Run Out Of Diesel

Jimmy-s3

VIP Member
I have recently repaired a bad earth on my fuel sender gauge as the gauge did not work when I bought the van...
Now the fuel gauge works, I don’t fully trust it yet for accuracy so if I run it right down on fuel and it runs out, will it start back up ok once I put 5ltrs back in or will it need priming?

It may need priming by opening the driver's door a few times or jumpering a live onto the lift pump feed under the passenger seat
The biggest risk is running the high-pressure fuel pump dry and ruining the pump and engine in the process.

This is what it’s showing at the minute..
When I first “fixed” the gauge, it was showing just over half a tank and 290 miles..
It’s just wether I can trust it to be true

Not run out on the T6 yet.....

But did run out on the T5.1 and had to use VCDS to run the 2 lift pumps before it would fire up.

That doesn’t sound good...
I think I’d better fill right up and work out from there..
How many litres is the T6 tank?

70 or 80ltrs.

That includes the 10% odd reserve...
Normally when the gauge shows empty and 0miles I can do at least 20 or 30miles before filling up to full...... and still only fill 68ltrs.... indicating there was 2ltrs left in my 70ltr tank.

So I have just been and put 53 litres in the van..
Looking at the photo of my fuel gauge would you say it had around 20litres already in?

Prob the standard 70ltr tank..

80ltr tank was a factory option I wasn't made aware of at the time of ordering ..:mad:

I'd assumed it was 80ltr like my previous T5.1

It just threw me as the fuel gauge hasn’t worked since I’ve had the van (only 3-4weeks) and I’ve only been putting £20-30 in at a time as I didn’t want it to be too heavy when removing the tank..

Back