Roof rails? For the look

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
So with all this spare time I actually hand washed my van ... Then thought how would a pair of roof rails look?B27591EF-A809-41EB-A84E-56EB89B4E985.jpeg

Thoughts? Suggestions?

@Murdoch ..like you ..though about them...my way of thinking...
  1. Not a work van ...no need to carry
  2. can add to height..some car parks might stop you
  3. Some wind noise
  4. finally ....sometimes less is more
I’ve fitted a rear spoiler to break up the silhouette but they are just personnel thoughts ...ps only just clears the carport by 15mm had to lower the springs by 30mm....but still a nice van:)
9B753649-8FCE-48F1-A628-240A960F83FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Without for me. In fact the ones my van came with are sat in the garage. Mainly in case I ever need to carry anything and need them back on.

If you fit them incorrectly you can get water leaking into the van too.

A satin black set would look nice on that though.

One thing to be wary of is that most racks for sale are purely cosmetic and have no load bearing capability.

If you’ve no plans to carry anything up on the roof then don’t fit them. These vans look so much better without them. There are very specific exceptions, but generally speaking they look much better without.
I just added them on as I think it completes the look! Great thing about these vans is how personal we can make them. Bloody love ‘em!

I just added them on as I think it completes the look! Great thing about these vans is how personal we can make them. Bloody love ‘em!
Couldn’t agree more! Just gotta love it! One basic van can get personalised so many different ways, to anybody’s taste!

We fitted them to our van just in case we wanted to carry anything and also to disguise the solar panel and junction box. They aren't really visible now when standing on the floor and i do agree that everybody is different and so is their idea of what looks right or wrongIMG_5330.JPGIMG_0097.jpg

We fitted them to our van just in case we wanted to carry anything and also to disguise the solar panel and junction box. They aren't really visible now when standing on the floor and i do agree that everybody is different and so is their idea of what looks right or wrong
If those are the ones with plastic feet they are not load rated and are sold as a cosmetic upgrade only. They're perfect for hiding and protecting the solar panel though.

Difficult to really tell from the photos but can I ask if you also have an awning rail fitted as well. If so - did you have any problems fitting the roof bar on top of it ? The reason I ask because we have exactly the same setup with the solar panel and we used the same cable entry fittings as well although ours is fitted 180 deg to yours so Im looking to hide the cable as well. We also have an awning rail but dont want to buy a bar to have it foul on the rail. Hope that makes sense..

If those are the ones with plastic feet they are not load rated and are sold as a cosmetic upgrade only. They're perfect for hiding and protecting the solar panel though.
Yeah,but they’re not. OEM Omtec rated to 70kg

I've got the OEM Omtec ones, same as @Martin Gibson, which are rated at 70kg but they have the plastic feet to fit in the gutter part of the roof. I've still got the paperwork that came with them and I'll be disappointed if VW have sold me a kipper! I've had a 16ft canoe on it no problem but it is nowhere near 70kg. Main aim for it is to mount a Solar Panel and carry the canoe but it would be good to know there is extra capacity.

@marko123 , yes we have an awning rail fitted. It is the one from Lightning Leisure and the roof rails just fit over the top of it. @Lukavell ,the Omtec roof rails are rated at 70kg and do have plastic feet but the ones @Mooncat was talking about are different,less sturdy,have plastic feet and are just for show. The OEM ones like mine are made for the job so if yours are the same,they will be fine,hope this helps

Hi @Murdoch,

Only had my van a few months. This is what I had added so far. I'm going for an Acapulco Blue n' Black / Satin theme

- Satin black Trapezoidal side bars
- Heko Wind Deflectors
- Satin Black Roof Rails (from Vanstyle)
- Neat Mud Guards

Next I will likely go for -

- 19' alloys
- 40mm lowering springs
- Rear Spoiler
- Front Splitter

Cheers,
Cal

Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 21.15.39.png

Last edited:
Hi @Murdoch,

Only had my van a few months. This is what I had added so far. I'm going for an Acapulco Blue n' Black / Satin theme

- Satin black Trapezoidal side bars
- Heko Wind Deflectors
- Satin Black Roof Rails (from Vanstyle)
- Neat Mud Guards

Next I will likely go for -

- 19' alloys
- 40mm lowering springs
- Rear Spoiler
- Front Splitter

Cheers,
Cal

View attachment 66741

^^ - quite like the look of that - how much height does it add?

Also have you increased the amount of window tinting too? I did as I use mine mainly as a work vehicle and carry a lot of expensive kit around!

Hi - no extra window tinting. Just a vignette on the photo. Not sure how might height they'd add. Would hazard a guess at 8-9cm ....

We fitted them to our van just in case we wanted to carry anything and also to disguise the solar panel and junction box. They aren't really visible now when standing on the floor and i do agree that everybody is different and so is their idea of what looks right or wrongView attachment 66062View attachment 66063
Hi Martin,

what solar panel is installed on your van and how many watt power? I’ve been looking at panels and would like to just install one panel over multiple panels.

Hi Martin,

what solar panel is installed on your van and how many watt power? I’ve been looking at panels and would like to just install one panel over multiple panels.
I’m sure @Martin Gibson has the 300W Photonics jobby.

What’s you thought process behind more than one panel - accrued power?
I ask because the van is not our daily driver and the starter often depletes, so I wonder whether to fit a large panel for the leisure battery with a smaller panel for the starter, or one large panel which is then connected to the starter (which’ll recharge the leisure battery from the Ring DC-DC).

Sorry @Murdoch - totally off topic. I like how your van looks without bars - maybe fit those subtle roof rails so you can fit bars as and when needed.

Last edited:
Back