Routing path for external cables?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking to resite my HUP from below rear bumper to the engine area - problem is my consumer unit is in the back quarter panel and id prefer not to move it (would require removing furniture, finding a new site, making a new quarter panel etc)..

I have excess cable as this was always on longer term plan so could potentially route from current site onwards from the current HUP site but realistically Id want this route to go externally from the current PS rear position up to the under seat grommet (or even direct into engine bay).
  • Are there any sensible routes that can be used that wont expose the cabling too much?
  • Any precautions I should use for the exterior run (eg cable protectors etc)?
If all else fails I can re-cable completely and/or re-site the consumer unit - but id really prefer not to as its a much bigger job given the van's current layout (furniture, tanks, roofing etc)

Hi @Ann3x .
You can route the cables under the van, there are many possibilities and not one preferred route, however under near side keeps the cables away from the exhaust. Always protect the cable, in some form of conduit system. Avoid obvious problems, such as heat, sharp corners etc , basically good installation practices. You will also need to move the RCD to as close as reasonably practicable to the hook up position.

I would question moving the cabling to the front however as there is no reason to do so. :thumbsdown: Also, this cabling is 230/240 volts so be very careful as the consequences of improper installations could be bad.

Have fun!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi @Ann3x .
You can route the cables under the van, there are many possibilities and not one preferred route, however under near side keeps the cables away from the exhaust. Always protect the cable, in some form of conduit system. Avoid obvious problems, such as heat, sharp corners etc , basically good installation practices. You will also need to move the RCD to as close as reasonably practicable to the hook up position.

I would question moving the cabling to the front however as there is no reason to do so. :thumbsdown: Also, this cabling is 230/240 volts so be very careful as the consequences of improper installations could be bad.

Isn’t there a requirement or recommendation to limit the distance between the connection and the RCD? I have 2m in my mind (no idea where this comes from apart from another thread somewhere)

I have 12v going under the van from the drivers seat back to the rear off side, in conduit all the way (hoover hose type flexible stuff) which is fixed under (or I guess over) the undertrays

Hi @Ann3x .

I've got myself an E-grill (GTE badge with concealed HUP behind) that ill be installing - thats why im moving it. It's totally not essential but is a neater solution, and one I've already invested in.

As the HUP cable is already long enough (just currently coiled away in the quarter panel atm) the cable run length is actually staying the same, so consumer unit should be fine as-is - the cable is just moved to a new location, not actually lengthened. I realise a shorter run is preferable but it's working fine currently so....

Typically in domestic installations, the RCD is in the consumer unit which is inches away from the incoming supply. The RCD is there to protect you against electric shock, so any cable before the RCD is not protected, therefore the closer the better. There is likely an RCD on the main supply form the campsite but you can’t guarantee this (or its serviceability). We use a separate RCD and place within 1m of the incoming supply. Also note that Band 1 and 2 installations should not be installed in the same wiring system unless a number of requirements are met. The simplest one and one 12v cables will adhere to is – ‘Every cable or conductor is insulated for the highest voltage present’.

All the best:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've got myself an E-grill (GTE badge with concealed HUP behind) that ill be installing - thats why im moving it. It's totally not essential but is a neater solution, and one I've already invested in.

As the HUP cable is already long enough (just currently coiled away in the quarter panel atm) the cable run length is actually staying the same, so consumer unit should be fine as-is - the cable is just moved to a new location, not actually lengthened. I realise a shorter run is preferable but it's working fine currently so....
Ok makes sense. For me, ref the cable length, my concern would be the cable routing path. As it is the length is coiled up under a panel, so chance of damage is reduced. If it is threaded the entire length of the van, it’s the same length cable but more likely to be damaged (depending on routing path), hence why I would put the RCD closer to the incoming. Your call however as its your van.

Good luck.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ok makes sense. For me, ref the cable length, my concern would be the cable routing path. As it is the length is coiled up under a panel, so chance of damage is reduced. If it is threaded the entire length of the van, it’s the same length cable but more likely to be damaged (depending on routing path), hence why I would put the RCD closer to the incoming. Your call however as its your van.

Good luck.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, agree, that's why i want to consider the route carefully and choose somewhere reasonably protected.

Ill look for some waterproof / toughened conduit perhaps and look to route through the underguards.

Yes, agree, that's why i want to consider the route carefully and choose somewhere reasonably protected.

Ill look for some waterproof / toughened conduit perhaps and look to route through the underguards.
That will work.

Rgds
Ian

Back