Roof rails and HiLo pop-tops

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I want to fit roof rails to my HiLo. Mainly so I can mount a replaceable solar panel between 2 bars but perhaps some lighter carry duties in the future too. As low profile as possible would be good.

Anyone fitted rails to a HiLo? Which did you go with?

Last edited:
I have gen VW roof rails on mine

XtremeVan fitted some to my van when they done the roof. I don’t know which brand but they’re aftermarket but look OEM.

Is the lateral spacing same as stock VW (is you can use standard roof bars between the rails)? I think the bars are bolted to the HiLo's frame, right?

Is the lateral spacing same as stock VW (is you can use standard roof bars between the rails)? I think the bars are bolted to the HiLo's frame, right?
I don’t know how it’s affixed but the spacing appears the same. I’ve got crossbars on, too, if that helps.

I’m not home and therefore have no measuring tape, but can take more photos.. otherwise these may help:
7274E6A5-F6A0-481A-A39F-CE5DD61BCC18.jpeg D838AF6C-859D-40D0-95EB-F0F69376487C.jpeg 14D0AE52-3383-490E-B846-79EDCEF3CDCC.jpeg 8FFCE751-24CF-4866-8130-B552D275FE33.jpeg 3333172C-8DD8-44EC-A472-C49705D5C6FF.jpeg

Thats useful, thanks - implies that at least its possible to get the spacing right.

My HiLo was fitted in that very room!

I want to fit roof rails to my HiLo. Mainly so I can mount a replaceable solar panel between 2 bars but perhaps some lighter carry duties in the future too. As low profile as possible would be good.

Anyone fitted rails to a HiLo? Which did you go with?
Only noticed this whilst refuelling today:
73AB26FA-0A5B-4D21-8128-22530E480F69.jpeg

lol, yep.....exactly like that. Did you document how you did it to save me reinventing the wheel?
How did you get on with? I'm in the same boat, want to fit a solar panel to a Hilo roof... roof bars are one part of the puzzle, if you managed it, which way did you run the cabling into the van? With the roof up, there's quite a distance to bridge at the back end of the roof...did you manage it?

How did you get on with? I'm in the same boat, want to fit a solar panel to a Hilo roof... roof bars are one part of the puzzle, if you managed it, which way did you run the cabling into the van? With the roof up, there's quite a distance to bridge at the back end of the roof...did you manage it?
Not done it yet - will tho at some point.

Back