some of them hook on each other so it's easier to aseemble in the right order than try to push together (experience talking :slow rofl: ).

Good luck.

Please bear with me guys, I just have my van and I’m no mechanic so there’s going to be a lot of questions. Got home after picking up the van yesterday and immediately noticed the rust near the step. Not a good feeling as I though salt water (it lived by the Bristol Channel) has got to it. Anyway a search on here revealed the problem to not be so serious. So lots of information on getting VW warranty replacement, not a possibility on a 2016 van. How hard is it to do yourself, can’t see any guides on YouTube. Also is the non OEM seals available on eBay a decent option. Suppose that’s a daft question given the originals are Shit.

Back