Roof Rails For Caravelle.

Jules

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Dear all, I need to take some windsurfing gear down to France for my kids but do not have rails on my caravelle to put a roof rack(bars). What is the best and cheapest way to get rails fitted please and where in SURREY am I best going to?

thanks

Most internet van accessory shops do rail and bar packages pretty cheap. VW do similar for more ££, the brand is Omtec. Rhino roof racks seem to be very functional. Theres also expedition style racks which range from about £400 to £1500 from companies like 4x4direct or Frontrunner.

Dear all, I need to take some windsurfing gear down to France for my kids but do not have rails on my caravelle to put a roof rack(bars). What is the best and cheapest way to get rails fitted please and where in SURREY am I best going to?

thanks
Hi @Jules , do you still have questions on this or did you get it sorted?
You might have the Roof Rack preparation in the gutters of a Caravelle which would make a big difference to the roof rack required. It looks like a grey/black slot track bolted into the gutters on the roof of the van.
I am also a windsurfer and a bit of a roof rack nerd. I just bought a Thule roof bars set from Amazon for my LWB with the roof rack prep.
If it has the prep you would need the 135cm Thule wing bar evo load bars, (other Thule bars do fit but these are Aero). A Fixpoint Fitting Kit part number 3057 and the Thule 751 Fixpoint Xt Rapid System Footpack for cars with built in fixpoints.
I bought all this on Amazon for about £179 all in, hope that helps.

Hi @Jules , do you still have questions on this or did you get it sorted?
You might have the Roof Rack preparation in the gutters of a Caravelle which would make a big difference to the roof rack required. It looks like a grey/black slot track bolted into the gutters on the roof of the van.
I am also a windsurfer and a bit of a roof rack nerd. I just bought a Thule roof bars set from Amazon for my LWB with the roof rack prep.
If it has the prep you would need the 135cm Thule wing bar evo load bars, (other Thule bars do fit but these are Aero). A Fixpoint Fitting Kit part number 3057 and the Thule 751 Fixpoint Xt Rapid System Footpack for cars with built in fixpoints.
I bought all this on Amazon for about £179 all in, hope that helps.
Hi @Farnorthsurfer sorry for hijacking this thread but as you’re a self confessed roof rail berd you seem the best person to ask about a related theme. I’ve just got a T6 Caravelle and want to put roof rails and then bars on. The gutter in the roof is body coloured but does have 4 mounting screws. There are so many rails and bars available I have no idea what to go for. I’m assuming some are lighter / stronger / more aerodynamic, then just different colours or whatever. I did see some Thule ones that dont need rails and seem to screw directly into those mounts in the roof. I’ll be using the rack for a Kamei roof box from my old car and hopefully one day a Tentbox. Do you have any recommendations for racks? Thanks so much, James

Hi @Farnorthsurfer sorry for hijacking this thread but as you’re a self confessed roof rail berd you seem the best person to ask about a related theme. I’ve just got a T6 Caravelle and want to put roof rails and then bars on. The gutter in the roof is body coloured but does have 4 mounting screws. There are so many rails and bars available I have no idea what to go for. I’m assuming some are lighter / stronger / more aerodynamic, then just different colours or whatever. I did see some Thule ones that dont need rails and seem to screw directly into those mounts in the roof. I’ll be using the rack for a Kamei roof box from my old car and hopefully one day a Tentbox. Do you have any recommendations for racks? Thanks so much, James
If all you have on top is the screws in the gutters and not a slotted rail then you have a standard van. There is a range of different racks or bars available from various manufacturers and your load requirements and depth of pocket will probably determine what you go for. Consumer roof bars like Thule or Atera just need the right foot pack. Or if you want a serious rack for the trades Rhino and a few others are available.
The VW rails and cross bars look good but don’t have a heavy load rating.

If all you have on top is the screws in the gutters and not a slotted rail then you have a standard van. There is a range of different racks or bars available from various manufacturers and your load requirements and depth of pocket will probably determine what you go for. Consumer roof bars like Thule or Atera just need the right foot pack. Or if you want a serious rack for the trades Rhino and a few others are available.
The VW rails and cross bars look good but don’t have a heavy load rating.
That’s really helpful thanks so much

Back