Rust from swarf trapped behind number plate

Rioja John

Neckender
T6 Guru
Today I fitted a new numberplate surround to the Tailgate of my 10 month old T6.1 and when I removed the numberplate I was gutted as this is what I found.
6D36EE34-916F-4F36-9154-59A4C9F2F65B.jpeg
In December last year I had front fog lights fitted and a reverse camera and the company that I used obviously didn’t clear the swarf that fell behind the numberplate.
Anyway I tried a piece of cloth soaked in oil and that wouldn’t shift it, so I tried a piece of Durgalit wadding and that removed the rusty particles but the paint is pitted so I’ve marked out the numberplate size and wax oiled the marked out area and fitted the numberplate and surround.
I’ve sent the company a photo and shall await their response but I’m not expecting much from them.

John.

Last edited:
Go back to VW, it's supposed to be galvanised :thumbsup:
The filings when cutting holes arnt. VW wont do snything.

Get something like IronX or other fallout remover. Spray to get rid of the filings. They shouldn’t have gone completely through the paint.

The filings when cutting holes arnt. VW wont do snything.

Get something like IronX or other fallout remover. Spray to get rid of the filings. They shouldn’t have gone completely through the paint.
Ahh sorry I missed that they were swarf from cutting :thumbsup:

OP get a pic of the paint damage, depending on how bad it is, some may machine polish out

Back