Rules on van sleeping in car-parks and lay-by’s…

jemmadanielle

Hi…
I have a caravelle which we are using to sleep in for occasional nights. It’s literally just a van, no table, cooker etc.
I’ve noticed lots of signs say free overnight parking but no overnight parking for campervans and motor homes. Does that mean it’s ok to sleep there as I’ve not got a campervan . From the outside we probably look like a camper van… it’s pretty obvious we’re sleeping in it when we have 8 windows to put blinds up on!

I’ve noticed lots of signs say free overnight parking but no overnight parking for campervans and motor homes
I’d suggest their signage is aimed at those wanting to park and then camp away from their vehicles.

Ultimately they don’t want the car park to become a free campsite for campers or MH’s. As above, you’d likely be asked to move on too.

@jemmadanielle
Get some blackout curtains instead of blinds and make a cab divider with matt black face.

OK so it took 13 months to get me arse into gear to take some photos and upload. Here‘s my stealth blind, it provides absolute and complete blackout between the cab and the rear. This has allowed us to sleep in many places where overnighting is not exactly encouraged to say the least.
The photos were taken in bright sunlight, at night the blind is more convincing from a view through the cab windows / windscreen.
Fastened to the B pillar trim with HD stud fasteners and at the top with a zip attaching to the fabric access cover to the Reimo roof. Most of the loading is taken on the standard plastic hooks near the top of the B pillars.
Initially the curtain was installed with a horizontal pole sat in the two plastic hooks but this was unnecessary and is no longer used.
It is possible to unzip the top and allow some ventilation from the cab area with the windows lowered slightly within the wind deflectors.
There is a small ‘pocket’ at the lower nearside to allow access to the internal light switch.
All materials were sourced from Ebay; stainless steel stud fastener kit, blackout curtain fabric, fabric webbing and a decorative self adhesive poster for that sun rise wake up experience.
My lady is a bit of a magician with a sewing machine but this one almost tipped here over the edge trying to get the best fit and make it completely light blocking.
View attachment 83580View attachment 83575View attachment 83576View attachment 83577View attachment 83578View attachment 83579View attachment 83580

I’ve slept in a few car parks this year and don’t mind paying a small amount ….good idea for councils to do this gets more revenue in

Reactions: DXX
We’ve stealthed a few times this year. But not on car parks where it says no overnight sleeping.
We’ve used on-road parking in quiet spots. Blinds down and instead of screen cover I hang a blackout throw from the front edge of the pop top frame and down behind the front seats.
Make the bed elsewhere and turn up and sleep in the back.
This pic is just off the town square in Portree at the side of the council offices but I’ve done the same in the lakes too.
1E5CB74F-4DA8-43E2-85CD-C3976B55A111.jpeg

We’ve stealthed a few times this year. But not on car parks where it says no overnight sleeping.
We’ve used on-road parking in quiet spots. Blinds down and instead of screen cover I hang a blackout throw from the front edge of the pop top frame and down behind the front seats.
This pic is just off the town square in Portree at the side of the council offices but I’ve done the same in the lakes too.
View attachment 130125
Proper job!

To be moved on would be down to the police as the council don’t have the time or resources to do it and are to scared.

View attachment 130125
Seems a great idea, though think our toilet tent may give us away ;)

Back